SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME - Owner's Thread

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
unclebun

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by unclebun » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Ken H wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:27 pm
unclebun wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:53 am The difficulty of pairing a cable card really depends on the cable provider. For example, I have Charter (now Spectrum). I don't have to do anything to pair the card. It just works.
?

I've been following CableCard use for over a decade plus and I've never heard anything like this before.
Maybe because we never have to post that we're having problems pairing the cable card?

Ken H

Location: Ann Arbor, home of the NCAA College Football National Champions!

Post by Ken H » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:47 am

unclebun wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:55 pm
unclebun wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:53 am The difficulty of pairing a cable card really depends on the cable provider. For example, I have Charter (now Spectrum). I don't have to do anything to pair the card. It just works.
?

I've been following CableCard use for over a decade plus and I've never heard anything like this before.
Maybe because we never have to post that we're having problems pairing the cable card?
Uh, no.

As senior HDTV Moderator at AVS Forums for 13 years, I ran into quite a bit of CableCard setup issues. I also wrote a technical guide for CurtCo's Digital Video and Sound Magazine a number of years ago, to specifically address those issues.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:30 am

I understand that a lot of people have had cable card setup issues. I am just telling my own experience with Charter Cable. When WMC told me to call the cable company and read off all the numbers to them, I called, and they told me they didn't need any of that and it was working already. And it was. And when I've gotten replacement Ceton tuners, I just installed them in the computer, moved the cable card over, went online to Charter's website, sent a "hit" to my equipment, and it worked.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:04 am

?

Unclebun is correct. Not all cable providers require pairing of the CableCard and tuner. Most do require pairing, but not all. I recall in the early days of Verizon FiOS, pairing was not required and I was able to tune all of the channels in my subscription. Then, they sent an email/letter to all customers notifying them that pairing will be required after a certain date, so I had to call in and get the card paired.

CableCard pairing can go very smoothly or turn into a nightmare. I think the competency of the support representative is a factor. If the support representative seems unfamiliar with the pairing procedure, or the pairing process is not working, politely hang up and call back later. You will eventually reach someone that is very familiar with the pairing procedure and your card will be paired quickly.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 pm

I have been trying for a week to get one of the new Primes working on Spectrum former TWC. The card is paired, but can't get the Tuning Adapter to work. They eventually dispatched a Tech, but no luck. He did give me a spare tuning adapter. Note I have an older Prime that works great including a tuning adapter on the very same splitter.

Has anyone with one of the new Primes successfully configured a Tuning Adapter?

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:26 pm

wilme2 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 pm I have been trying for a week to get one of the new Primes working on Spectrum former TWC. The card is paired, but can't get the Tuning Adapter to work. They eventually dispatched a Tech, but no luck. He did give me a spare tuning adapter. Note I have an older Prime that works great including a tuning adapter on the very same splitter.

Get it working yet? What's a tuning adapter?

I ordered another hdhr3 (Makes 4), I'll let ya know if I have any problems. FiOS.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:43 pm

toshfive wrote:
wilme2 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:06 pm I have been trying for a week to get one of the new Primes working on Spectrum former TWC. The card is paired, but can't get the Tuning Adapter to work. They eventually dispatched a Tech, but no luck. He did give me a spare tuning adapter. Note I have an older Prime that works great including a tuning adapter on the very same splitter.

I ordered another hdhr3 (Makes 4), I'll let ya know if I have any problems. FiOS.
Yes, Spectrum's fault the whole time. Did not provision the Tuning Adapter (still referred to as a Tuning Resolver by SD) correctly. A TA is used if the cable company uses Switched Digital Video on some channels.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by wilme2 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:08 pm

toshfive wrote:

Yes, Spectrum's fault the whole time. Did not provision the Tuning Adapter (now officially known as a Tuning Resolver by everyone other than SD) correctly. A TA is used if the cable company uses Switched Digital Video on some channels. I don't think FIOS uses SDV.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk