How reliable is your HTPC?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
sgbroimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

How reliable is your HTPC?

Post by sgbroimp » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:42 pm

I got set up with my HTPC/WMC at the end of 2011. Before that the Comcast box and no real off air recording capability. So now, almost 9 years and, overall, I love the setup. In that time, however, I have one SSD failure (manufacturer’s bug supposedly) an Asrock H67M motherboard failure, two Seagate HDD (2TB) failures (one just now, one less than a year ago) and, Sunday, an OS system corruption. (I did move to RAID1 in 2015 to protect myself a bit) I am wondering about the experience of others? Similar or am I at the high end of the failure picture? I do run the unit 24/7/365, no sleep mode used. Input most appreciated!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 pm

I built my HTPC in 2009 and it still runs great. I have only had a few hard drive failures. There is no guarantee with electronics. Any part, made by any brand, can fail at anytime.

Regarding your setup, Asrock motherboards are not the best quality. I only use Gigabyte motherboards. Asus is a good brand too.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Very kind of you to provide this info and tip. Based on what you said, my failure rate is not out of line, 2 HDD's in 11 months yes, but very good experience for 8 years before, so law of averages I am in line or better vs. you and the SSD was near the "birth" of those so it went a heck of a long time I guess. As to your MB brand comment, I need to get a board for a rainy day spare so I can move quickly when this one goes. Do you know how I can be sure to get the right ASUS or Gigabyte boards (used or refirb I imagine) to replace my AsrockH67M, micro ATX? Processor is Core i3 2100 3.10 (2155 pin) with Intel 2000 Graphics? My tech says he can bench test, but need to have the right one for when the failure day comes or all is wasted!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 pm
Do you know how I can be sure to get the right ASUS or Gigabyte boards (used or refirb I imagine) to replace my AsrockH67M, micro ATX? Processor is Core i3 2100 3.10 (2155 pin) with Intel 2000 Graphics?
I have this motherboard in my spare HTPC along with an i3-2100 processor; it works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-H6 ... Sw-ktfuEQO

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Scallica wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm
sgbroimp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:58 pm
Do you know how I can be sure to get the right ASUS or Gigabyte boards (used or refirb I imagine) to replace my AsrockH67M, micro ATX? Processor is Core i3 2100 3.10 (2155 pin) with Intel 2000 Graphics?
I have this motherboard in my spare HTPC along with an i3-2100 processor; it works great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-GA-H6 ... Sw-ktfuEQO
Many thanks. That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Should I be comfortable buying a used one (of course open box or refirb better, but less likely I guess.) I like the fan. My Asrock H67M does not have one, though three in the case at least.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:58 pm

I built 3 HTPCs in 2010 all identical, Then upgraded them all in 2016, never had a failure yet with the exception of the onboard graphics stopped working on one after a lightning strike blew out or house transformer. I also recommend Gigabyte motherboards, never had a failure so far. Whenever I build a HTPC I always buy a 2nd motherboard as a spare. I also keep a spare power supply or 2 around as they are a possible point of failure. In addition, I always run speedfan to monitor case and cpu fans and have it set up to e-mail me if any failures are detected as mechanical pieces are more likely to fail than electrical. Also, both to conserve electricity and to enhance PC life I only run the HTPCs when in use watching or recording. Otherwise, they are always set to sleep when inactive. I use high reliability rated SSD's for system disks and laptop HDD's for recording disks. I also have event monitoring set up such that I get an e-mail if WMC detects a failed recording so I can catch disk problems ASAP.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

sgbroimp wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm
Should I be comfortable buying a used one (of course open box or refirb better, but less likely I guess.)
Yes. The i3-2100 processors and motherboard are 9 years old. Take what you can find ;)

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks much to both of you. Grateful for folks like you who know their stuff and are happy to share it.