Using InfiniTV 4 USB in Both Linux and Windows

Discussions for Linux infiniTV installations
cubdukat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using InfiniTV 4 USB in Both Linux and Windows

Post by cubdukat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:22 pm

I am getting ready to build a new system, and I want to dual-boot both Windows 8 (shudder) and Mythbuntu as a backup system in case Windows 8 crashes, so that I don't lose the majority of my shows.

I thought I had read somewhere that because of the way Cablecard tuners worked, my tuner would be forever locked to the Windows installation, and the only way it could be freed is to get another Cablecard.

First, is that actually true? And second, if it is, does that also work the same way for Linux? For instance, if I decide to use Mythbuntu as my primary OS, if I add Win8 later, will I need to get a new Cablecard to make it work in WIn8?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Why complicate things with a dual boot. If you really need Windows and Linux set them up on separate SSD's and boot from the BIOS. Store all your recordings on a 7200 rpm "spinner".

It's not the "tuner gets locked to the Windows" it's the "Recordings get locked to the Windows" This is why we use a separate SSD for the OS and make images of the O/S on a frequent basis, so the worst we can lose is the recordings that were made between now and the last image.

One other thing is that your recordings might not even be locked "as you say". SEE PICTURE Open up explorer and go to your recorded tv directory. Then right click up where mine says protected. Once you get to Choose Details, scroll down the list and put a checkmark on protected. Everything that is Not protected or locked will be listed as NO.
Attachments
Protected001.jpg

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:04 pm

I'll give that second approach a try. The main reason I was doing a dual-boot is I wanted to have some sort of backup in case Windows crashes. By having it boot straight into Mythbuntu, the only thing I would lose are any shows on the Premium channels.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 pm

If a hard drive dies, even buntu won't be able to save you. Learn how to create an image of your O/S and a backup of your protected files, and you lose nothing. It only takes 10 minutes. Click on the start button, Go to help and support, type in backup, and follow the directions.

cubdukat

Post by cubdukat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:26 pm

Well, as luck would have it, I gave up on the idea of doing a dual-boot system. The Linux driver supplied by Ceton wouldn't compile, and whatever functionality is built into the kernel at that time is all but useless.