How to Disable Guide Download/Remind Me Later Dialog?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
n127

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to Disable Guide Download/Remind Me Later Dialog?

Post by n127 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:06 pm

For those who don't use a guide, every now and then we get the following dialog:

Guide listings will be out of date in fewer than 3 days. Select Download to get the latest Guide listings.
[Download] [Remind Me Later]

How to disable that dialog, for those who want to remain Guide-less?

I searched the forum, and found nothing. Checking the registry, I found "EnableNotifications" under the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center

I changed it from 1 to 0, and restarted WMC GUI, but nothing changed. Perhaps a restart is required, I will report back if this option gets rid of that dialog.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I haven't verified, but I believe that warning is based on the end date of the lineup(s) your channels are associated with. If you disconnect the expired lineups from the tuner channels, then I think you will no longer get that warning.

Using EPG123 client, on the left side (merged channels), select any channel, key [Ctrl]+[A] to select all, right-click any merged channel and select 'Unsubscribe'. This will disassociate the channels from any guide and will then no longer have a guide expiry date. All the channels will be disabled at this point so you will need to select all again and then press the spacebar to check all the checkboxes to reenable them all without any guide listings.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

n127

Post by n127 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:38 pm

Thank you Gary for the suggestion, I don't have EPG123 installed, but I found another solution. Setting EnableNotifications registry entry to 0 and restarting didn't get rid of the dialog.

n127

Post by n127 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:38 pm

I found a solution by changing "endTime" registry entry under the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Epg

I changed it to the end of the year, restarted(I don't know if restarting is required), and I no longer get the prompt. Yay!