Jump forward MANY hours keyboard shortcut

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Green Lantern

HTPC Specs: Show details

Jump forward MANY hours keyboard shortcut

Post by Green Lantern » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Years ago I remember reading (I don't remember where) a way to move forward many hours within the guide using the keyboard. For example, rather than tediously moving forward a week in the guide you could type 168 followed by some key combination and you'd jump forward that many hours. You could, of course, enter however many hours you wanted. As best as I can recall, I fairly sure the method was something like that. But after searching I've had no luck finding it again. Rather than just randomly trying a bunch of key combinations, I thought I'd ask here first since others would probably find the answer useful as well. Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten us.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Green Lantern

Post by Green Lantern » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:45 am

adam1991 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:18 pm viewtopic.php?t=806
I had already read that prior to posting. All it mentions are methods to jump ahead 3 hours and 12 hours. It does not mention anything about how to type in a specific number of hours and jump forward that amount.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:47 am

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am

Yeah, the "enter numbers and skip forward/back that amount" is during playback, not in the guide.

The two links provided are a good reference for both the guide and playback shortcuts.

If you enter a number while in the guide (and press "ok" or "enter" or just wait a couple seconds), the guide will go to that channel (or the nearest channel less than the number entered if the channel is not in the guide, or if you enter "1" it will go to the first channel in the guide). Note that when I enter "0" it jumps to channel 571 on my WMC, not sure why. Note that if the guide is already on the channel you enter, it will act as if you pressed the "ok" or "enter" button and bring up the detail screen for the show you were on (or go to live TV if the show is currently live).

There is also another option for the guide not mentioned in that link; if you hold down the left or right arrow key (on the remote or keyboard) it will start to move the selection in the corresponding direction, as well as scrolling the guide, eventually if you keep it held down, it will transition to a screen that will say something like "Saturday morning February 15", then "Saturday midday February 15", then "Saturday evening February 15", then "Sunday morning February 16", etc.

I personally don't use this feature, as I prefer the 12-hour skip (skip forward/back button) as it is much faster.

Also, as a bonus "shortcut": If you are watching live TV and then directly tune in another channel by entering the channel number you can go back to the original channel by just pressing the "ok" button on the remote, you can press the "ok" button again to go back to the original channel. You can use this to monitor two live channels, pressing "ok" to go back and forth.

I wonder if there is a web page with ALL these shortcuts somewhere. I've found some web pages with some of them, but not sure I've found one with ALL of them...

EDIT: I think I figured out why entering "0" while in the guide takes me to channel 571. 571 on my system is "ACC Network" which, if you sort all the channel names alphabetically, is the first channel. So entering "0" takes you to the first channel alphabetically, which does not seem very helpful while the channels are sorted numerically. However, if you do sort them alphabetically, it is helpful, and you can also use the remote to enter letters instead of numbers, which will take you to the channel you type in. For instance, if I enter "tlc" (8555222) it takes me to channel 639 which is TLC. You use the same method of entering letters as you do on the search screen, only there is no useful image on the screen to tell you what number is what letters, so it is a bit difficult (even if the remote has the letters on the number keys like mine does).

benhase

Post by benhase » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:13 pm

Space wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am EDIT: I think I figured out why entering "0" while in the guide takes me to channel 571. 571 on my system is "ACC Network" which, if you sort all the channel names alphabetically, is the first channel. So entering "0" takes you to the first channel alphabetically, which does not seem very helpful while the channels are sorted numerically. However, if you do sort them alphabetically, it is helpful, and you can also use the remote to enter letters instead of numbers, which will take you to the channel you type in. For instance, if I enter "tlc" (8555222) it takes me to channel 639 which is TLC. You use the same method of entering letters as you do on the search screen, only there is no useful image on the screen to tell you what number is what letters, so it is a bit difficult (even if the remote has the letters on the number keys like mine does).
1. I believe your theory is correct. On my setup entering "0" while in the guide takes me to channel 221 which is "AETVDP" which is my first channel name alphabetically.

2. Another useful remote shortcut (especially when viewing a very long recording (like tennis). you can advance in five minute increments while watching recordings.

While viewing a recording, on the remote press and hold the jump forward button ">|" (for a second or two, and then release). A little screen will pop up near the time line stamp. Then quickly press and release the fast forward button ">>", the stamp will advance in five minute increments. When you see where you want to watch press and release the play button ">".

To go backwards in five minutes increments press and hold "|<" (for a second or two, and then release) then quickly press and release "<<". When you see where you want to watch press and release the play button ">".

Both sequences also work on the working buffer while watching a live broadcast.

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm

Hitting '0' on my system also goes to channel 571 (Verizon FIOS Washington DC Metro).
Theory makes sense to me!

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:35 pm

Space wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:51 am Also, as a bonus "shortcut": If you are watching live TV and then directly tune in another channel by entering the channel number you can go back to the original channel by just pressing the "ok" button on the remote, you can press the "ok" button again to go back to the original channel. You can use this to monitor two live channels, pressing "ok" to go back and forth.
This should be known by most folks using WMC after years and years. Hitting the 'OK' button on the remote always functioned similarly to 'Last' on a traditional cable remote.