Original HDHomeRun in WMC- "no channels found"

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
ChrisW6ATV

HTPC Specs: Show details

Original HDHomeRun in WMC- "no channels found"

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 am

Hi all-

I was a member at the old Green Button, I just got back into WMC after a couple of years. Thank you to the new forum owners for creating this new version!

Here is my problem: I built a fresh install of Windows 11 with WMC version 8.8.5 using an Athlon 64 X2-4400 motherboard with 4 GB RAM and 120GB OS/4TB data hard drives (the same hardware as my Windows 7 WMC setup for several years but with 2GB more RAM). I have an original HDHomeRun Dual ATSC tuner, and I did the latest Silicon Dust upgrade and channel scan, and it works fine in the HDHomeRun TV program.

When I did my TV setup, it found the two HDHomeRun tuners, but when I did the channel scan, it found no channels. I have tried these steps to solve the problem, without success:
-rerun the HDHomeRun Setup, including uninstall and reinstall, then do a "scan for more channels"
-verify Network Discovery is turned on and it is a private network
-check that WMC and HDHomeRun services were running
-re-ran WMC TV Setup with and without accepting the Guide terms (of course, it found no data)
-turned off the Windows Firewall and re-ran the channel scan
-tried a replacement power supply for the HDHomeRun
-tried my other original HDHomeRun (after another reinstall and channel scan for it)
-tried connecting the HDHomeRun directly to the computer with a fixed IP address and Ethernet cable (and another run of HDHomeRun Setup)
-uninstalled the HDHomeRun (viewer) program and rebooted the computer and tuner, in case that program was not "releasing" the tuners for WMC, then did another "scan for more channels"
-maybe other steps that I should have written down...

I need to mention that starting perhaps around when the MS guide data stopped in early 2020 or maybe before, I could no longer view live TV or record any channels in the Windows 7 MC installation on the same hardware. I could do a "Digital TV signal strength" test and it would even see strong signals on channels but still not display them.

Last detail, when I had the problems with the W7MC install, and also now with the new W11/WMC 8.8.5 install, in both cases when WMC is trying to tune or scan for channels, one or both tuner LEDs on the HDHomeRun(s) will flash rather than be lit steadily as they always were in the past. Silicon Dust says the flashing LED means the tuner is "reserved or in use by another program" and cannot stream.

Do any of you have any suggestions of what I should do to fix this? I appreciate your help, thanks!

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 pm

My understanding is you need to back-rev the driver to work with wmc.

Search on hdhomerun driver and you should find the details. To help confirm that is the issue confirm that everything works as expected within the hdhomerun apps (you can see and tune in channels).

Here is one thread that gives details: https://thegreenbutton.tv/viewtopic.php ... er#p140136

Once you have it working do NOT let windows update to a newer driver!

Oh, and in initial setup, you will need to select the wmc compatible mode. It's been awhile since I've done this but if you look at all the setup options (with the compatible driver) you should see the one that specifies wmc compatible.

Hope this helps!

ChrisW6ATV

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you for your reply and help, prsa01. I appreciate your clear notes and the link to the discussion. Indeed, changing the BDA driver setting to Windows Media Center is one of the steps I took that I forgot in my list above, but I will be sure to keep that setting when I install older drivers. I did a quick check, and I have install files from 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 on this computer, and maybe others on backup hard drives. (I rarely ever delete anything except junk e-mail.) I will post back here after I try the older drivers.

ChrisW6ATV

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:46 am

Darn... I installed a 2015 version of the HDHomeRun program and drivers, and I got the same result. Beside uninstalling the 2021 software, I deleted the Silicon Dust folder on the hard drive and Registry entries to attempt to be sure the "new" data was gone, but it did not help. I did notice that the 2015 Setup program came up with BDA already in Media Center mode; if that means some of the newer settings/drivers are still on the computer, then I may need to talk to Silicon Dust to learn how to completely remove all traces and try again.

I also pulled out another computer that has Windows 7 and MC set up that I have not used in a few years, and it works with the HDHomeRun fine, so I know it is not a hardware or firmware problem. Hmm... This machine has the 2013 software on it. I will try that on the Windows 11 machine.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm

I guess I haven't specifically noticed that anyone is using hdhomeruns, esp the original units, with win10/11 (they probably are, just not sure).

It may be worth asking for confirmation in the win10 forum just to be sure. I know I'm using that tuner hardware fine w/win7 and plan to be trying it fairly soon w/win10(11).

ChrisW6ATV

Post by ChrisW6ATV » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 am

It is fixed!

I had tried the 2013 software also without success, and I was about to try installing WMC on a Windows 10 machine, when I noticed the "Reset settings" command in the WMC 8.8.5 install directory. That command was the key. Apparently, whatever is in the 2021 HDHomeRun program/drivers that kills WMC tuning/reception stays "poisoned" even if you uninstall the software and drivers and re-run TV Setup.

Next step: Set up guide information with TV-Collector or other sources. If I get that working, then I will look at upgrading to a new, 4K-capable HTPC.

Thank you again for your help, prsa01.