Are there any viable options to get EPG on Vista WMC?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
nicholas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Are there any viable options to get EPG on Vista WMC?

Post by nicholas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:21 pm

I've got an older computer with activated vista and I'm really trying to avoid updating it unless I absolutely need to...

However, I'm faced with two large issues but one being the fact that I have no idea how to get an EPG... I've used EPG123 to get an MXF file, but I'm unsure of how to "attach" it to WMC.

If anyone has any ideas or experience, please let me know!!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:09 am

The mxf file generated by epg123 probably won't work for VistaMC. You can give a try though, but you will have to edit the mxf file first.

Open the mxf file in notepad, or Notepad++. Replace the version numbers from "6.1.0.0" to "6.0.0.0" (2 places) and then save. You can then try to run loadmxf.exe to import the mxf file into the WMC database. I am not sure of the location, but if it is the same as Win7/8 then it will be in c:\windows\ehome. Assuming that is correct, then the command will be:

Code: Select all

c:\windows\ehome\loadmxf.exe -i "x:\path_to_mxf\epg123.mxf"
I don't have a Vista to play around with so not sure. Also, the document MS provided for the mxf file structure applies to 7MC and 8MC so the entire file may not work with VistaMC.

Good luck.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:12 am

Just saw this, so I'll add my nickel's worth ...

You may not be aware of it, but upgrading Vista to Windows 7 is free, and still works just fine. You simply need to put in a Windows 7 disk and run the Setup program from within Vista (DO NOT boot to the Windows 7 disk). Do NOT choose a "Custom" install -- select "Upgrade". Then just wait an hour or so while it does its trick, and you'll be running Windows 7. Then you won't have any problem with EPG :-)

A few caveats ...
(1) I ALWAYS suggest you IMAGE a system before making any major changes, "just in case". There are a variety of good imaging programs. I use Image for Windows, but Macrium Reflect is a good free alternative.

(2) You have to upgrade to the same bit width ... i.e. if you're running Vista x32, you'll need a 32-bit Windows 7 install disk; or if it's x64 you'll need the x64 installer.

(3) The upgrade will be to the equivalent version. i.e. if you're running Windows Vista Home Premium, you can upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. If it's Vista Ultimate, the upgrade will be to Windows 7 Ultimate.

(4) You will need a Windows 7 install disk and product code; but these are readily available on the internet for < $10

What I do NOT know is whether or not this will work correctly with Media Center. I did, just from grins. run the upgrade on a Vista x32 Home Premium system (a virtual machine) and it worked just fine. I think it's worth trying, but would definitely do Step 1 (IMAGE) first, so if it doesn't do the trick, you can simply restore the image and you'll be right back where you started.