Backup and Restore all WMC settings in Win11

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
purpleb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Backup and Restore all WMC settings in Win11

Post by purpleb » Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:00 pm

Just to check, will the backup/restore in the database utilities of in EPG123 client back and restore all channels, mappings, recordings, favorites, EPG and WMC settings? Is there only one backup zip file or could be more?

I used the Win10/11 installer with win11 and I upgraded from 22h1 to 22h2. WMC was still there but took 30 minutes to set everything back up again.

I assume do the backup, then do the upgrade, then come back and do the restore?

Just checking for next time.

Thanks again,
PurpleB

garyan2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:11 am

The backup will cover everything except the EPG itself which all you need to do is import the mxf file again.

For any big updates for Win10/11, the WMC registry settings are deleted. The msi package will add most of them back in but it doesn't know what the tuners were are some WMC settings... it is just the default settings as when first installing WMC.

Before an OS update, you should create a backup.
After the OS update, WMC will run but because the registry entries for your tuners are not present it will reset the database. You will have to perform a WMC TV Setup to get those registry entries created. After that, you can do a restore of the backup and import the mxf file. You'll be back up and running at that point.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io