My Channel Logos Version 2

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JazJon » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

makryger wrote:Just wanted to issue a quick update on the status of MCL for Windows 8. It was all working perfectly and ready to go about 1.5 months ago, but then the Release Preview was unveiled. In the process of separating Media Center from Windows, they have completely broken the ability to edit dll's. Any time I try to change the rows in the guide, or anything of that sort, Media Center simply doesn't open. No error, no nothing. This does not affect the logo portion of the program, but I was hoping to have the whole package available at once. (Just in case you needed another data point for the "I'll never upgrade to W8 threads"...)

If anyone has any ideas as to how to circumvent this problem, I am all ears. Feel free to send PMs.
Does anyone have any direct MS connections to help him figure out this DLL locked show stopper? I would rather stay on Windows 7 than lose My Channel Logos on my HTPC. (what a shame) I hope a work around is found, or MS opens it all back up in the final RTM. Why on earth would they lock anything down when they know the few people that do use Media Center like to tweak it a bit. MS is adding insult to injury nearly abandoning Media Center, then bring it back crippled. What does MS gain by locking down the DLL's? Is this just an unfortunate sloppy accident by MS or done for some "good reason" only a MS spreadsheet manager could possibly understand.

I hate seeing Media Center in limbo. MCE either needs to remain great, or a new 3rd party DVR apps need to step up to replace it in the future. As of today MCE is still king, and I don't see a suitable substitute so I'll continue living in Limbo land for now.

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 am

I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that it became a purchased add-on that requires a license key now. They must have added extra security checks during that process.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

amberdamber7

Post by amberdamber7 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Is anyone else having trouble with My Channel Logos v2 and an HDHomerun Prime? I have Windows 7 64 bit. The HDHomerun Prime was working perfectly, then I installed My Channel Logos and now Media Center can't find the tuners and crashes anytime I go anywhere near the TV features (including setup menus and the guide). Was able to uninstall My Channel Logos and do a reset of Media Center, after which it worked perfectly again until I tried reinstalling My Channel Logos again and the same issues started to happen!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:15 pm

I had an issue installing MCL crashing my system. It made no sense and I did nothing to fix it but reboot and try again. The second time yeilded success.

Do NOT start MC after reboot. Install MCL prior to opening MC. ...that sounds familiar to me. My issue was some time ago, forgive me.

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:13 pm

After a major crash and that awful realisation when you discover that the backup is also corrupt, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 Pro. Now, no matter what I try I can't get the guide to show any more than 7 rows in the main listing or any more than 2 rows in the mini guide. Can anyone help?
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:30 pm

@amberdamber- to be honest, I haven't heard of this type of problem with the HDHRP (or any tuner, for that matter.) The fact that it started afer installing MCL would point to that as the source of the issue. If you could email me at the contact us link on the mychannellogos website, I can try helping you further. To start off, if you could please tell me whether you are using the features of the Guide tab in MCL.

@mcewinter- hmmm... I can actually see a situation where if you install MCL while Media Center is open, that could create some conflicts. I'll maybe add a check to the installer to make sure WMC is closed before the installer proceeds.

@cogzog. please follow the instructions in FAQ #2 of the website. http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/faq.aspx
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:04 pm

hi, any chance of responding to my request for another download of MCL2? i sent you the paypal transaction reference and everything a couple of days ago.

thanks

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:05 pm

sorry, had been received and was in junk. thank you

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:18 pm

makryger wrote:@cogzog. please follow the instructions in FAQ #2 of the website. http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/faq.aspx
That did the trick, many thanks for that. I had totally forgotten about turning off the AV, which I now remember is exactly what I had to do the previous time! Ah well, sorted now :D
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 am

My Channel Logos Version 2.30 now available!

Today, we release one more update before starting work on the next big update of MCL.

What's new in this version?
Mostly the purpose of this release is to deal with a bunch of small bugs we've gotten word of over the months, and make the entire process smoother where it was rough around the edges. For example, we have a new installer that has better control over file permissions, uninstalling, repairs, etc. that will deal with many of the issues various users have been experiencing. It will also be able to launch directly into MCL. We've worked on making some of the background updater more reliable. We've also made the process of installing new software easier. For those using Windows 7, if you aren’t having any issues, you won’t notice a lot different. But in the long term, we're trying to make sure that the software is as fool-proof as possible

MCL now works with Windows 8!!!
For those using Windows 8, I’ve got some good news, and some bad news. The good news is that you are now able to install MCL in Windows 8, and get all your logos into the guide (previously not possible with older versions of MCL). The bad news is that now that Media Center has moved to a separate add-in for Windows 8, Guide Modifications outside of logo addition are no longer possible. This means that you cannot change the row number, the width of the columns, the order of elements, etc. But regardless, if you have Windows 8, now is your chance to download MCL v2.30 and get logos in your guide!!!

