Recording not allowed by content provider (cbs, nbc)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
lopezi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording not allowed by content provider (cbs, nbc)

Post by lopezi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:26 am

I am getting the "recording not allowed by content provider" on regular network TV (primarily CBS and NBC). Everything was working fine up until this past Saturday (12/5/2015) night when I tried to record SNL. I kept getting multiple partial recordings with expiration dates 1 hr ahead of the recorded time. Other channels record fine, like AMC, TNT, USA.

Just tonight (12/7/2015) I was trying to record on CBS and NBC and received the same error as well as multiple partial recordings with an expiration 1hr ahead of the end time.

Any insight into why this is happening and how do I resolve this?

Thanks,
Ivan

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:53 pm

lopezi wrote:I am getting the "recording not allowed by content provider" on regular network TV (primarily CBS and NBC). Everything was working fine up until this past Saturday (12/5/2015) night when I tried to record SNL. I kept getting multiple partial recordings with expiration dates 1 hr ahead of the recorded time. Other channels record fine, like AMC, TNT, USA.

Just tonight (12/7/2015) I was trying to record on CBS and NBC and received the same error as well as multiple partial recordings with an expiration 1hr ahead of the end time.

Any insight into why this is happening and how do I resolve this?

Thanks,
Ivan
The channels in question are regular network TV and should not have any content restriction or encryption and should be copy free. I do not know why all of a sudden this issue is occurring nor do I know how to troubleshoot it. Any insight would be most welcome.

Also, I can watch Live TV just fine on these channels, it's just when I go to record that I get the issue

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:16 pm

We need way more info (tuner model, software (WMC?), cable provider). But my first guess is PlayReady is broken. Start by re-installing PlayReady and troubleshooting it. If you have a Ceton, run this so we can confirm the channels are really copy free:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... -page.html

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:03 pm

mdavej wrote:We need way more info (tuner model, software (WMC?), cable provider). But my first guess is PlayReady is broken. Start by re-installing PlayReady and troubleshooting it. If you have a Ceton, run this so we can confirm the channels are really copy free:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... -page.html
I'm running one of the original InfiniTV 4 PCie, Windows 7 WMC, and I'm on Time Warner Cable (upstate central new york). I also utilize a 1520 Tuning Adapter. I'll have to double check my InfiniTV revisions but I believe I'm still at 14.4.6.21 for firmware. It's been quite some time since I had to mess with the firmware so I believe that is the firmware I'm using (I didn't take any of the newer firmwares as I didn't get a warm-fuzzy that they were completely stable). I'll have to double check the TA revision as well as the CableCard revision. Maybe I'm being bitten by a CableCard firmware upgrade, maybe my segment on Time Warner took awhile before they updated? I haven't really been tracking any of the Time Warner "updates" as my system has been relatively stable/working up until this past Saturday (12/5/2015).

I will check the link you referrred to and see if I can verify the channels once I get back home.

If PlayReady was broken, wouldn't it hose up all my past recordings? Everything I have currently recorded still plays back fine. I can watch LiveTV fine as well.

Thanks again.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:09 pm

This happened to me recently and it turned out to be an issue with TimeWarner after some trunk-line work. A call to their CableCard support number got the provisioning sorted out, but only after a cold-boot of the system.

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:44 am

I checked the CBS station and sure enough in the Ceton Tuner Status I'm seeing "Copy Generation Management System - Analog: "Copy Never" (0x03)". However, this isn't showing up for all of the channels that are/used to be Copy Freely. I have another channel that should be/is (my TBS station) Copy Freely but all it shows is None but I can record it with no problem. I'm guessing this TBS channel doesn't have CGMS-A but my CBS channel does?

I checked my CableCard and this is what is shows for version: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101
My Tuning adapter shows: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901

I'm guessing my CableCard firmware was updated Saturday (12/5/2015) although I can't be certain of that as I've never checked the version previously. Is there a way to check when it was last updated? I'm trying to dig through the CableCard diagnostics pages but I don't see anything that jumps out at me.

I'm guessing I'm going to need to flash to the newer Ceton firmware. Hopefully this works and corrects my issue.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 am

The latest Ceton firmware does remove the CGMS restrictions, pretty sure this is it http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 506#p84506

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 am

I successfully applied the Ceton firmware update and rebooted my machine. I checked the same problem channels and I'm able to record all of them without it barking at me. The Copy Protection status now consistently shows "None" for the problem channels.

I have all 4 tuners recording now and will let in run this way for a little bit to make sure the issue doesn't rear itself.

Hopefully this new firmware doesn't have other side effects. I've been running relatively incident free up to this point. I've had my fair share of of signal level and tuning adapter headaches in the past but so far so good except needing to power cycle the tuning adapter every few weeks to get it to "refresh" the channel maps.

Thanks for everyone’s input and assistance, much appreciated.

jal1234

Post by jal1234 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:34 pm

Going to the Beta firmware also solved my issues. I have a Ceton pciE card with a Cisco cable card on WOW! Was getting copy protection flags on FOX with recording starting and stopping, and copy once protection on SyFy and USA. Both problems are now gone. Thanks for this.

dmac

Post by dmac » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:06 pm

RyC wrote:The latest Ceton firmware does remove the CGMS restrictions, pretty sure this is it http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 506#p84506
Thanks for posting the link. I tried updating to a beta version using the Ceton UI, but did not get this version. This version fixed my issue (copy never flag on NBC high definition channel). I have been having the issue for about 4 weeks now, but it's resolved thanks to the shared knowledge here.