HD preferred missing

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD preferred missing

Post by technodevotee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:22 pm

I may have asked this before but it is driving me nuts (again) so I'll ask again.

On my PC with Satellite tuners, I get the option to record any channel, HD preferred, HD only, SD preferred, SD Only and a specific channel when I add a scheduled recording.

On my PC with Terrestrial tuners, I get the option to record any channel or a specific channel when I add a scheduled recording.

So when I create a keyword schedule I have to go through every recording and select the HD channel on the PC with terrestrial tuners.

However, If I create a schedule on the PC with satellite tuners and import that into the PC with Terrestrial tuners, I usually get the option in the schedule.

Does anyone know what enables or disables the option to choose HD, SD or any?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 pm

I'm not sure why the HD options are missing (I'm sure Gary would know), but I do know that those options do not mean to record from the HD channel. They mean to only record or prefer programs that have the "HD" indicator on them. If the program is in HD and on an HD channel but for some reason the guide listing does not have that program marked as HD it will not be considered an HD program.

So one thing you can look at is to see if the programs in your guide have the "HD" indicator on them, although I don't know if that would affect the availability of the HD record options.

If none have the HD indicator, then it may be that you have incorrect listings associated with your channels (you are using the SD listings instead of the HD listings).

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:36 pm

HD broadcasts do have the flag on both PCs.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:19 pm

I'm not sure either why the HD/SD preferences would not be available. I thought maybe it was dependent on what was available in the guide (if only SD, or only HD is available then no options), but that doesn't make a difference on my tests here. Must be something specific about DVB-T? Weird though. I'll see if I can find any reason for that behavior.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:06 pm

thanks.

I've done a comparison of the registry entries between the two systems and can't see anything that helps.

I've currently got two TBS 6982 and two Hauppauge WinTV HD satellite cards and one Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD Terrestrial tuner.

The issue is the same for every PC that I install and every version of Windows I've tried: When the DVB-T2 tuner is installed, there's no HD preferred option and when the DVB-S2 card(s) is/are installed there is.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:10 am

In order to show those options when creating a request, WMC needs to recognize that the TV Setup has been "configured for HDTV". Problem is, it appears only "Digital Cable", "ATSC", "ATSCCable", "ClearQAM", "ISDB-T", and "DVB-S" are recognized as being configured for HDTV. Don't know why DVB-T is not included, but this is why it doesn't show those options.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Thanks.

DVB-T2 transmissions didn't start until 2010 so I guess it was never baked in when WMC was created.

I'm not sure when the last updates were made to WMC but I'd be surprised if it was touched after then.