Beta firmware candidate for InfiniTV available - 15.1.13.152

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
timaster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by timaster » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:14 am

Well so far, 15.x has survived without a reboot longer than 13 or 14 ever did on my eth6 with TA, but memory still climbing here, at 23.4MB after 33 days. So far so good otherwise, am waiting to see how long it goes, and if it ultimately starts acting up or spontaneously reboots.

timaster

Post by timaster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:44 am

Amazingly after 47+ days, no reboot yet, might be luck or not, but this is the most stable experience with any eth6 firmware yet. Still leaking memory though, am now at 26.6/28MB, so waiting to see if it max's out and what happens then. But up til now I never made it much past 30 days without either needing to reboot, or having one happen spontaneously.

cats22

Post by cats22 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:54 pm

timaster wrote:Amazingly after 47+ days, no reboot yet, might be luck or not, but this is the most stable experience with any eth6 firmware yet. Still leaking memory though, am now at 26.6/28MB, so waiting to see if it max's out and what happens then. But up til now I never made it much past 30 days without either needing to reboot, or having one happen spontaneously.
I suppose you like living on the edge, but I prefer to be safe so I reboot once a week.
I think the usage may be related to how many time you tune a channel. I ran a script that was supposed to tune each channel and report on the copy protection, but it never finished, got slower and slower. Eventually I killed the script but even then, tuning channels was extremely slow until I rebooted. So you may find that if it is lasting longer before rebooting, it just means you have been doing fewer recordings.

timaster

Post by timaster » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:20 pm

cats22 wrote:I suppose you like living on the edge, but I prefer to be safe so I reboot once a week.
I think the usage may be related to how many time you tune a channel. I ran a script that was supposed to tune each channel and report on the copy protection, but it never finished, got slower and slower. Eventually I killed the script but even then, tuning channels was extremely slow until I rebooted. So you may find that if it is lasting longer before rebooting, it just means you have been doing fewer recordings.
This is more of an experiment with the latest build, I have two eth6's and the other one I updated to 15.x more recently (and it gets regular reboots, it is the wife-compliant tuner :)

Usually at some point by or before 30 days I would see issues like slow tuning or other odd issues like you mentioned, assuming it didn't crash/reboot first. I've also never seen the memory usage as high as it is now, because before it would ever reach this level it would have crashed or needed a reboot. The duration before crashing (30ish days or less) was true for me for both the high usage tuner as well as the lower usage one. This was true of all the 13.x and 14.x builds I tried. And this may be a fluke, but so far those issues haven't cropped up, and the only big symptom right now is the ever growing memory footprint. I've even run the tuning script a couple times on this thing, and so far so good still. Other than that, usage overall has remained about the same as before, the only big change is the updated FW. Like I said, might just be a fluke though, next boot might show other issues, you never know. I'm just hopeful that its a sign that some of the longer running bugs are getting squished finally. I'm just very curious to see what happens when the memory usage gets to 28, assuming it doesn't crash first.

kyleechols

Post by kyleechols » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:59 pm

I have occasional audio drops using this firmware on my InfiniTV4 (PCIE), everything else appears to be working great.
For what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and MythTV Version : v0.27.4-30-g3b43903, MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27. The InfiniTV is plugged into a pcie 1x slot on the Myth Server, this is my primary tuner. I also have a HDHomeRun prime that runs over Gig Eth plugged straight in to my router, then through a switch to the Myth server, and I haven't seen the same behavior on it yet, although it gets less use. I'll be testing with it more over the next week or two, so I should be able to provide an update over the next few days.

My issue doesn't appear to be related to uptime, as I've seen as recently as today and my current uptime is 1 day 16 hours 49 minutes.

cats22

Post by cats22 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:35 pm

kyleechols wrote:I have occasional audio drops using this firmware on my InfiniTV4 (PCIE), everything else appears to be working great.
For what it's worth, I'm using Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and MythTV Version : v0.27.4-30-g3b43903, MythTV Branch : fixes/0.27. The InfiniTV is plugged into a pcie 1x slot on the Myth Server, this is my primary tuner. I also have a HDHomeRun prime that runs over Gig Eth plugged straight in to my router, then through a switch to the Myth server, and I haven't seen the same behavior on it yet, although it gets less use. I'll be testing with it more over the next week or two, so I should be able to provide an update over the next few days.

My issue doesn't appear to be related to uptime, as I've seen as recently as today and my current uptime is 1 day 16 hours 49 minutes.
Are you having audio drops with LiveTV, or recordings made from the Ceton? I don't think it could be related to the Ceton since it passes an MPEG stream with audio and video all embedded and I don't think the audio could get lost and the video still make it through. If you take the recorded file and play it with VLC is the audio still missing?

Note - on the Homerun prime running through a router - I had problems with that losing packets and had to run it through a switch only - probably buggy router firmware.

I thin the ceton PCIE will have less issue with uptime since your backend probably gets powered off sometimes. Most of the uptime problems have been with the ETH model which is always on even if the backend is off.

timaster

Post by timaster » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:55 am

Spomtaneous reboot right after hitting 27/28, no other symptoms seen though.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:17 pm

timaster wrote:Spomtaneous reboot right after hitting 27/28, no other symptoms seen though.
Thanks for the update. How many days to reach that point?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:04 pm

timaster wrote:Spomtaneous reboot right after hitting 27/28, no other symptoms seen though.
So it looks like you hit 55 days or so, Your report before had you at 26.8/28 at 47 days so it must of run for some time very close to 28. I've never made it that high without having to do something but I have noticed that at points the memory does decrease and then increase again. Maybe you hit a peak that went 28/28 and it was an OOM error?

kyleechols

Post by kyleechols » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:19 pm

cats22 wrote:
kyleechols wrote:I have occasional audio drops using this firmware on my InfiniTV4 (PCIE), everything else appears to be working great.

