Ceton Infinity 4 has a "loose wire"?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
grittree

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Infinity 4 has a "loose wire"?

Post by grittree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:54 am

Can the cable card reader in a PCIe Infinity 4 have a "loose wire"?

I'm on TWC, and just started having problems with pixelization, sometimes minor, often major. In the last 24hrs I have been on the phone with their CC support people six times.

We always do the Ceton Diagnostics in Win7. First we do the CC stuff, and find "not locked" and "zero EMMs". They send something and that gets fixed, but then when I reconnect the TA (tuning adaptor for SDV), it goes pixelated again. They then send something that fixes that. Now it works, for a little while, and than in a few hours we go back to step one.

One of the techs wanted to roll a truck (in about 5 days), but the last one says the problem is Ceton's card reader. The "loose wire".

So, my question is, does that make sense? I've had it many years. But when the guy said "loose wire", I'm very doubtful. Being the weekend, I can't contact Ceton.

Hoping someone on TGB knows a lot about this and can give advice.

DiamondKing1976

Post by DiamondKing1976 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:43 am

The zero EMM issue is probably because you do not leave your PC on all of the time. That was my issue. Only after a phone call to TWC every two to three weeks for a year did we figure this out. I guess the card gets these "updates" frequently and if the PC is not on it will not update. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I think it is TWC playing games with cable card users because we are not as profitable to them since we do not rent the boxes from them.

I would get pizelization pretty frequently in the past. My issue was the feed line for my entire street was bad. They fixed the pole at the end of the road and the issue was gone. They were surprised no one had called about it, I put up with that for about three months. The issue came back to light fairly recently again and they replaced the line coming in to my home.

My new problem is my local channels give me a black screen until I unplug the tuning adapter. I guess I am getting that replaced next.

grittree

Post by grittree » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:31 pm

My HTPC runs 24/7, so that isn't the problem.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Double post, unable to see the "delete post" button.
Last edited by Crash2009 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:12 pm

I am doubtful of the broken tuner theory also. As i recall, it is possible, to insert the CableCard, upside down, without damaging anything. What did Ceton have to say?

Most of the time, the blame ends up on the Cableco's cabling.

Here are a few suggestions.

1 look around on the Ceton site and get the upgrade for your htpc's USB drivers.

2 many of us have the TA and Tuner cabled like this. This is contradictory to the instructions from the cable company.

....disregard the MoCA devices, including the POE
....and of course your USB and coax cables are plugged in to the HTPC.

3 if you decide to prove the TWC Signal is the problem. We have the tools to do that. Unfortunately, effort is a requirement.

4 as Adam says, the pigtail is a possibility also.
Attachments
SimpleMoCAwithETH6andTA_001.jpg
AllCetonSignals001.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:34 pm

I gave up on my InfiniTV4 PCIe last March, after a few weeks of wrestling with a sudden inability to achieve OOB lock.

Nothing--absolutely nothing--would solve this suddenly appearing problem.

I've heard that maybe the pigtail has suddenly caused problems, and that a new one would fix it. Who knows. I'm done with cable.

KFish

Post by KFish » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:44 pm

I had an issue with pixilation and poor signal strength. The issue was with the pigtail. After moving the htpc for cleaning and dusting a few times, the connection between the pigtail and card became weak. I verified this by touching the pigtail while a program was on and saw the image get either better or worse. I replaced the pigtail and the issue was resolved.