Media Center EPG: Rovi Guide Data Quality

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
texasex1998

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by texasex1998 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:58 pm

so you were or were not able to get it to tune to 118? I get the tuner in use error when I try. My zip code was also corrected by Rovi, I tried this on a system with EPG123 and one with Rovi, I just can't trick the HD PVR into tuning 118 even though everything appears correct. If you solved that portion I would love to know how.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 pm

texasex1998 wrote:so you were or were not able to get it to tune to 118? I get the tuner in use error when I try. My zip code was also corrected by Rovi, I tried this on a system with EPG123 and one with Rovi, I just can't trick the HD PVR into tuning 118 even though everything appears correct. If you solved that portion I would love to know how.
The method I outlined using the Guide Tool initially worked. The next day after a nightly Rovi update, my channel changing via Colossus IR blaster went berserk. I had to run the MediaCenterRecoveryTask and the ObjectStoreRecoverTask, then go through the Media Center tuner and guide setup to get back control of my Dish Network 211K.

Windom

Post by Windom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:25 am

My series recording for "Takling Saul" wasn't going to record Monday night's episode on AMC. I even switched it from New to New + Rerun but it didn't make a difference. I deleted that one and created a new series recording. Anyone else?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:06 am

Windom wrote:My series recording for "Takling Saul" wasn't going to record Monday night's episode on AMC. I even switched it from New to New + Rerun but it didn't make a difference. I deleted that one and created a new series recording. Anyone else?
I have mine set to "New & rerun" and it is set to record fine. OAD is also correct. It has an episode name of "Finale".

EDIT:

I just remembered... "Talking Saul" was only on for the premiere episode and now again for the finale. When the premiere episode was on, I made a post here indicating that it may not have a correct seriesID since it was missing the series thumbnail. When the finale episode first appeared in the guide, it did have a different seriesID (and a thumbnail) and was not set to record, so I deleted and recreated the Series. I completely forgot about it...

So yes, I did have that problem, thanks for reporting it...

robertandrewmason

Post by robertandrewmason » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:38 am

I just got a tv tuner card. I"m a new HTPC enthusiast. Well I downgraded my windows 10 PC to WIndows 7 so I could use Media Center. I can't seem to get any programming data. I've tried using various different zip codes and providers in my area, but still no data. What can I do?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:42 am

robertandrewmason wrote:I just got a tv tuner card. I"m a new HTPC enthusiast. Well I downgraded my windows 10 PC to WIndows 7 so I could use Media Center. I can't seem to get any programming data. I've tried using various different zip codes and providers in my area, but still no data. What can I do?
Which tuner card did you get?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm

robertandrewmason wrote:I just got a tv tuner card. I"m a new HTPC enthusiast. Well I downgraded my windows 10 PC to WIndows 7 so I could use Media Center. I can't seem to get any programming data. I've tried using various different zip codes and providers in my area, but still no data. What can I do?
Use epg123 but you still need to complete a program scan. Like Crash said, you need to let us know what tuner you're using as the channel scan is different based on the tuner used (mainly OTA listing vs CableTV listings).

robertandrewmason

Post by robertandrewmason » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm

My card is a Hauppage HVR 1250 and I have cable, but only HD for local channels with my current setup. Thank you for the feedback.

Windom

Post by Windom » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:09 am

If you record The Real World on MTV, tonight's episode will probably not record. The episode was originally supposed to air last week but was preempted for Prince videos. So Media Center will think that it already recorded that episode when it actually airs for the first time tonight. Same thing for the after show that immediately follows it.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:50 pm

I noticed last night (Wednesday) that the Rovi guide showed the Fox News special programming for Tuesday's primary election. Talk about a day late and a dollar short. I got to get completely off Rovi before college football starts up again. Last season Rovi showed TBA as the teams playing for almost every game.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:49 pm

robertandrewmason wrote:My card is a Hauppage HVR 1250 and I have cable, but only HD for local channels with my current setup. Thank you for the feedback.
Are you in the United States?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:32 pm

For some reason, Rovi decided to replace the perfectly good new episode (5/1/2016 @ 11:45 PM ET) of "Mike Tyson Mysteries" on Cartoon Network (Adult Swim) with an episode of "Bar Rescue" which is neither a cartoon nor a show that ever airs on Cartoon Network (it is normally on Spike TV, and this episode is actually airing from 11pm-midnight ET on Spike on 5/1/2016).

Not to mention that "Bar Rescue" is normally a hour long show, and it is 15 minutes here (the length of "Mike Tyson Mysteries").

