Are T series Intel CPUs available as retail

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Gilgamesh-au

HTPC Specs: Show details

Are T series Intel CPUs available as retail

Post by Gilgamesh-au » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am

Hello,
My current HTPC has died (resuming from suspend just powers off and on every 5 seconds) so I've started to look to a new build.
Intel have various CPUs with a T suffix that have a low TDP (i5-9600T or i7-9700t). I like these as then I can use a Noctua NH-L9x65 cooler.

However I have not found these CPUs available as a retail purchase (I'm in Australia). I have seen them in pre-built PCs.
Does anyone know if Intel released these to the general market or only to OEMs?

My TV is 4K and I intend to move to 4K and I currently have a Nvidia GT1030 graphics card that I chose because it was silent. Would these CPUs have an issue 4K output.
One other thing I was considering is video capture at 1920x1080.

Thank You

CyberSimian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CyberSimian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Gilgamesh-au wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:35 am Does anyone know if Intel released these to the general market or only to OEMs?
In the past I purchased a new Intel i7-6700t from www.quietpc.co.uk. When the 6th generation was superseded, Quiet PC listed the more-recent generations. However, currently they do not list any t-series CPUs.

I later purchased a new Intel i5-6600t from www.lambda-tek.com, and they still have 8 in stock (£238 excluding sales tax):

https://www.lambda-tek.com/shop/?region ... &Filter=GO

They may have other models (the 6600t was the only one that I searched for).

You probably need to search the internet for a variety of CPU generations (6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th), and a variety of CPU versions (i3, i5, i7, i9). You may also need to accept a pre-loved CPU (i.e. a second-hand one removed from a scrapped system). These are typically available on Ebay.

I use my 6700t with a Nofan fanless CPU cooler, in a system with a fanless power supply, in a case with the fans removed, using SSD disks (M.2 and SATA). You need to select the case carefully, to ensure that the design will provide adequate cooling by convection.

Good luck!

-- from CyberSimian in the UK