Import guide data into WMC without additional cost

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Winterlight

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Winterlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:17 am

Here it is.. I had to zip it or the forum software wouldn't accept it
Attachments
trace.zip
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 154 times

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:20 am

Here is trace.zip with the log inside. Forum software rejected it as a log or a text, and and also made me write all this unnecessary text because it rejected my post for not enough character so I hope this time it works
Attachments
trace.zip
(714 Bytes) Downloaded 150 times

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:25 am

You haven't done any setup. Just running the setup file is not enough, you need to follow the installation instruction to configure EPG123 to create the file with your guide listings and import them into WMC. I also recommend upgrading to the latest version. Version 1.3.2.20 would create errors in the log when querying Schedules Direct for the version number.

Installation steps start here. I also have a video showing it being done for hdhr2mxf.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:44 am

Ok thanks but I am getting confused about versions... so this is the free HD homerun silicon dust version we are talking about...so now I do have to do setup because previously you told me there was no setup.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:04 am

Sorry, I think I may be confusing matters a bit. HDHR2MXF is part of the installation package for EPG123. The latest EPG123 version (v1.3.3.30) has an updated hdhr2mxf.exe which works with the HDHomeRun CableCard tuners now. The hdhr2mxf.exe version is actually 1.0.5, I think.

It is possible to not perform the [Client Setup] Steps 1 and 2, but it is highly recommended. The MS/Rovi stuff still in your database can cause issues. Also, the Transfer Tool provided with EPG123 will be able to convert your previous MS/Rovi recording requests to work with the new SiliconDust guide data.

To use hdhr2mxf.exe without doing the Client Setup, just perform a WMC TV Setup and use zipcode 00000. Once your tuners are set up, run "hdhr2mxf.exe -import" which will create the mxf file in the same folder and import it into WMC, kicking off the reindexing tasks. If you use OTA tuners, nothing more needs to be done. If you use Cable or QAM, then you need to map the guide listings to the appropriate tuner channels.

How would you like to proceed? I'll help with either way.
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:17 am

Well, I am still confused however, I have installed just the client so I can just go ahead and perform the Client setup as shown in your video. I have both cable tuner and OTA turners so I will follow you setup instructions.. will that work?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:32 am

As long as you included the HDHR2MXF program as well. Just to verify, you have a SiliconDust DVR Service subscription, correct?
- Gary

Winterlight

Post by Winterlight » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:47 am

I have a SiliconDust DVR Service subscription. I have both a HD Homerun Prime 3 turner cable box and a OTA HomeRun Connect Quatro 4 turner box. I have on PC running Windows 8 Pro Media Center.
When I saw your post regarding Version 1.3.2.20 I thought you had fixed the problem with the auto install so I uninstalled what I had installed .. I had planed to purchase a two month Schedules Direct subscritption ... but with your new post I installed the new version. When it didn't auto load the new schedule I posted here

That is what I have done and that is where I am.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:59 am

Okay, so I would recommend following the installation procedure starting with the [Client Setup]. Step 1 is just making a backup of your current configurations and recording requests and preparing a new database. Step 2 is you going through a TV Setup in WMC just like normal except for 2 things... 1) you will need to deny the Program Guide Terms of Service, and 2) it may take a while for WMC to create 9999 merged channels for your Prime tuners. Give it the time to finish and wait until the scanning part actually says you have those 9999 channels PLUS the number of OTA channels you receive.

Step 3 is where it is different for hdhr2mxf. There is no configuration required, it will just run from a command shell and create the mxf file. It will also import that file automatically. Your OTA channels will be automatically mapped to the proper guide listings, but the Prime channels need an initial manual intervention. When the client setup routine is done, just make sure the 'EPG123 HDHR-CC to MXF Converter' lineup is selected on the right side and click the Match by: [# Number] button above the left side channel listings.
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 am

The flexibility of guide appearance in Schedules Direct is just fine. At least it doesn't revert me back to the original WMC guide.

I'm still not 100 percent sold on Schedules Direct, however. I haven't had any luck getting guide data for OTA channels that are not in my Digital Cable lineup.

The EPG123 Client Guide Tool is not allowing me to select my Digital Antenna lineup to subscribe guide channels to, so I'm only able to get data for the channels that can be matched from something in the Digital Cable lineup. Is that something you can help me with? I haven't had any such problem with HDHomeRun DVR or with ChannelsDVR. Not sure why it would be more difficult to get right with EPG123 and SD.

Thanks!
Last edited by tluxon on Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:59 am

I can help, certainly. The client should let you select and match anything to something. Could you take a snapshot of the client and share it here, or email it to support@garyan2.net? Did you include the OTA lineup with Schedules Direct? You can have more than 1 lineup... in your case 2; 1 for your cable and the other for the OTA.
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:13 am

Originally, I didn't select any lineups in my Schedules Direct account. In fact, I'm sure some things occurred out of order as I began by selecting a Client Setup. Yesterday I added both the Digital Antenna and Digital Cable lineups to my account.

Below I've attached 2 screenshots from the Configuration utility showing the two lineups selected and 1 from the Client Guide Tool. The dropdown under Lineup Services doesn't give me any choices other than the digital cable lineup (which I set up initially).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:27 am

Okay, in the client, on the right side select the OTA lineup in the pulldown. Then click the Match by: [# Number] button on the left.

EDIT: Except you haven't downloaded the OTA Lineup yet. In the configuration GUI, click [Save & Execute].
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:48 am

That seemed to do the trick. I notice any mixed case call signs (as they appear in the HDHomeRun lineup) have all been replaced with KOMODT2, KOMODT3, etc. I'll have to see how that looks once the guide is assembled.

Thanks!

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:03 am

It's all good. The channel logos rectify any ambiguity in the call names.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:16 am

I wasn't paying attention enough, but have a question. This thread is concerning the "no additional cost" guide which would be from SiliconDust if you have a DVR Service subscription with them. Your setup is using Schedules Direct for your guide source... is this what you wanted?
- Gary

tluxon

Post by tluxon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:52 am

Going into it, I was looking for something that would provide the functionality I was losing from Microsoft with the easiest path to get there. After reading instructions, it began to appear that either way was going to be a similar amount of work and that I could get to either endpoint beginning with the free trial of Schedules Direct. Now that it seems to be working for all my tuners, I don't mind the $25/yr extra for a bit more information than I would get using just my HDHR DVR subscription with HDHR2MXF.

Thanks again.

Mrbobb

Post by Mrbobb » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:49 am

There is no FREE EPG replacement for WMC then? I don't subscribe to anything, using an hauppauge tuner for OTA DVR only.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:47 am

So you don't buy the things you want and need, then?

You at least have to buy shotgun shells if you're going to shoot your food. Alas, you can't shoot yourself an EPG for WMC.

Surely you subscribe to the electric company. And the water/sewer company.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Mrbobb wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:49 am There is no FREE EPG replacement for WMC then?
There are two completely FREE guide replacements that I know of.
  1. EPG Collector
  2. zap2xml
See this thread for more info. viewtopic.php?p=133142#p133142

Also search the forums for these two since there are posts that give installation advice.

If you want a no-hassle, stable guide replacement, there's no substitute for EPG123. ;)