Clean Install & New DVB-C Tuners W11/8.8.5/TVMosaic

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tonwes

HTPC Specs: Show details

Clean Install & New DVB-C Tuners W11/8.8.5/TVMosaic

Post by tonwes » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:15 am

Been a fan of MCE ever since the first 2005, but unfortunately my 8.1 system with Digital Devices Duoflex/DVB-C/CI and DVBLink 4.5 has passed away (as well as the local Dutch green button forum). Time for an upgrade, Win11 is now commercially available as well as slim PCs that fit behind the TV or even into my HDMI port…

Searching the Board to get acquainted with the latest - Is the following correct?
- 8.8.5 is the current standard, and it should be possible to install it “just” with included installer over a clean Win11 (at least there are sufficient W10 posts on this topic, should work similarly on W11)
- Hauppauge WinTV dualHD Dual Tuner USB seems to do the trick, Haupauge website is inconclusive it can work out of the box/native with MCE in Europe, or whether some tunersoftware is needed/helpfull.
- If software/drivers are needed (or helpfull) and as DVBLink is no longer supported, TVMosaic (CE) Opensource is the standard for (European) DVB-C (FTA)tuners. While everything seems to be around Kodi or WinTV, wIll this work with MCE and Hauppauge USB tuners?
- If TVMosaic: I do have a NAS lying around unused, but I could install TVMosaic & the tuner straight on the PC. In the NAS-solution DNLA seems to be missing in the opensource CE-version of TVMosaic, hope this is not a showstopper
- Will EPG be exchanged native or with TVMosaic? (Currently I get EPG over the air via DVBLink/DigitalDevices without EPG123)

Thanks for confirmation or advise!
(confirmation/advise on individual issues is also appreciated)

Ton

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:08 pm

Everything you write is fine except I don't think TV Mosaic works at all with WMC - isn't a standalone thing?

And didn't you have to 'upgrade' DVB-Link licenses to work with it?

aquadextrous

Post by aquadextrous » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:50 pm

If you had a DVBLink licence it's worth dropping them an email on afterlife@dvblogic.com to ask for your account to be reset so you can re-register and activate on your new machine. I recently upgraded my mobo and processor to be W11 compliant and fired off an email and while it took a week or so to get a reply they did reset it for me. Was a really good experience to be fair considering they've closed everything! In the meantime while waiting I was just running on the 20 day trial.

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Thanks for the input. Checking an old TVMosaic site (with invalid certificate...) it seems indeed MCE support was lost from DVBLink to TVMosaic.

Considering I will be using an old MS-Surface, no PCIE, I will "upgrade" to Hauppauge Dual DVB-C USB stick, rather then the current Digital Devices Octopus CI PCIE TV card,
could I work without DVBLink and run the tunes native. I see a lot of threats on EPG, never was an issue to me with DVBLink and DVB-C. Would I loose EPG data from the tuner, thus requiring 3rd party EPG subscription?

Thnx again!

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Reconfigured an idle Surface Pro 4, bought a docking station and an USB Hauppaug Dual Tuner, reset en installed the DVBLogic 5.5 TVSource software....

Only to find out that these tuners are likely not supported, neither on PC or on NAS (https://forum.dvblogic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=15)

Any idea how to get a "modern" DVB-C modem to work with MCE? Any other middleware I can try?

(indeed, TVMosaic, the DVBLink successor, does not interface with MCE).

Thanks, Ton

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:21 am

So are you saying that WMC doesn't 'see' the tuners?

Have you tried them using the Hauppauge application to verify that the drivers are installed correctly?

tonwes

Post by tonwes » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 pm

WMC "sees" the native tuners, but WMC can only search for channels on the DVB-T part of this hybrid tuner.

To access DVB-C one need an intermediate, DVB TVSource was the most commonly used pack for this, and I used version 5.5 for Digital Devices Octopus.

TVSource "sees" the tuners, it can tune DVB-T, but only Hauppauge WinTV software can actually scan, store channels and view TV