D-Link DSM-750 unable to Decode Dolby 5.1

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
mikecandu

HTPC Specs: Show details

D-Link DSM-750 unable to Decode Dolby 5.1

Post by mikecandu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:05 am

Hi,

I have two DSM-750 set up as extenders. A couple days ago I noticed that the extenders were now longer decoding 5.1 content but sending 2 channel PCM to my AVR. I had been having some problems with decoding 5.1 content before this. The HDMI cable had not been sending 5.1 content for a while, so I switched to using the optical output on the DSM-750 for 5.1 sound and the HDMI cable was for a 1080i picture. That solution has worked well for a while (years?),now it stopped working. I even tried to download 5.1 dolby trailers to a USB drive and played them through the USB input on the DSM-750. Sure enough picture was fine, but no sound. The same thing occurred on another DSM-750 hooked up directly to a TV and not through an AVR. Picture is fine, but no sound.

I assume OTA ATSC HD stations transmit both 5.1 Dolby and 2 channel PCM and that's why I'm at least getting some sound through Windows Media Center.

Anyone else seen this problem?

I have taken the cover off the DSM-750 before to replace some old capacitors. That fixed another problem I had a few years back. Is the Dolby decoding done on a chip or software? I've had the one DSM-750 for almost 15 years (the other I bought used) so in one way I can't really complain.

mikecandu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mikecandu » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:17 pm

Hi,

I'm replying to my own post but I was finally able to solve this issue. I downloaded the Shark007 codec pack and on the <audio> tab I set output to 5.1 on SPDIF/Toslink/Coax. I then ran a coax cable to my AVR for audio while the video is via HMDI.

I made a video about solving this issue and posted it on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/fOtYbBgCG-8

Hopeful this video will help other users that have audio problems while using an extender.

Thanks,

Mike