Silicondust Added DRM support for Live TV

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
dpt17

HTPC Specs: Show details

Silicondust Added DRM support for Live TV

Post by dpt17 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:52 am

Just tested it on my Win10 PC and Android phone. Came out a few days ago. Had to initiate a channel rescan for the setup app. DVR support is not present at the moment.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:31 am

I thought they had Live TV DRM play capability for a while already. Maybe it was just for one of the platforms.

dpt17

Post by dpt17 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:24 am

Space wrote:I thought they had Live TV DRM play capability for a while already. Maybe it was just for one of the platforms.
That's entirely possible. Let me be clear, I am referring to adding support in their app for it. Not the device. The Prime has had it for a while if you were using WMC. I check the Silicon site every week for announcements and whatnot and noticed a new article about supporting DRM for Android with _their_ app.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:20 am

Space wrote:I thought they had Live TV DRM play capability for a while already. Maybe it was just for one of the platforms.
It disappeared after android marshmellow, after updating my shield to v6 it would no longer work. Looks like they added it back on 7/26/18. Downloading on my phone and testing it now.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:41 pm

dpt17 wrote:
That's entirely possible. Let me be clear, I am referring to adding support in their app for it. Not the device. The Prime has had it for a while if you were using WMC. I check the Silicon site every week for announcements and whatnot and noticed a new article about supporting DRM for Android with _their_ app.
Yeah, I meant the app. They had DRM support for live TV a while ago, I think it worked on Win 10, but I'm not completely sure which platforms it worked on.
cwinfield wrote: It disappeared after android marshmellow, after updating my shield to v6 it would no longer work. Looks like they added it back on 7/26/18. Downloading on my phone and testing it now.
OK, so I guess they also had it working for Android at one point and then a newer version of Android broke it, and now it's back.

Until they have recording capability of DRM programming, I'm sticking with WMC. In fact I'll probably stay with WMC regardless, unless there is a compelling reason to switch.

Hopefully recording ability is coming at some point as it is always good to have a fallback option. My biggest concern is that I believe that the SD DVR is a service and requires SD to keep it going, whereas with Schedules Direct, there is a good chance that WMC can keep going (for the most part) even after Microsoft completely stops supporting it.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:47 pm

dpt17 wrote:Just tested it on my Win10 PC and Android phone. Came out a few days ago. Had to initiate a channel rescan for the setup app. DVR support is not present at the moment.
I can confirm this, you must rescan your channels (why does this take an eternity?) to work.

billmich

Post by billmich » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:00 pm

will it ever work on win 7?

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:52 pm

billmich wrote:will it ever work on win 7?
Yes DRM works with Windows 7 with the correct Video Card
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI