What's Ceton's plan?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

What's Ceton's plan?

Post by Beerman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Other than a tweet or 2 from Ceton saying they will continue to "develop new innovative platforms for the delivery of both audio and video into consumers' homes" I've seen nothing. While I can understand they can't be fully transparent, giving no idea if they have plans for life after WMC is likely only to help SiliconDust, IMO. It's still early and there's no reason to jump ship but I would personally like to know that, should I want to upgrade to W10, that my investment in my ETH6 is still there.
Has anyone heard anything at all regarding the future of Ceton and W10?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Your guess is as good as ours. They're MIA.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 pm

You'd think they'd say something as close as we are to W10 release. Not that they owe anything to anyone but I'm sure I'm not the only Ceton user who's wondering what's planned.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:50 pm

We're all wondering but have learned that asking is futile and a waste of time. Last time I checked, Vista, Win 7, Win 8 and Win 8.1 will continue to function indefinitely.

AnneM

Post by AnneM » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:57 pm

I would like to know what they are thinking. Remember when they were starting out, how transparent and active they used to be here, on their baby website, and in all social media? I'd like to see that type of communication again.

They will have to practically start all over again when cablecard support is inevitably dropped by the cablecos. But what I am most curious about right now, is if they are developing a WMC software replacement for their tuners. Why so quiet on this subject?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm

I understand it's not their job to concern themselves with a media center program but I've not heard about any updates to any hardware or software they currently have. It's been in limbo for many, many months.
Possibly they are working with a third party and that's cool too. But, I would think they'd feel somewhat obligated to keep their customers informed when some have asked about future plans. They owe me nothing and I am under no thoughts that they are obligated to keep up with other companies updates but...........wouldn't it be nice if they did?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:47 pm

I would assume the worst until proven otherwise. I suspect they will sell currently inventory and not say or do anything that might effect this.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:57 pm

IMO - they'll simply ride their current product offering until no one buys it anymore. They don't seem interested in even maintaining their MMC app whatsoever, so I don't see much in their MediaCenter future (the limited one it has, that is0.

That said, I imagine they're still up to their eyes in litigation with the Gibson lawsuit that it would be in their best interest not to intro anything new until the dust settles there (maybe it has already, but I didn't see anything recently on it). Meh, time to move one and hopefully SD succeeds in their dvr endeavor...

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Yeah, at this point, they're dead until proven otherwise.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:08 pm

I was thinking the other day how interesting it was Microsoft changed our EPG data to be in line with Xbox One. Then asked us in the WMC community to submit tickets for any issues we find. I submitted one and it was resolved rather quickly.

I'm thinking CableCARD tuner support for Xbox One might be on the horizon? The ETH 6 and HR units could have a little bit more life if they did that.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:40 pm

kd6icz wrote:I was thinking the other day how interesting it was Microsoft changed our EPG data to be in line with Xbox One. Then asked us in the WMC community to submit tickets for any issues we find. I submitted one and it was resolved rather quickly.

I'm thinking CableCARD tuner support for Xbox One might be on the horizon? The ETH 6 and HR units could have a little bit more life if they did that.
Could be a possibility but how many folks would have moved on by then. With so many cutting the chord completely and getting their tv fix from the net, one could completely understand how tacking a new undertaking might be financially unfeasible.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:43 pm

kd6icz wrote:I was thinking the other day how interesting it was Microsoft changed our EPG data to be in line with Xbox One. Then asked us in the WMC community to submit tickets for any issues we find. I submitted one and it was resolved rather quickly.

I wouldn't read that much into it, but one can hope. The take away should be that an actual Microsoft employee came here to keep us informed and offered an avenue of communication regarding the EPG that many see as the weak spot in Media Center's existence. This means we can enjoy our MCs for a little while longer.

While I'm enjoying taking Silicondusts forthcoming solution for a test drive, I have to say I feel very "at home" when I switch back to Media Center.

curtis

Post by curtis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:16 am

mcewinter wrote:

I wouldn't read that much into it, but one can hope. The take away should be that an actual Microsoft employee came here to keep us informed and offered an avenue of communication regarding the EPG that many see as the weak spot in Media Center's existence. This means we can enjoy our MCs for a little while longer.

While I'm enjoying taking Silicondusts forthcoming solution for a test drive, I have to say I feel very "at home" when I switch back to Media Center.
Agreed, don't read anything into that. Having worked at MSFT for 13+ years, I'd say it was more a case of reducing cost of maintaining different epgs.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:19 am

curtis wrote:
Agreed, don't read anything into that. Having worked at MSFT for 13+ years, I'd say it was more a case of reducing cost of maintaining different epgs.
Don't they make at least a little money off the viewing habits data from WMC? TiVo does! Microsoft should too! At least it wouldn't be such a "financial burden" then.

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:57 pm

I think by the time Ceton comes out with something, I'll have moved on to either all SD tuners or cutting the chord and finding other alternatives. It's not just W10 as I can always keep a box with W7 or W8 on it with WMC but the fact that there's been no sign of life at Ceton for a long time makes me wonder if there is any future.
Actually, I wonder how the future of cablecards will be though that's a discussion for another thread.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:02 pm

"cord". Not "chord".

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:25 am

adam1991 wrote:"cord". Not "chord".
Well, I do play guitar, banjo and mandolin. :lol:

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:26 am

Don't cut those chords ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:22 am

Just searching for stuff about Ceton it looks like they are a family owned and operated?

http://cetoncorp.com/company/management/

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:00 pm

^ yes you could say a similar size to Silicon Dust perhaps a bit larger. Their main segment is commercial systems.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123