Myth backend not running

Discussions for Linux infiniTV installations
btberlin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Myth backend not running

Post by btberlin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

I consistently get a message claiming myth backend not running. I'd like to attach the results of the diagnostic collection script, but i see no way to attach files. How do i do that?

bert

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:26 pm

This site is dedicated to Microsoft Windows Media Center. I'm sure there are some people here who use Myth also, but you'd probably be better off going to the Myth forums and posting your question. Here's the link:

http://www.mythtvtalk.com/

lostboy1

Post by lostboy1 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:58 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I could offer some ideas in case others stumble across this thread. I had a similar problem after installing the Ceton tuner in my Ubuntu 12.04 (/mythbuntu) server (everything was working fine before adding the ceton card). If I recall the details correctly, there was a race condition between mysql and mythtv, waiting for the ctn0 device to come up. (or something like that).

What I did was modify the mythtv-backend.conf init script, to wait for mysql to start and ctn0 adapter to come up before starting mythtv-backend.

Here is the patch code:

=== modified file '/etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf'
--- /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf 2012-11-28 14:44:15 +0000
+++ /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf 2013-11-05 13:52:38 +0000
@@ -3,8 +3,8 @@
description "MythTV Backend"
author "Mario Limonciello <superm1@ubuntu.com>"

-start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started udev-finish)
-stop on runlevel [016]
+start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started udev-finish and started mysql and net-device-up IFACE=ctn0)
+stop on (runlevel [016] or stopping mysql)

#expect fork
respawn

In the first line starting with a single "+", I added " and started mysql and net-device-up IFACE=ctn0" to the "start on" line. This makes mythtv-backend wait until the ctn0 adapter is up, and mysql is started.

In the second line starting with a single "+" I added " or stopping mysql" to the stop on line, just in case mysql gets stopped it will also bring down mythtv-backend (as the backend is not very effective without a database). This change is optional and doesn't have anything to do with the original message reported.

Hopefully this will help resolve the issue.

Brett