Windows 10 August Update Disabled WMC 8.8.4

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
ejvoetberg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 August Update Disabled WMC 8.8.4

Post by ejvoetberg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:04 am

Hi all,
I accidentally let a Windows Update run on a restart August 17 and it broke Media Center. Launching from the Start Menu or Task Bar fails. I tried running the ehshell.exe directly, that didn't work. Windows also decide to get rid of my restore point, still figuring out why that is.
I have the WMC 8.8.4 package downloaded from mega.nz site back in April. I ran the uninstaller, restarted and ran the installer. The install seems to go smoothly, no errors. No luck though, app still won't launch.
Appreciate any pointers to get things working again.
Best,
EV

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:36 am

You almost certainly need to restore MSSQLLite, which MS have removed in recent builds of windows 10.

The easiest way to do that is to download my add-on or standalone multi tool from technodevotee.co.uk.

The add-on needs to be unzipped into the WMC installer folder so that the CMD files are all together and the BAT files are all together in the bin folder below.

The WMC multi tool needs to be unzipped into a folder on a local drive with a short path without spaces.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 am

technodevotee wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:36 am You almost certainly need to restore MSSQLLite, which MS have removed in recent builds of windows 10.

The easiest way to do that is to download my add-on or standalone multi tool from technodevotee.co.uk.

The add-on needs to be unzipped into the WMC installer folder so that the CMD files are all together and the BAT files are all together in the bin folder below.

The WMC multi tool needs to be unzipped into a folder on a local drive with a short path without spaces.
Silly question does this support DRM ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:44 am

The latest O/S versions that support the DRM required for cable cards are Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 V1511.

It is an issue with the O/S rather than with WMC.

turbojo

Post by turbojo » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi, are the x86 components still lurking anywhere?

Joni

Post by Joni » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:03 am

I had the same problem. Did a clean install of 19041 and forgot to immediately disable windows updates in Group Policy Editor. There were couple of new patches that came from Windows update and SQL fix didn't work anymore, ehshell shows up on the task manager for couple of seconds and then closes. You could uninstall the updates from control panel. I just did a new clean install.

ejvoetberg

Post by ejvoetberg » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:48 am

The MSSQLite Restore worked in my case. Thank you!

AFelectrngineer

Post by AFelectrngineer » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:33 pm

FYI... RE: Restore Point(s) after Win 10 Aug 2020 update.

Win 10 update did remove and turn off my System Protection (Restore Point configuration) after the update.
You can re-enable this function by going to > Control Panel > System and Security > System and then select "System Protection."
This brings up the old familiar System Restore window where you can select "Configure..." to turn on the System Protection Service for your various drives [eg. Local Disk (C) (System)].
NOTE: This is the same place you go to Create a System Restore Point.