WMC 8.8.5 and cetonproxy

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
scottward01

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8.8.5 and cetonproxy

Post by scottward01 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Cetonproxy is "An app that allows a Ceton InfiniTV PCI/network tuner to appear as a SiliconDust HDHomeRun to DVR apps," as indicated on the Github development site. I've been successfully using cetonproxy with Emby for the last few months and it seems quite stable.

As an experiment I tried using cetonproxy with WMC 8.8.5, since WMC supposedly recognizes HDHomeRun devices out of the box. Strangely WMC 8.8.5 doesn't see my Ceton, even with cetonproxy running. Would be great if this could be addressed! Also, according to Ceton their Ethernet tuner doesn't require drivers of any kind, so it should be possible to add it back to WMC somehow with or without cetonproxy. Would be a genuine resurrection of the original WMC if we could get this working! I don't really care about the DRM stuff being removed as most of my FiOS channels are unencrypted, but I understand this isn't always the case with other providers.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:24 am

You will need to use the Ceton software and install it after you install WMC. WMC uses the BDA drivers and won't discover any IP tuners on its own. I found that on Win10 and the homeruns, the sequence of the install mattered and I wouldn't see the tuners unless I installed their drivers after I had installed WMC. Reinstalling drivers after WMC also works.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

scottward01

Post by scottward01 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi Gary - I did install the Ceton drivers after installing WMC 8.8.5, but still no luck.