Are you having audio drops with LiveTV, or recordings made from the Ceton? I don't think it could be related to the Ceton since it passes an MPEG stream with audio and video all embedded and I don't think the audio could get lost and the video still make it through. If you take the recorded file and play it with VLC is the audio still missing?

Note - on the Homerun prime running through a router - I had problems with that losing packets and had to run it through a switch only - probably buggy router firmware.

I thin the ceton PCIE will have less issue with uptime since your backend probably gets powered off sometimes. Most of the uptime problems have been with the ETH model which is always on even if the backend is off.
I usually see it with LiveTv, I've only see it happen with a recording a handful of times and it didn't matter how I played it then, but that was long before this firmware when I was on hardware that failed shortly thereafter.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:29 am

upgraded to this firmware earlier today on my Eth6. Within an hour I started seeing some serious macroblocking. I immediately downgraded the firmware and the everything turned back to normal. I guess I'm gonna wait till a more stable version is released. Any idea on when stable version will be released?

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:57 am

tapout72 wrote:upgraded to this firmware earlier today on my Eth6. Within an hour I started seeing some serious macroblocking. I immediately downgraded the firmware and the everything turned back to normal. I guess I'm gonna wait till a more stable version is released. Any idea on when stable version will be released?
I thought I noticed the same macroblocking that you mentioned, but unlike you I convinced myself that I was "seeing things" and didn't switch back to the previous firmware until months later -- as soon as I did, the quality of video went back to the same hq video I was used to receiving.

cats22

Post by cats22 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:03 pm

jfreiman wrote: I thought I noticed the same macroblocking that you mentioned, but unlike you I convinced myself that I was "seeing things" and didn't switch back to the previous firmware until months later -- as soon as I did, the quality of video went back to the same hq video I was used to receiving.
I have been using it for a couple of months and I have no problems with quality of HD channels. Perhaps the new firmware is more sensitive to network or signal strength problems? Also what software are you using? Mythtv or Windows media center? I am using mythtv. The firmware upgrade is important for mythtv users, without it I do not get some channels.

Sea3

Post by Sea3 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:32 pm

tapout72 wrote:upgraded to this firmware earlier today on my Eth6. Within an hour I started seeing some serious macroblocking. I immediately downgraded the firmware and the everything turned back to normal. I guess I'm gonna wait till a more stable version is released. Any idea on when stable version will be released?
Ceton might already have enough feedback for this beta, but it couldn't hurt to open a ticket for your issue.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 pm

It would be helpful when discussing FW upgrades if you included the cable system, geographic location and type of system (Cisco, Moto, NDS, etc) and if you have SDV or not.

Since the FW has to work with or customize itself for the various cableCARDs, it is possible that different systems will have different results. With the additional information we could judge what might happen in our own circumstances.

Personally I'm on TWC in Los Angeles on a Cisco head end with SDV and the only drawback I've had is that I can no longer open the diagnostic tab on the cableCARD which exposes the cableCARD FW version and any update to the FW on the card along with the Serial number and other interesting information like the boot time and current time, so it shows if there was some uncalled for cableCARD restart.

Otherwise I've had no change in picture quality and so far stability has been good on both ETH and PCIe6 devices.

tapout72

Post by tapout72 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:39 am

JohnW248 wrote:
It would be helpful when discussing FW upgrades if you included the cable system, geographic location and type of system (Cisco, Moto, NDS, etc) and if you have SDV or not.

Since the FW has to work with or customize itself for the various cableCARDs, it is possible that different systems will have different results. With the additional information we could judge what might happen in our own circumstances.

Personally I'm on TWC in Los Angeles on a Cisco head end with SDV and the only drawback I've had is that I can no longer open the diagnostic tab on the cableCARD which exposes the cableCARD FW version and any update to the FW on the card along with the Serial number and other interesting information like the boot time and current time, so it shows if there was some uncalled for cableCARD restart.

Otherwise I've had no change in picture quality and so far stability has been good on both ETH and PCIe6 devices.
I'm on TWC in Hawaii also with a Cisco head end with SDV. Never really had any problems before upgrading. I was going to open a ticket with diagnostics but I didn't have enough time to really troubleshoot it. The wife wasn't too happy and Survivor was about to air in 30 minutes so I had to make the snap decision to roll back. I may give it another try but I'm gonna wait until after the basketball season is over.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm

I hope I never live where I have a Cisco head end.... Between what I read here and what my dad puts up with on his Tivo I've came to the conclusion they are junk!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Erkotz, if you're still reading this thread, it appears that there is a memory leak if you have SDV and no leak if you don't. Would that be due to the additional logging? Has this bug been identified and fixed?

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:17 pm

mdavej wrote:Erkotz, if you're still reading this thread, it appears that there is a memory leak if you have SDV and no leak if you don't. Would that be due to the additional logging? Has this bug been identified and fixed?
I don't have an SDV and my ETH6 memory slowly climbs and climbs. Then after 40-60 days of up-time, it spontaneously reboots.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks for the correction. I had seen some posts by someone on FIOS who did not have a memory leak. I wonder what it could be.