I am assuming that someone just made a typo somewhere and this was the result. Rovi really needs better quality control. Any number of automated checks could flag this as an issue (wrong length for this show, wrong network for this show, etc.). You just need a tool that keeps track of what is "normal" and then flag anything that is outside of the normal parameters.

You would think if they cared that they would have some system in place to catch these errors.

I was holding off on reporting this here to see if it was fixed, but since the guide did not update last night, I am guessing we are in for another week or so of no updates (I hope I am wrong), so might as well make everyone aware now.

fzy8gc

Post by fzy8gc » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:51 pm

FYI...I received this from TiVo today.
Dear TiVo Customer:

By now, you may have read that TiVo Inc. is combining with Rovi Corporation. The new company will maintain the TiVo brand and be a leading provider of consumer electronics, discovery solutions, recommendations, and more. Additional details can be found here.

Our relationship with you, our customer, is our top priority and we will continue to provide you with the same best-in-class products and services that you have come to expect.

As a TiVo customer, you have played a critical role in our success to date and we look forward to serving you going forward.

Best Regards,

Ira Bahr
Chief Marketing Officer
TiVo Inc.

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements made or incorporated by reference herein, including, for example, regarding the proposed transactions among TiVo Inc. (the "Company"), Titan Technologies Corporation ("Parent") and Rovi Corporation ("Rovi"), maintenance of the TiVo brand, future provision of services and any other statements about Company or Rovi management's future expectations, beliefs, goals, plans or prospects, are "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These forward-looking statements are based on the Company's current expectations, estimates and projections about its business and industry, management's beliefs and certain assumptions made by the Company and Rovi, all of which are subject to change. Statements that include the words "expect," "intend," "plan," "believe," "project," "anticipate," "will," "may," "would" and similar statements of a future or forward-looking nature may be used to identify forward-looking statements. All forward-looking statements address matters that involve risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, and are not guarantees of future results. Accordingly, there are or will be important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in such statements and, therefore, you should not place undue reliance on any such statements and caution must be exercised in relying on forward-looking statements. We believe that these factors include, but are not limited to, the following: 1) uncertainties as to the timing of the consummation of the transactions and the ability of each party to consummate the transactions; 2) uncertainty as to the actual premium that will be realized by Company stockholders in connection with the proposed transactions; 3) failure to realize the anticipated benefits of the proposed transactions, including as a result of delay in completing the transactions or integrating the businesses of the Company and Rovi; 4) uncertainty as to the long-term value of Parent common stock; 5) unpredictability and severity of natural disasters; 6) adequacy of the Company's or Rovi's risk management and loss limitation methods; 7) the resolution of intellectual property claims; 8) seasonal trends that impact consumer electronics sales; 9) Parent's ability to implement its business strategy; 10) adequacy of Parent's, the Company's or Rovi's loss reserves; 11) retention of key executives by the Company and Rovi; 12) intense competition from a number of sources; 13) potential loss of business from one or more major licensees; 14) general economic and market conditions; 15) the integration of businesses Parent may acquire or new business ventures Parent may start; 16) evolving legal, regulatory and tax regimes; 17) the expected amount and timing of cost savings and operating synergies; 18) failure to receive the approval of the stockholders of either the Company or Rovi; 19) litigation related to the transactions; 20) unexpected costs, charges or expenses resulting from the transactions; and 21) other developments in the DVR and advanced television solutions market, as well as management's response to any of the aforementioned factors.

The foregoing review of important factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read in conjunction with the other cautionary statements that are included herein and elsewhere, including the Risk Factors included in our most recent reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q and other documents of the Company, Parent and Rovi on file with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"). Our SEC filings are available publicly on the SEC's website at sec.gov. Any forward-looking statements made or incorporated by reference herein are qualified in their entirety by these cautionary statements, and there can be no assurance that the actual results or developments anticipated by us will be realized or, even if substantially realized, that they will have the expected consequences to, or effects on, us or our business or operations. Except to the extent required by applicable law, we undertake no obligation to update publicly or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.

No Offer or Solicitation

This communication shall not constitute an offer to sell or the solicitation of an offer to buy any securities, nor shall there be any sale of securities in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or sale would be unlawful prior to the registration or qualification under the securities laws of any such jurisdiction. No offering of securities shall be made except by means of a prospectus meeting the requirements of Section 10 of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.

