Problem With Remote Control Function

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Joel

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem With Remote Control Function

Post by Joel » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:51 pm

I have been having a variety of little issues with WMC for awhile, but a week or so ago my remote control started missing button presses and having long/random delays, which made navigating and FF/Rew nearly impossible. It was almost like the computer was always but arbitrarily 'busy', however all WMC controls worked instantly when using the mouse.
I have Win7 Pro with all updates on an older Compaq computer, EPG123 and a Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner, which came with the remote and IR receiver (not USB - it plugs into the card).

It seemed clear that it was not the remote itself, but I cleaned the remote contact pads first thing. Then I tried a different IR receiver that I happened to have on hand. Next, I tried updating the IR drivers (which said they were already the best drivers), so then I uninstalled the ehome IR, restarted, it reinstalled and still had the same problem.
So... then I uninstalled the ehome IR (from HID devices) and the other IR device I found in device manager (which I think was under 'system devices'). After a restart, it didn't find or install it.

Since I was about tired of the exercise and wanted the TV functional, I loaded the Hauppauge IR config tool. This gave me good remote function, with the exception of the button mapping being odd. Most buttons work ok, but instead of the power button putting the computer to sleep, it just closes WMC, the info and recorded programs buttons don't work, etc. The remote otherwise works fine, but there are no incidents of anything saying 'IR' anywhere in device manager. HID is (now) set to automatic in services FWIW. I also did/tried other things that I can't think of at the moment.

So:
1) How do I get it to reload the ehome IR, which I am not confident will work correctly? Or:
2) How do I change the remotes buttons to restore the configuration it used to have? Or:
3) Other suggestions?

Thanks!