No tuner available due to conflict

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
bros

HTPC Specs: Show details

No tuner available due to conflict

Post by bros » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Was having an issue with my setup, posting this so if anyone else gets it, they can fix it

I have a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3-Tuner on Windows 7. I use EPG123 and WMC

So, last night, everything was fine.

Get up this morning (no power outages or anything), try to watch something, and I get the lovely message of no tuner available due to conflict (even though I am watching or recording nothing). I've had this before, so I restart. I come back from the restart and load up WMC - and I am getting a similar error!

So I try to use the HDHomeRun View or whatever, to see if it can see anything. It can't, says I need to update the firmware.

So first, I try the easy thing - update EPG123 to the newest version. Doesn't fix it.

Then I download the newest version of the software from the SiliconDust site.

After like 10 minutes of installing, it finishes installing, and I load up View, and it is able to load a few channels that I try (I try the first channel that comes to mind - our local CBS affiliate, channel 2). It loads, but is in slow motion.

I go back into WMC, try to load a channel, and it gets stuck on "searching for tuners"

I just restarted, select Guide, select a channel (Let's go with 2, the local CBS affiliate, but in SD).

Having that circle turn around for like 30 seconds, then it finally loads the channel! YAY!

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:14 pm

I get it all the time at least every other week
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Upgrading the firmware on the HDHomeRun Prime does not seem like the the ultimate fix for this problem. It insinuates that the older firmware no longer works, which is highly unlikely.

Did you try rebooting the Prime as one of the troubleshooting steps before upgrading the firmware? It could just be the reboot that fixed it and had nothing to do with the new firmware.
Last edited by Space on Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbq_bob

Post by bbq_bob » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:18 pm

I have the same problem. Unfortunately, I don't know the solution yet. I also have Windows 7 with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime. Sometimes I get the "searching for tuners" or "viewing conflict" message. it happens about every other day. Like you everything works fine one night and then the next morning it doesn't work.

I've found that if I run the HDHomeRun Setup, don't change anything but just click Apply, and then start WMC again, then it works fine until the next night.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm

Do the people that have this issue, "searching for tuners", etc. use static IP addressing or just allow the DHCP server to give out a "random" address to your devices?

I set my router (DHCP server) to always give the same IP address to the MAC address of my Prime and my HTPC (this is called "Static DHCP" or "DHCP Reservation") so that they always have the same IP addresses. I've always done this and have never seen this problem (not that I have any idea it is caused by not doing this).

bbq_bob

Post by bbq_bob » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:37 pm

Space wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm Do the people that have this issue, "searching for tuners", etc. use static IP addressing or just allow the DHCP server to give out a "random" address to your devices?

I set my router (DHCP server) to always give the same IP address to the MAC address of my Prime and my HTPC (this is called "Static DHCP" or "DHCP Reservation") so that they always have the same IP addresses. I've always done this and have never seen this problem (not that I have any idea it is caused by not doing this).
Technically, it isn't static since that is done at the client. I have my router configured with a manual assignment for the HDHomerun so that when the DHCP request is made, it always gets the same address. Regardless, I don't think this is the problem since for me and another poster, there weren't any power outages or reboots that would cause new IP addresses to be assigned.

I don't know how things work in the WMC, so this is a guess, but I suspect there is some list that associates a guide channel with a HDHomerun channel or frequency, and that this list is getting erroneously updated, by what I don't know. I think the HDHomerun setup program is making the association again between the guide number and tuner number and so this is what fixes it.

bbq_bob

Post by bbq_bob » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 pm

This problem was occurring fairly regularly for me, but only once per day, so I am not sure if I have it fixed but it didn't occur today. Others may want to try the same thing. EPG123, or really any of the programs to update the guide, have a task that runs. This can be seen in the Task Scheduler. My task was running as the user that I log into when running WMC. In the Task Scheduler, I changed the user to SYSTEM which gets interpreted as NTAUTHORITY\SYSTEM and clicked the box to run with highest privileges. You might not be able to edit the task. If so, export the task to a file, delete the task, and then import the task file and then change the settings.

bros

Post by bros » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 pm

Space wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm Upgrading the firmware on the HDHomeRun Prime does not seem like the the ultimate fix for this problem. It insinuates that the older firmware no longer works, which is highly unlikely.

Did you try rebooting the Prime as one of the troubleshooting steps before upgrading the firmware? It could just be the reboot that fixed it and had nothing to do with the new firmware.
Yes, I had turned off the Prime for 2 minutes and then I tried it.

I should have tried to reboot in between EPG123 update and firmware update to see if that fixed it, but I had stuff that was going to record pretty shortly, so I had to get it done as soon as I could
Space wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:03 pm Do the people that have this issue, "searching for tuners", etc. use static IP addressing or just allow the DHCP server to give out a "random" address to your devices?

My Prime plugs right into my PVR via Ethernet.