Microsoft ending EPG for WMC in January

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
plplplpl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by plplplpl » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:18 am

Yes, it looks like end times. Perhaps our unsung hero's computer has been requisitioned and repurposed for crunching COVID-19 RNA.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:49 am

we've been saying that for...3 years?...now.

It's like Lucy and the football.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm

adam1991 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:49 am we've been saying that for...3 years?...now.
No, only since Microsoft announced it last September, so just over 6 months.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... age-center

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 pm

oh, we've been predicting and talking about this ever since MS announced the end of Windows 7.

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:37 pm

adam1991 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:03 pm oh, we've been predicting and talking about this ever since MS announced the end of Windows 7.
?

In a more general sense for Windows 7, sure, but it's only been since MS officially said no more guide that the discussion became commonplace.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pm

tonywagner wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 pm So here's how I got a free, non-Rovi guide right now using zap2xml and xmltv-to-mxf. First steps:
  1. Download and install epg123
  2. Run EPG123 Client, Client Setup, steps 1 & 2 (which will reset WMC -- do a backup first, if you like)
    While setting up WMC, be sure to enter 00000 as your zip code to get a blank guide -- and don't forget to manually add any VHF channels in WMC if necessary
  3. Create the folder C:\epg
  4. Download and install zap2xml, put the resulting "zap2xml.exe" file in C:\epg
  5. Download and install a Java JRE
  6. Download my "xmltv-to-mxf-0.0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar" file (which is just the GitHub version plus my period subchannel fix) and put it in C:\epg as well
    https://file.io/ndLsGO
Once that's done, you can use a batch file for the update process. Save the following as "update.bat" in C:\epg (substituting your own Zap2It username and password, of course!):

Code: Select all

cd C:\epg
zap2xml -u username -p password
java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -jar xmltv-to-mxf-0.0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar xmltv.xml
C:\Windows\ehome\loadmxf -i mxf.xml
%SystemRoot%\ehome\ehPrivJob.exe /DoReindexSearchRoot
Finally, the first time you set this up, you will also have to associate the WMC channels with their guide listings. I just had to click "Match by # Number" in the EPG123 Client and it was done. But future updates can just run the batch file again, unless your channel lineup changes.

Still missing categories in WMC, so I might look into improving the "xmltv-to-mxf" program further.

Also, My Channel Logos seems to behave strangely after this -- but I wasn't really using the logos before, so it's no big deal for me.
This worked great, Thanks !

I guess figuring out how to get the guide data working after import was tricky till I figured it out. On EPG1234 Client, it was just about matching the guide data on right, and your channels on the left, get your Cable's channel listing and go to town (or your local OTA channel list). This was on Windows 8.1, On my Windows 7 partition, it was a nightmare. EPG123 Client would not run but, the classic Guide tool seemed to load and load data fine, so I matched it all up but, when I got into WMC, there was no guide data ! I had to go into edit channels, and Edit listings for EACH channel, type in the channel number and assign guide data to each channel. The data was there but, not lined up with the channels, It's a PIA but, needed to be done once, unless you run TV setup again.

I have moved to 8.1 going forward...I guess my HEX mods to 7 files to fix minor issues, caused more problems than I thought, as other applications, the big one, getting MPC-HC to run my movies in the Movie Library is working with AMAZING results.. I'm in love ! ANYWAY..

So, I have Guide data importing, Shows are scheduled that SHOULD be scheduled. Script after many tests is scheduled. Channel Logos are working by using My Channel Logos (after a few test guide data updates, they are still there), although it didn't find a lot of channels, so I needed to manually do a lot of channels. I did setup Channel logos AFTER guide data was imported from this process, it might of been why mine still works.

The thing I am missing in this test,
-categories
-Images (Shows or movie)

The guide looks so bland with no colors for categories... I played with EPG Collector but, it appears to be targeted for OTA/Satellite users. I have Comcast...

So with this method, is there a way to get categories and could images be cashed from IMDB or something so they would all show in the guide ? Or is this the limit of THIS setup ?

Just wondering how far this could go.

Thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pmSo with this method, is there a way to get categories and could images be cashed from IMDB or something so they would all show in the guide ? Or is this the limit of THIS setup ?
You'd have to edit the Java code to include images from zap2xml file or another source. Right now it does no image processing. Same with categories, I think.

EPG Collector is supposed to do this, and also do movie lookups etc., but I never really cared to try! I've kinda moved on from WMC... :(

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm

tonywagner wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:17 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:45 pmSo with this method, is there a way to get categories and could images be cashed from IMDB or something so they would all show in the guide ? Or is this the limit of THIS setup ?
You'd have to edit the Java code to include images from zap2xml file or another source. Right now it does no image processing. Same with categories, I think.

EPG Collector is supposed to do this, and also do movie lookups etc., but I never really cared to try! I've kinda moved on from WMC... :(
Thanks for a reply. I'm not a programmer, so not sure how much good I could do with this.

I played with EPG collector, not sure how it would help as it's designed around OTA, or Satellite providers, not cable.. Maybe I'll dabble with it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:29 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm Thanks for a reply. I'm not a programmer, so not sure how much good I could do with this.

