Application Failure A critical Windows Media Center process has failed.

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
wmc4life

HTPC Specs: Show details

Application Failure A critical Windows Media Center process has failed.

Post by wmc4life » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:58 pm

For the last few weeks I've been getting:

Application Failure: A critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance.

When trying to play any shows (live or recorded) from my Xbox360. This happened around the time I switched to EPG123. I tried removing / readding the xbox as an extender, but that didn't help. I'm trying to avoid reinstalling WMC or Windows 7. Does anyone have any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 pm

I did a search and found that this may be a file permissions issue:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6803

But I also found other resolutions on these forums by searching for "A critical Windows Media Center process has failed" in the search box in the upper right.

I have no first hand experience with this, so you maybe can wait for others to respond before doing anything.

You can also scan for and correct corrupted system files, but if you are able to playback things on the main PC (not an extender) without a problem, it is probably nothing to do with corrupted files:

SFC /scannow

Note that this reverts files back to their original state, so may affect things like tweaks made to WMC with the EPG123 tweak tool.

wmc4life

Post by wmc4life » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:01 pm

Thanks, I ran the SFC /scannow and it says that Microsoft.MediaCenter.Shell.dll is corrupted. I tried copying it from my wife's computer (both are Win 7 Ultimate), but that didn't help. I guess I'll have to try reinstalling WMC (after the Super Bowl, just in case).

Kick4U

Post by Kick4U » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:16 am

Any luck with this? I found this problem on my HP x280n when using a network drive with read only permissions so I would look into that some more in case.