Additional Information about the Proposed Transactions and Where to Find It

This communication is not a solicitation of a proxy from any stockholder of the Company, Rovi or Parent. In connection with the Agreement and Plan of Merger among Rovi, the Company, Parent, Nova Acquisition Sub, Inc. and Titan Acquisition Sub, Inc., Rovi, the Company and Parent intend to file relevant materials with the SEC, including a Registration Statement on Form S-4 filed by Parent that will contain a joint proxy statement/prospectus. INVESTORS AND SECURITY HOLDERS ARE URGED TO READ THESE MATERIALS WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT ROVI, TIVO, PARENT AND THE PROPOSED TRANSACTIONS. The Form S-4, including the joint proxy statement/prospectus, and other relevant materials (when they become available), and any other documents filed by the Company, Parent or Rovi with the SEC, may be obtained free of charge at the SEC's web site at sec.gov. In addition, investors and security holders may obtain free copies of the documents filed with the SEC by directing a written request to MacKenzie Partners, Inc., 105 Madison Avenue, New York, New York, 10016, (212) 929-5500.

Participants in the Solicitation

The Company, Rovi, Parent and their respective directors, executive officers and other members of their management and employees, under SEC rules, may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies from Company and Rovi stockholders in connection with the proposed transactions. Investors and security holders may obtain more detailed information regarding the names, affiliations and interests of certain of the Company's executive officers and directors and their ownership of Company common stock in the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2016, which was filed with the SEC on March 23, 2016, and its proxy statement on Schedule 14A for its 2015 annual meeting of stockholders, which was filed with the SEC on June 1, 2015. These documents are available free of charge at the SEC's web site at sec.gov. In addition, investors and security holders may obtain free copies of the documents filed with the SEC by directing a written request to MacKenzie Partners, Inc., 105 Madison Avenue, New York, New York, 10016, (212) 929-5500. Information about the executive officers and directors of Rovi (and, in some instances, Parent) is set forth in Rovi's annual report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ending December 31, 2015, which was filed with the SEC on February 11, 2016, and its proxy statement on Schedule 14A for its 2016 annual meeting of stockholders , which was filed with the SEC on March 11, 2016. These documents are available free of charge at the SEC's web site at sec.gov. Other information regarding the participants in the solicitation and description of their direct and indirect interests, by security holdings or otherwise, which may, in some cases, be different than those of the Company's and Rovi's stockholders generally, will be contained in the Form S-4 and the joint proxy statement/prospectus regarding the proposed transactions that Parent will file with the SEC when it becomes available.
©2016 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. TiVo, the TiVo logo and the TiVo silhouette logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. TiVo Inc.,2160 Gold St., San Jose, CA 95002.
Please review our Privacy Policy.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:21 pm

Wow, huge, scary, sad amount of boiler-plate legalize for what was a content-less, PR, fluffy email message!

STC

Post by STC » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm

That was a pointless email that promised hot air. Basically they have no clue how the merge will affect the existing client base but want to fill your mind with cotton wool. So funny how these American companies disclaim everything. Complete fear of suits. I can just imagine lots of small print stuff on the walls in the staff washrooms.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Windom

Post by Windom » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:11 pm

My existing series recording for BattleBots on ABC wasn't picking up the new episode on 5/10. I had to create a new series recording.

Space

Post by Space » Sun May 01, 2016 2:45 am

Windom wrote:My existing series recording for BattleBots on ABC wasn't picking up the new episode on 5/10. I had to create a new series recording.
Strange, my existing Series from last season worked fine...

Windom

Post by Windom » Mon May 02, 2016 5:43 am

It may have already been mentioned here, but I noticed that a lot of shows on Cartoon Network don't have episode specific information. I'm looking for a couple of specific older Bob's Burgers episodes but will never find them without episode titles! I guess I really should just give EPG123 a try at some point.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 02, 2016 5:51 am

Windom wrote:It may have already been mentioned here, but I noticed that a lot of shows on Cartoon Network don't have episode specific information. I'm looking for a couple of specific older Bob's Burgers episodes but will never find them without episode titles! I guess I really should just give EPG123 a try at some point.
Just looked at every episode of "Bob's Burgers" on the Cartoon Network and they all have ESI in my guide (using Rovi).

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 am

Grimm (NBC) @ 5/13@9pm ET has wrong OAD of 5/10/2016, but since it is within 7 days of airing date, it should still be considered new, so not a problem for WMC.

The season premiere of "Food Network Star" (Food Network) on 5/9 seems to have been assigned the wrong SeriesId, so you will have to set up a new Series or one-off recording for it if it is not fixed before airing (haven't seen one of these type problems in a while, but I guess they haven't fixed it).

"Bates Motel" (A&E, 5/9 @ 9pm ET) has also been assigned the wrong SeriesId.