Trouble with HDHR Prime and Tuning Adapter

Ask about SiliconDusts HomeRun tuners here.
Jacoats

HTPC Specs: Show details

Trouble with HDHR Prime and Tuning Adapter

Post by Jacoats » Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:20 am

Hey guys, I have just returned to using a cable card with a tuning adapter after not using it for a year. It worked well for years. Now with a new card and tuning adapter and my W8.1 box, I managed to get some channels but am missing what I think are the SDV Channels like the new MGM PLUS (formerly epix) and all the hbos except one. I do get one music choice channel. I’m on spectrum. Countless calls with their cable card support desk and 5 tech visits haven’t fixed the problem. Replaced the tuning adapter yesterday. Still no good. The status of that device is “ready b’cast only”. The upstream status seems to change from success to in progress and back. Anyone have any tips for me ? Most people at spectrum have no clue.

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Space » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:21 pm

I haven't used a tuning adapter in many, many years, so I'll just pass on some info that I remember...

How do you have the tuning adapter connected? Most people advise to not connect the tuning adapter in serial with the Prime and instead use a 2-way splitter and connect each one directly to the splitter. The reason for this is that usually tuning adapters don't give a high quality pass-thru signal and this avoids this problem by having the Prime connected directly to the incoming cable.

Do you have the USB cable connected between the tuning adapter and the Prime? This is needed so the Prime can tell the tuning adapter what channel it wants to tune so that the tuning adapter can pass that information through the coaxial cable back to the cable company.