EPG Cutover Vista SP2

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG Cutover Vista SP2

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:14 am

It appears that some of the troubleshooting steps for Win 7 do not work, or are impossible to perform in Vista SP2. The only suggestion, that I have read is to upgrade Vista with TV Pack (2008 I believe). Some users say this wont work. Others say "it worked for them"

What is your slant on the subject?

How did you get your Vista working with ROVI?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:47 am

Here is one that worked with Vista SP2

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=6#p93207

Search the main EPG cutover thread. I got 18 hits using Vista SP2 in the search bar. Some of them are solutions.
Attachments
EPG_VistaSP2.jpg

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 am

Attachments
Rovi.JPG
Rovi.JPG (17.57 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Windows Update.JPG

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:17 am

If anyone using Vista WMC without TV Pack is getting any guide data from Rovi, now that would be news. Please post and tell us about it!

One thing: Thus far I don't know of anyone who has installed TV Pack on 64-bit Vista. If anyone has, please post and tell us about that too.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Vista users should flood the MS support site, you are still under extended life support. It seems like Vista acts like XP before the TV pack. If enough people get MS to act on Vista then it may save XP too which is out of the support cycle.

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 pm

I'm running Vista SP2 - after installing the TV pack and trying the various DNS/hosts workarounds, I still wasn't able to get any guide data. After I installed the TV pack, I started getting the "no guide due to multiple failed downloads" error. I didn't mess with the zip codes because I have another Win7 media center in a different room that had successfully switched over to Rovi and was getting up-to-date guide data, so I knew data was available for that zip.

What fixed it for me was deleting the 'prefs' folder under eHome\EPG. After I did that, I re-ran the TV setup and it downloaded the guide on the first try. Before I deleted the folder, I had noticed that the prefs.xml file inside the 'prefs' folder on my system specifically referenced zap2it as the guide provider. I have no idea if that was the actual problem or if it was just coincidence.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:07 pm

dkrom wrote:Vista users should flood the MS support site...it may save XP too
After all the trash talk Vista users have taken from XP die-hards over the years? I don't think so! :thumbdown:

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:01 pm

Vistaar wrote:
dkrom wrote:Vista users should flood the MS support site...it may save XP too
After all the trash talk Vista users have taken from XP die-hards over the years? I don't think so! :thumbdown:
Was that a trolling comment or a joke that doesn't come across in text? I really just try to help people - I don't even use XP for MCE anymore since I figured this would happen sooner or later. I'm just trying to help others and it seems like a fun puzzle to solve. If it wasn't a joke or troll, maybe you should "let it go, let it go" and help a community out.

Garand

Post by Garand » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Vistaar wrote:If anyone using Vista WMC without TV Pack is getting any guide data from Rovi, now that would be news. Please post and tell us about it!

One thing: Thus far I don't know of anyone who has installed TV Pack on 64-bit Vista. If anyone has, please post and tell us about that too.
I did last week. Working still so far! Took a while to find a copy.

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34 am

Garand wrote:
Vistaar wrote:Thus far I don't know of anyone who has installed TV Pack on 64-bit Vista. If anyone has, please post and tell us about that too.
Yeah, in the last two weeks at least three people running 64-bit Vista have reported success with TV Pack in the "VISTA WMC Stuck on Zap2it" thread - in fact 32-bit Vista users like myself seem to be outnumbered now.

Say, when you downloaded TV setup data, was your cable lineup listed twice? (I mean identically named, word-for-word.) I was using the top lineup, but there were a few channels with no guide data so I recently switched to the second lineup - only to find that it had two additional channels with no data. It's tempting to speculate that one is intended to be "legacy" data for Vista, except the OTA lineup for my area was only listed once if I remember correctly.

Garand

Post by Garand » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 pm

Vistaar wrote:
Garand wrote:
Vistaar wrote:Thus far I don't know of anyone who has installed TV Pack on 64-bit Vista. If anyone has, please post and tell us about that too.
Yeah, in the last two weeks at least three people running 64-bit Vista have reported success with TV Pack in the "VISTA WMC Stuck on Zap2it" thread - in fact 32-bit Vista users like myself seem to be outnumbered now.

Say, when you downloaded TV setup data, was your cable lineup listed twice? (I mean identically named, word-for-word.) I was using the top lineup, but there were a few channels with no guide data so I recently switched to the second lineup - only to find that it had two additional channels with no data. It's tempting to speculate that one is intended to be "legacy" data for Vista, except the OTA lineup for my area was only listed once if I remember correctly.
I don't think mine was listed twice, word for word. I had one for their basic offering and one for their digital offering. Like I mentioned in another thread, because a few of the digital channels are in clearQAM and not officially on the Basic offering, which I have where the Vista box still resides, I had to do some tinkering with 3rd party tools to fill in the gaps. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the small time cable outfit haven't yet realized they're airing those channels.