Ceton configured but cannot connect

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mrdizle

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton configured but cannot connect

Post by mrdizle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 am

Hello, having some trouble with my Ceton Echos. Thanks if you can provide any help.

Two echos, both worked well for 5 years. I have a Windows 7 HTPC with external USB hard drive and a flash drive for live buffer.
A couple weeks ago, I got the "insufficient buffer space" error. I checked the Windows 7 HTPC and main SSD hard drive (not the external USB hard drive that was used for recordings) was completely full. It was a bug -- the Temp directory was loaded with junk, so I deleted it all.
That fixed the problem for the time being.

HOWEVER, I took the opportunity to update all of the Windows 7 updates. Following the update,
Both Echos kept on getting to "Connecting" and then kept rebooting back to Connecting over and over. After 5 mins, it will show the 8 digit keycode and ask to reconnect.

I deleted the Echo MCX listings in the HTPC and added them again. Adding the Echos got stuck on the 2nd check box (I forgot exactly which one that is, I'm not by my computer now). So I tried Removing/Adding Windows Features.
After that step, the Echo adding page will get to the 4th check box (Creating Media Library). Then it will give the error "The extender was configured, but Windows could not connect to the Extender"

The Echos still keep cycling the Connecting page.

I made no changes to the Router or network that I know of. I don't have an old image of Windows to revert the Updates.

Any ideas please?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:46 pm

When the Echo boots up, write down the IP address and see if you can ping it from your computer. If not, it's a network or Echo issue. If you can, check your router settings and see if the Echo IP address shows up in the client list. And make sure you hadn't assigned a static IP address in your router. Delete it if it's different and reboot your router and PC. It should connect - hopefully.

mrdizle

Post by mrdizle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:56 pm

mldenison wrote:When the Echo boots up, write down the IP address and see if you can ping it from your computer. If not, it's a network or Echo issue. If you can, check your router settings and see if the Echo IP address shows up in the client list. And make sure you hadn't assigned a static IP address in your router. Delete it if it's different and reboot your router and PC. It should connect - hopefully.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check tonight and report back.

mrdizle

Post by mrdizle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:47 am

mldenison wrote:When the Echo boots up, write down the IP address and see if you can ping it from your computer. If not, it's a network or Echo issue. If you can, check your router settings and see if the Echo IP address shows up in the client list. And make sure you hadn't assigned a static IP address in your router. Delete it if it's different and reboot your router and PC. It should connect - hopefully.

OK I tried pinging the Echo from the HTPC while it is in its Connecting cycle and it was successful.

So then I tried deleting the extender data and adding it again using the 8 digit code. It hangs on the Building Library (4th checkbox) and then says the Echo was set up successfully, but Media Center could not connect to it.

So I went to Event Viewer. Here is what I pulled out of it.... I think it is a permissions issue with the folder but I could not manage to change the settings. Any help would be appreciated. The Event Viewer errors:

1) Media Center Extender Setup cannot update access permissions for media locations: C\User\Public\Videos (it also said this for Pictures, etc)
Error: The inherited access control list (ACL) or access control entry (ACE) could not be built

2) Media Center Extender Setup cannot copy Pictures (Videos, etc also) settings.
Error: The parameter is incorrect.

3) Failed to retrieve nettv (I think this is related to the TV Guide error, and some people say to ignore it).

I tried going to c:\users\Public and setting sharing to Everyone read/write. Didn't seem to work. How do I change permissions for the Echo to access it?

Thanks!!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm

mrdizle wrote:

OK I tried pinging the Echo from the HTPC while it is in its Connecting cycle and it was successful.

So then I tried deleting the extender data and adding it again using the 8 digit code. It hangs on the Building Library (4th checkbox) and then says the Echo was set up successfully, but Media Center could not connect to it.

So I went to Event Viewer. Here is what I pulled out of it.... I think it is a permissions issue with the folder but I could not manage to change the settings. Any help would be appreciated. The Event Viewer errors:

1) Media Center Extender Setup cannot update access permissions for media locations: C\User\Public\Videos (it also said this for Pictures, etc)
Error: The inherited access control list (ACL) or access control entry (ACE) could not be built

2) Media Center Extender Setup cannot copy Pictures (Videos, etc also) settings.
Error: The parameter is incorrect.

3) Failed to retrieve nettv (I think this is related to the TV Guide error, and some people say to ignore it).

I tried going to c:\users\Public and setting sharing to Everyone read/write. Didn't seem to work. How do I change permissions for the Echo to access it?

Thanks!!
Have you tried a recovery of the echo? It may just need to be reset.

mrdizle

Post by mrdizle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for your reply.
I did not try a recovery. I have another Echo that encountered the same problem, so I think it is a problem with the HTPC.
Based on the event viewer, seems like the directories cannot be accessed?
I tried to change the Sharing settings to "Everyone read/write" but still doesn't work :(

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 pm

mrdizle wrote:Thanks for your reply.
I did not try a recovery. I have another Echo that encountered the same problem, so I think it is a problem with the HTPC.
Based on the event viewer, seems like the directories cannot be accessed?
I tried to change the Sharing settings to "Everyone read/write" but still doesn't work :(
Do you per chance have another Win7 Box to test them with?

Maybe reset WMC on the one you have?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:49 am

See if this helps in restoring your public folders permissions: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... s-7-a.html

It would appear to be some sort of permissions error, for whatever reason.

mrdizle

Post by mrdizle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:21 pm

mldenison wrote:See if this helps in restoring your public folders permissions: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... s-7-a.html

Thanks, will try. I remember checking the Home/Private area in that window, but not Public. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks

mrdizle

Post by mrdizle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

mldenison wrote:See if this helps in restoring your public folders permissions: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... s-7-a.html

No dice. Public streaming was set to off, so I enabled it and checked all types Pictures/Videos/etc. I went to all Private and Public settings and everything was set to share. Confirmed the Public and extender folders were set to share to Everyone.
Tried deleting and adding the extender again, and still got the error that the Permissions of the folders could not be changed!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am

Try replacing the task

viewtopic.php?p=108554#p108554

Another thing you could try is you could go into WMC and remove all the folders that you have in the library. Exit out of WMC reboot restart WMC......

Then re-do libraries. Don't do them all, just do recorded TV for now, then go back and try and get your extender going. Uninstall reinstall the extender software.

I forget where I posted it but there is a correct way to remove the MCX accounts. Try searching remove MCX accounts for Xbox

There it is how to reset MC X accounts

viewtopic.php?p=100981#p100981