Can the Mohu broadcast multiple channels at a time?

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
jriker1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can the Mohu broadcast multiple channels at a time?

Post by jriker1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:57 pm

I read about these indoor over the air HD antennas and how they work with one TV only. So made me think, then they probably can't work with HD HomeRun 4 tunnel OTA boxes and with solutions that can potentially record and live tv multiple channels at a time. Am I incorrect in my thinking or does the Mohu product basically only support one channel at a time being pulled from it?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Yes, you are incorrect. They only support one connection. The tuner boxes have internal splitters and one antenna can be used for multiple channels being tuned simultaneously.

jriker1

Post by jriker1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Geat thanks. Now to figure out which one to get. I'm going to avoid any that say they can do 200 miles. Looking at but open to other thoughts:

Winegard FL-5000 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0063 ... 0DER&psc=1
Mohu Leaf 30 TV Antenna - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q ... 0DER&psc=1

See the Mohu Leaf Supreme Pro also but not available in my standard locations.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:14 pm

I’m trying to say this without someone calling me out for being whatever - I’d suggest an outdoor antenna if at all possible. I understand if you live somewhere that doesn’t allow outdoor antennas, these flat panels might be your best option, but my experience with flat panel antennas has not been good. Even an outdoor antenna placed somewhere high up indoors seem to work better than flat style for me.

Some options you might have if you’re able to have outdoor antennas are:
1. If you have an old dish mounted somewhere and aren’t using it, you can take the dish part off & leave the main pole. From there just attach an outdoor antenna to the pole, connect to coax to you HDHOMERUN and you’re good to go.

2. If you have a cable line outside you can access, you can connect the coax to the HDHOMERUN, but then you do have to figure a way to mount the antenna. (Don’t do this if you get internet/TV from the cable company).

Again, this has been my experience hooking up multiple houses. Some people love the flat panels and they work great for them, but typically they don’t work so well at pulling in distant stations.

FWIW - I use this antenna TV Antenna - RCA Outdoor Yagi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/re ... CFbZ7R6GX2

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Antenna options for the OP depend strictly on the frequencies and signal levels available at his specific location (coordinates plus height AGL). There is no single unit that's good for all.