Youtube TV in WMC ?

EZEd

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by EZEd » Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm

Out of curiosity when you guys are talking about "YouTube TV" are you talking about the streaming service YouTube TV or just the ability to watch YouTube videos from the YouTube site through WMC? I have had to get rid of cable tv as it is not offered in the area where I live. So I now use OTA and streaming service (currently AT&T TV Now). I can locally record my OTA using any number of DVR warez (WMC, Emby, Plex, HDHomerun DVR, etc) but the streaming services can only be recorded through the service. Is this attempt at YouTube TV in WMC intended to bring YouTube TV streaming service to WMC so that it can be locally recorded? Just wondering.

Space

Post by Space » Mon May 11, 2020 10:26 pm

According to the OP of this thread, it is specifically about getting www.youtube.com/tv working.

This means having WMC run an external browser that goes to the URL www.youtube.com/tv and having it work as expected.

There is no real interaction between WMC and "Youtube TV" other than being able to start the browser and load the URL and exiting the browser to get back to WMC, you certainly cannot record anything.

Note that the interface that is available at "www.youtube.com/tv" is a special one designed for use on a large screen monitor/TV and controlable with a remote. YouTube (Google) can remove that interface at any time (and I assume they will once the contract to support it expires with whatever device has licensed it).

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Tue May 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Okay thanks for the clarification. I was hoping this was a way to record streaming TV. I have PlayOn. It sort of does it sometime but not reliable. I also have Channels DVR that works through TV Everywhere logins but it only works with a subset of the channels I have available. I thought maybe this was something that was bringing new life back to WMC. Oh well, the search is still on.

Thx again

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Does anyone have a solution that works right now? I played with the KODI thing in a test VM, and it's not the same experience as YouTube.com/tv so that is out.

Just want YouTube in WMC like I had before...

Thanks !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm

The closest thing might be playon & tubecore. It should give you youtube content in the WMC interface

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm

jachin99 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm The closest thing might be playon & tubecore. It should give you youtube content in the WMC interface
I'm looking for the experience I used to have. Youtube TV, just like shown on my smart tv, or Dish network box.

Is there no way achieve this any more ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Space

Post by Space » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 am

DavidinCT wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm
jachin99 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm The closest thing might be playon & tubecore. It should give you youtube content in the WMC interface
I'm looking for the experience I used to have. Youtube TV, just like shown on my smart tv, or Dish network box.

www.youtube.com/tv still works if you change the user agent as mentioned in this thread. I just tested it in Firefox using this add-on to add the user-agent needed and use it to access the URL.

Note that the add-on I used is one of many "user agent switchers" available, and it was the first one I found that allows you to create your own user agent string (the other have static ones). There may be a better add-on to do this.

Chrome apparently also lets you set the user-agent without an add-on, but I don't know about Chrome.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:47 pm

Space wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 am
DavidinCT wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:49 pm

www.youtube.com/tv still works if you change the user agent as mentioned in this thread. I just tested it in Firefox using this add-on to add the user-agent needed and use it to access the URL.

Note that the add-on I used is one of many "user agent switchers" available, and it was the first one I found that allows you to create your own user agent string (the other have static ones). There may be a better add-on to do this.

Great, let me play with this some more. I did remember there was an issue last time I used it. If I set Youtube.com/tv as the homepage in Chrome when the browser opened it would go right to the main page but, after the main page opened, I typed in Youtube.com/tv it would go fine.

It's like the plugin didn't load till after the browser was working and there would be no way to put in WMC and automate it.
Space wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:04 am Chrome apparently also lets you set the user-agent without an add-on, but I don't know about Chrome.
Interesting, I was told it needed a plugin...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Space

Post by Space » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:13 am

DavidinCT wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:47 pm ...
Interesting, I was told it needed a plugin...
You should probably go through this thread... There is a "--user-agent=" command line option to Chrome that allows you to change the user agent for that instance of Chrome.

Shadow Lord

Post by Shadow Lord » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:26 am

I am wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get rid of the MCE Reset Toolbox error w/o resorting to a batch file?