Why is my WMC Prog Guide (UK) still working??

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
andyrob

HTPC Specs: Show details

Why is my WMC Prog Guide (UK) still working??

Post by andyrob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:51 am

Here in the UK, I have three very old, much loved and used, Vaio XL201s, each running the last version of W7 Prof 32bit and updated regularly up until when the updates stopped in January. I mess around with each of my PCs a little - but only to keep them up-to-date, scanned and running smoothly.

It's been a Death Row experience - waiting for the Prog Guide to stop updating. I got the warnings but buried my head in the sand and waited for the evil day.

Today, 19 July 2020, one of the Vaios has no Guide listings and one has a correct listing for 2 channels (from around 50 stations on the listing).

The third, the one that I use as my daily runner, has continued to update itself perfectly all year.

Does anyone know why this Vaio's programme guide is still working properly? Does anyone else have the same good fortune - and does anyone know what I must NOT do (on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle) to keep my listings updating, as now?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:31 pm

andyrob wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:51 am Does anyone know why this Vaio's programme guide is still working properly?
WMC on Windows 7 has the ability to use the EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals in the UK. However, there are various quirks:

(1) It is 7 days only (the Microsoft internet EPG was 14 days).
(2) WMC7 cannot understand the "encrypted" EPG for the HD channels.
(3) It does not contain the info needed for WMC to perform series recording.
(4) It does not contain the info needed to avoid recording repeats (there is no "this is a repeat" flag).

If your HD channels have no EPG, and the EPG is for 7 days only, you are probably using the broadcast EPG. I don't remember whether it is enabled by default, or whether you have to enable it explicitly.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:40 pm

This reminds me of my old XP Media Center. When MS switched to ROVI they stopped the XP guide from updating. I was able to use a first edition (2002) of Media Center to download the guide and move it to my 2005 edition. Maybe your version is old enough that it is querying a server MS forgot to turn off. Probably not in this case, but good memories....

andyrob

Post by andyrob » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 am

[/quote]
WMC on Windows 7 has the ability to use the EPG that is broadcast with the TV signals in the UK. However, there are various quirks:

(4) It does not contain the info needed to avoid recording repeats (there is no "this is a repeat" flag).

[/quote]

Many thanks for that info, CyberSimian - I've browsed the EPG issue for months and not seen anyone mention your points before.

You're right about (1), (2) and (3) but, interestingly, I can still do "Recording Series" (and WMC remembers a series I recorded many moons ago and carries on recording it when it gets broadcast again).

So now I have to work out why I have most of the BBC TV and radio listings (for 7 days, as you said) - but nothing else on one Vaio and nothing on the second. I think it will be resolved by retuning all the stations and will report back.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm

I think you have to watch channels (as live TV) for the OTA EPG to populate.

A trick for the HD channels is to configure them to use the guide data for the corresponding SD version of the channel.

However, a much better option is to switch to using EPG123.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:05 pm

IT Troll wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm...switch to using EPG123.
I vote that this be the standard "viable" solution for all issues concerning the WMC guide. :lol:

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:49 pm

andyrob wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:53 am

[/quote]

Many thanks for that info, CyberSimian - I've browsed the EPG issue for months and not seen anyone mention your points before.

You're right about (1), (2) and (3) but, interestingly, I can still do "Recording Series" (and WMC remembers a series I recorded many moons ago and carries on recording it when it gets broadcast again).

So now I have to work out why I have most of the BBC TV and radio listings (for 7 days, as you said) - but nothing else on one Vaio and nothing on the second. I think it will be resolved by retuning all the stations and will report back.
[/quote]

if you ever move to another part of the country and need to retune then presumably the epg will no longer be available.....as MS is nolonger supplying the setup info so if you did a MC reset then you are stuffed I suspect

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:53 am

StinkyImp wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:05 pm
IT Troll wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:50 pm...switch to using EPG123.
I vote that this be the standard "viable" solution for all issues concerning the WMC guide. :lol:
And EPG Collector
It's nice to have choices.