No XP EPG updates, while receiving 8.1 EPG updates

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
angelino

HTPC Specs: Show details

No XP EPG updates, while receiving 8.1 EPG updates

Post by angelino » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:48 pm

I am using an XP MCE 2005 next to a Windows 8.1 with MC. I have my good reasons to keep using my old XP MCE.
Since September 4th the EPG on my XP is not updated, while the EPG on 8.1 is. I did not find out why. I am aware of the problems related to the provider transition in the States, my location is Belgium.
I am looking to alternative ways of getting updates of EPG into my XP MCE. The most easy way would be to copy and insert the EPG file from 8.1 into XP. Is this a possible solution ? How to do it ?

angelino

Post by angelino » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:45 pm

Even more confusing for me : from the same local network I can get EPG updates fro my Windows 8.1, and also for my Vista MC. But suddenly, after 10 years, no updates for my XP EPG since September 4th. Any clue somebody ?

When I manually try to update the guide, MCE 2005 says that the updates are downloaded succesfully after only a few seconds, but leaves no trace, not even in the Event Viewer. At the regular schedule for updating the guide, it only mentions the next scheduled download in the Event Viewer.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 pm

Hello angelino, Microsoft has discontinued legacy guide data for XP MCE and Vista in North America. I suspect that they are now doing the same thing in Europe, but time will tell. You might want to keep an eye on this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=9191

If your Vista PC has TV Pack 2008 installed, then it does not require legacy EPG data, and in fact uses the same data format as Windows 8.1. But if you do not have TV Pack, then I am as confused as you are about your Vista getting data that your XP cannot get. Sorry, but I don't think there is any simple solution for your XP MCE.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 am

Yes, XP media center guide data is no more. MS switched guide data to ROVI (instead of Zap2it). Someone on this thread found an intricate workaround http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 372#p94372 but I don't think MS would ever get ROVI on to XP since they want people stop using the older operating systems.

angelino

Post by angelino » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:35 pm

Vistaar wrote:If your Vista PC has TV Pack 2008 installed
I was not aware of this TV Pack, as I never did use this Vista for MC recordings.
Now I looked it up, and I cannot install it (KB958653), as the update does not apply anymore to this system (32-bit Ultimate Vista SP2). Argh :evil: .
As MCE on this Vista PC was not active, it was far behind in the guide updates, so yesterday it did perform the last available guide update (fooling me), and now it is in the same situation as my XP MCE - double argh :evil: :evil: .

No way to install this KB after all on the existing Vista SP2, right ?

angelino

Post by angelino » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:44 pm

dkrom wrote:intricate workaround
Thanks dkrom.

I am afraid that the workaround is for the States and not for Belgium.
I am looking into other, similar solutions that hopefully work here, as I understand that trying to inject the 8.1 EPG into the XP MCE will fail.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:05 pm

angelino wrote:
Vistaar wrote:If your Vista PC has TV Pack 2008 installed
No way to install this KB after all on the existing Vista SP2, right ?
Wrong! See this nearby thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =93&t=9031. (KB958653 is not TV Pack, but rather an early version of the Cumulative Update for TV Pack.)

As for your XP machine, the workarounds suggested in the UK thread (e.g. DVBGuide) might work for Belgium, but I'm not sure since I'm American. Of course you could install other PVR software such as NextPVR on one or both PCs. TV Pack does not add H.264 support, but NextPVR with the right decoders can be used with H.264 HD channels. NextPVR is also something you could use with Windows 10.