That being said, here’s how pricing will work:
If you have purchased MCL Version 2 in the past, you will be able to download Version 2.30 for free.
  • Either download the software by checking for an update in your Windows 7 version. The file MCLUpdateX## in C:\programdata\mychannellogos, you can copy over to your W8 PC.
  • or, until Sept 15th, you can download MCL V2.30 by sending in a request on our website, http://www.mychannellogos.com/Pages/w8.aspx
If you have never purchased MCL Version 2, it's about time you actually paid for a copy of something you find useful!
  • $3.40 or more for a new copy of the program, for both W7 and W8.
Of course, if you've donated in the past, we're always happy to take new donations for those who are continuing to find MCL useful! Just visit the download page and donate there. :)That'll give us some extra energy as we work on MCL Version 3- where there will be some exciting new features!

Cubsfan

Post by Cubsfan » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:13 am

Hi. I recently purchased V2 and after following the instructions, everything worked almost perfectly. However, I am having one problem. After populating the logos, when I restarted WMC, all the channels worked fine except for the local CBS affiliate. I get a perfect signal for the station and I can watch it just fine with the Quick TV app that came with HD Home Run, but when I try to watch it in WMC it says there is no signal. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling V2, disabling the station in WMC and creating a custom station, re-enabling, etc. Nothing works. Would you all have any suggestions for a fix for this? I'd really prefer to not have to reinstall Windows 7.

Thanks,

CF

makryger

Post by makryger » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:54 am

This is a bit of a weird behavior... I'm not convinced it's related to MCL, as we don't really modify anything associated with TV signals. But I have a few suggestions you could try:
1) Try rebooting your PC and HDHomerun- sometimes that's all you need to fix a problem.
2) Try doing a system restore to immediately before you installed MCL, and see if it works. If it does, then try installing MCL again, and see if it still works.

Cubsfan

Post by Cubsfan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:51 am

Well, none of that seemed to work. I tried both suggestions and neither are working. I'm at a loss. Would you happen to have any other suggestions or should I ask elsewhere in the forums?

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:18 am

Even doing the system restore didn't help? In that case, it's definitely not related to MCL... I'm not sure why it started now. I will say that media center tends to have a much lower threshold for what is considered a good signal compared to other programs. But I'd recommend asking in the Tuner forum to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Cubsfan

Post by Cubsfan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks. One thing that is odd is that when I did the restore from a point a couple weeks ago, I'm still getting the logos in the guide. Wouldn't the restore remove all those? The guide also is only showing the channels that I chose for it to show (ie, all the ones I removed are still gone). So, is there any chance that it could actually be something related to the software? Because the software is still being shown as installed even after the restore and the problem started once I installed the software. However, Windows isn't showing the software as even installed.

Thanks for any help you could give me.

CF

brianlich

Post by brianlich » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:32 pm

The path to the logos for each channel is stored in the media center database. I don't think the system restore reverts the database. Whether the channels are showing in the guide or not are also stored in the database so that makes me think that the database was definitely not reverted during a system restore.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:14 am

makryger wrote:My Channel Logos Version 2.30 now available!

MCL now works with Windows 8!!!
For those using Windows 8, I’ve got some good news, and some bad news. The good news is that you are now able to install MCL in Windows 8, and get all your logos into the guide (previously not possible with older versions of MCL). The bad news is that now that Media Center has moved to a separate add-in for Windows 8, Guide Modifications outside of logo addition are no longer possible. This means that you cannot change the row number, the width of the columns, the order of elements, etc. But regardless, if you have Windows 8, now is your chance to download MCL v2.30 and get logos in your guide!!!
This is great news! (nice work) I never modify the guide outside of just adding logos, so it's all good for me. I think I'm ready to experiment with installing Windows 8 on my main HTPC now. I'm going to make an image though so I can quickly roll back if I'm not happy.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:56 am

One feature that would be really useful would be a printable guide list with logos.

Maybe something customizable to print Channel Number, Callsign, logo to printer or color PDF that the user can use to make a "Guide Sheet" like some hotels and cablecompanies have... :-)
Time is on my side.

Ian1223

Post by Ian1223 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:39 pm

I just paid for MCL but the installers wont work, either one. I have a 64 bit system, Windows 7 but I get the message "The installer is designed for a 64-bit operating system" when trying to install.

My channel logos lite installs fine.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Hmmm... That shouldn't be happening. You certain you used the x64 installer? Ill check this evening when I'm back from work to confirm the installers are correct, but I haven't heard any other issues so far...