I played with EPG collector, not sure how it would help as it's designed around OTA, or Satellite providers, not cable.. Maybe I'll dabble with it...
EPG Collector can import an XML file too, that’s the key. The tuner scanning part is indeed OTA/satellite and you can ignore it, but the XML import part is provider agnostic.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:44 pm

tonywagner wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:29 pm
DavidinCT wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:12 pm Thanks for a reply. I'm not a programmer, so not sure how much good I could do with this.

EPG Collector can import an XML file too, that’s the key. The tuner scanning part is indeed OTA/satellite and you can ignore it, but the XML import part is provider agnostic.
How well do you know EPG Collector? Can it be used to capture data like categories, actor, director, producer or even images for shows from maybe IMDB or someplace else to import into WMC ?

It's the only limit I am seeing with the java converter (the one you modified or Rays newer one, assuming the . was fixed in it)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm

The below is from earlier in the thread (viewtopic.php?p=133800#p133800). Not much change except the author of EPGC has mitigated a flaw that would have scrambled all channels guide listings if there was a change in the order of channels in the XMLTV file.

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:45 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm The below is from earlier in the thread (viewtopic.php?p=133800#p133800). Not much change except the author of EPGC has mitigated a flaw that would have scrambled all channels guide listings if there was a change in the order of channels in the XMLTV file.
I know it very well, Still trying to see how this option works for a while. You list Zap2MXF as getting a lot more data than than I am getting from these Java jar.

Are you looking for a beta tester for your Zap2mxf ? I'll be glad to play with it to see how it works in my case...I sent you over a PM..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Kick4U

Post by Kick4U » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:40 pm

I'd be happy to test too! I have a HDHomerun as well to test that functionality as well.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 am

ZAP2MXF doesn't need any testers... it works perfectly fine. I haven't released it because of concerns with how it will be used. I took it upon myself to contact the Zap2it folks to get their opinion if zap2xml violates their site's terms of service or not. Schedules Direct gave me a contact with them early January, but I was so busy then with all the new users that needed help, and well, the year 2020 and all its' craziness, I dropped the ball. I will get that request out shortly. If they do mind what zap2xml does with scraping their website, then I see no reason not to release ZAP2MXF.

As for HDHR2MXF, it is part of the EPG123 installation package already. Nothing to test out, but I don't have any documentation on how to use it. Really, it's a standalone that can be incorporated into EPG123 as part of the scheduled task. Works great.
- Gary

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:23 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 am ZAP2MXF doesn't need any testers... it works perfectly fine. I haven't released it because of concerns with how it will be used. I took it upon myself to contact the Zap2it folks to get their opinion if zap2xml violates their site's terms of service or not. Schedules Direct gave me a contact with them early January, but I was so busy then with all the new users that needed help, and well, the year 2020 and all its' craziness, I dropped the ball. I will get that request out shortly. If they do mind what zap2xml does with scraping their website, then I see no reason not to release ZAP2MXF.

As for HDHR2MXF, it is part of the EPG123 installation package already. Nothing to test out, but I don't have any documentation on how to use it. Really, it's a standalone that can be incorporated into EPG123 as part of the scheduled task. Works great.
OK, thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 am

So, this weekend I tried to play with EPG Collector... Tried to set it up... And I tried it... got impressive results... I got categories working (so the guide is colored ! well on 2 channels that I set it up on) and IMAGES for shows and movies !!!!! And now the issue.... I got generic descriptions on shows, no detail, like it's downloading it from someplace else, so how do I get it to pull it from the XML ? As I looked over the XML and it appears to have really good information compared to what is in WMC...

The question for the guide experts... IS it possible to NUKE the guide back to no data WITHOUT re-running setup ? I want to try some things and do some testing but, re-running setup, adds a 1/2 hour to 45 min that I really don't want to deal with (selecting the channels that I get, etc)..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:46 am

You can use the EPG123 client and use the rebuild database button. It will restore everything except the guide data.
- Gary

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 am

garyan2 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:46 am You can use the EPG123 client and use the rebuild database button. It will restore everything except the guide data.
Gary, Thank you ! You are the man !

Thanks again for everything your doing for community !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:29 am So, this weekend I tried to play with EPG Collector... Tried to set it up... And I tried it... got impressive results... I got categories working (so the guide is colored ! well on 2 channels that I set it up on) and IMAGES for shows and movies !!!!! And now the issue.... I got generic descriptions on shows, no detail, like it's downloading it from someplace else, so how do I get it to pull it from the XML ? As I looked over the XML and it appears to have really good information compared to what is in WMC...
I tried EPG Collector for the first time the other day to see if I could pull the OTA PSIP guide info (it comes directly from the OTA program streams). I haven't gotten to the step of having it import into WMC, but I think there's an option for that in there, rather than the XML file? Like garyan2's table says, EPG Collector is definitely not the easiest or most intuitive, but I'm willing to learn how to use it.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:02 pm

mmortal03 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:10 pm I tried EPG Collector for the first time the other day to see if I could pull the OTA PSIP guide info (it comes directly from the OTA program streams). I haven't gotten to the step of having it import into WMC, but I think there's an option for that in there, rather than the XML file? Like garyan2's table says, EPG Collector is definitely not the easiest or most intuitive, but I'm willing to learn how to use it.
I ran EPG Collector for awhile with WMC, pulling OTA PSIP guide data. It worked, and it usually had at least 24 hours guide data on the channels that I watched/recorded, so I just had it do a daily collection around 6 AM or so. Let me know if you need any pointers.