Guide tool version 1.4

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jonwz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide tool version 1.4

Post by jonwz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:26 pm

Can anyone point me to a download of guidetool version 1.4? I've tried an activated version of 1.25 and it doesn't work well with my configuration.

Thanks in advance, Jon

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm

I've got a few things here to include Guide Tool 1.4. http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/tools/
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Big thanks Gary!

The activated guidetool 1.4 is "kinda" working in copying my channel list with massive epgclient channel disables to another computer. I can do the guidetool xml backup on the configured system and restore it to another system and only the enabled channels appear in the guide.

Unfortunately, the guidetool's CSV backup and restore loses all the disables and gives me all 700 odd channels. I preferred the csv format as it would be simple to crunch the lineup xfinity provides into that format. Again, I'm dealing with over 700 "services" from Schedules Direct, over 500 active signals as indicated by my HDHR3 and that gets filtered down to 186 channels when I take into account the "my xfinity" list of channels that they think I actually get.

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:25 pm I've got a few things here to include Guide Tool 1.4. http://epg123.garyan2.net/downloads/tools/

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm

jonwz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 pm Big thanks Gary!

The activated guidetool 1.4 is "kinda" working in copying my channel list with massive epgclient channel disables to another computer. I can do the guidetool xml backup on the configured system and restore it to another system and only the enabled channels appear in the guide.

Unfortunately, the guidetool's CSV backup and restore loses all the disables and gives me all 700 odd channels. I preferred the csv format as it would be simple to crunch the lineup xfinity provides into that format. Again, I'm dealing with over 700 "services" from Schedules Direct, over 500 active signals as indicated by my HDHR3 and that gets filtered down to 186 channels when I take into account the "my xfinity" list of channels that they think I actually get.
Is there a reason you don't simply configure EPG123 to not download listings for those unwanted channels from Schedules Direct? Without listings, EPG123 will automatically disable them.

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm

tonywagner wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:13 pm
Is there a reason you don't simply configure EPG123 to not download listings for those unwanted channels from Schedules Direct? Without listings, EPG123 will automatically disable them.
Yes. My understanding is that when you configure epg123 to "prune" the channels downloaded from Schedules Direct, any change you make requires a new download and import process - takes time.

When you use epg123 client's "enable/disable" checkmarks your changes are immediate. For example, I have hundreds of music channels included in my xfinity subscription. I can just enable/disable with epg123 client - no download and install needed. Occasionally comcast gives free premium channel weekends, I don't have to do downloads/installs to deal with these changes.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:00 pm

jonwz wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:29 pm Yes. My understanding is that when you configure epg123 to "prune" the channels downloaded from Schedules Direct, any change you make requires a new download and import process - takes time.

When you use epg123 client's "enable/disable" checkmarks your changes are immediate. For example, I have hundreds of music channels included in my xfinity subscription. I can just enable/disable with epg123 client - no download and install needed. Occasionally comcast gives free premium channel weekends, I don't have to do downloads/installs to deal with these changes.
So what's your ideal workflow? How often are you toggling channels on and off? Across how many systems?

Doesn't seem like messing around with Guidetool imports is going to be notably easier than simply changing your download parameters within EPG123. You could even save a few versions of the EPG123 config file -- one with premiums enabled, one disabled, one with music channels enabled, etc. -- and just swap them and do a guide update when you want to make the change.

Otherwise, if you want something super immediate with no downloads, you can just leave all the channels enabled, but make different channel lists within WMC. So when you want music channels, just toggle to the +music guide, when you want the premiums, +premiums. No external fiddling necessary.