FreeSAT HD switchover

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

FreeSAT HD switchover

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:37 am

Just incase anyone in the UK isn't already aware, a lot of SD channels are being switched to HD.

A lot of channels (services) are moving transponders and some of the transponders are being switched from DVB-S to DVB-S2.

BBC4HD and CBEEBIES have already moved and some of the regional BBC channels are scheduled to switch next week.

This will obviously mean rescanning and EPG jiggery pokery for us.

I couldn't find any information on the BBC website, Lyngsat or king of sat but there is some information here: https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-frees ... l-upgrade/

shudman

Post by shudman » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:56 am

"Jiggery pokery"...yes, and alas, I have lost my BBC HD channels, never seemingly to be scanned for again with my Hauppauge Nova S2 card. It should pick up HD just fine, and dvbviewer, whilst a little daunting DOES view the BBC HD channels, WMC7 (and WinTV) do not. I have tried countless full scans, and even single transponder scans. I saw a thread here about EPG123 and its transponder import and then a full TVsetup again - is that what is truly needed ? CH4HD and CH5 are fine
Any help, appreciated.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:41 am

Did you have any luck running the Hauppauge dvbs2 patch in order to import the necessary additional data into the registry before scanning for the new / moved channels?

Here is another post on another forum mentioning the extra information that is needed in order for MC to be able to tune into dvb-s2 channels:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... auge-cards

Basically, the Nova HD S2 card will not find any DVB-S2 channels unless the required transponder information has been added to the registry beforehand.

The default satellite data that Media Center uses during TV setup doesn't include the necessary data for all of the transponders that now carry DVB-S2 channels.

I (along with several other users going back 10 years or more) used to have the exact same card in my MC machine - I posted the patch tool in your other thread.

Let us know how you get on with the tool - there are also ways to add the data into the registry manually if you prefer.

The Hauppauge forums used to have lots of information regarding the tool but the links all result in a 404 errors now - I assume that because Media Center is no longer supported, they took down the information. Much like Microsoft did with the old expert forums.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

shudman

Post by shudman » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:32 am

@holidayboy - thankyou for trying to keep me honest.

Yep, I have tried the "old" Hauppuage DVB-S2 patch tool, with the default satellite list, and with a new slimmed down "just" Astra 28.8E FREESAT....to no avail. I saw the DVB reg keys got added, and especially the 10847 frequency key for BBC HD and I amended the 2 values (from the link in your post). Rebooted, rescanned full transponders, single 10847 transponder and an then a channel rescan....and still got no BBC HD :( Do you know if that should/would be sufficient ?
Looking in EPG123 client, it still shows the BBC HD channels (transponder info column), as still being on the old SD frequency of 10803. MCE just does not want to seem to find that transponder. Any idea how to kick its pants into seeing it ? Like I said in the other thread, I do get BBC HD if I use DVBviewer ...so I know the card and satellite are fine.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:42 am

From memory, I believe that should be all that's required....

I think I still have my Hauppauge card somewhere - I'll try to find some time to set it up and see if I get the same results.

Could you maybe post your .xml file that you used with the tool?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:10 pm

I did just remember that the old BBC HD channel used to get added as either a random number for the name, or the "VPID" for the channel - it might be worth looking for odd channels that got picked up...
Rob.

shudman

Post by shudman » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:18 am

I have success !!
I persisted with the tool, and with another posting in the WMC10 forum (viewtopic.php?p=140803&hilit=HD+channel ... ge#p140803), managed to get the correct registry settings.
So 100% factual statement....MCE does not see DVB-S2 from a Hauppauge card unless these reg keys are put in first (and rebooted), and then upon reboot, rescan the single transponder.

Code: Select all

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\hcw88bda\DVBS_Params\[b]10818000[/b]]
"unique_key"="28.2E ASTRA 2, EUROBIRD 1"
"symbol_rate"=dword:015ef3c0
"modulation"=dword:0000001b
"fec_inner"=dword:00000003
"polarization"=dword:00000002
"pilot"=dword:00000000
"rolloff"=dword:ffffffff
"broadcast_type"="DVB-S2"
For me, the first line gave me BBC 1 HD. I added another entry under DVBS_Params for 10847000 for BBC 2HD. They did appear on odd channel numbers, so renumbered to 101 and 102

The important "finding " for me, was the correct fec_inner and modulation. The original Hauppauge tool, put these in with different numbers, and I guess it is transponder dependent....but because they are reg keys, who only knows what modulation=1b actually means - I could find no info. I know polarization=2 means Vertical !!

Anyhow, appreciate the assist(s) from folks, and hope this info does actually help someone too.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:23 am

Great stuff !

Thanks for posting the info - I'm sure it will help somebody

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Rob.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:19 pm

@shudman

I'm sorry that I missed your post about this.

The modulation setting for a lot of entries is 1b which seems to correlate to QSPK whereas 1f seems to correlate to 8PSK.

Although I disposed of my Nova HD-S2 cards years ago, I still have all the information I used for configuring them.

The registry settings I made are out of date now of course.

If you would like what i have, feel free to send me a PM.