Will Ceton work with the "new" Android Tv?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will Ceton work with the "new" Android Tv?

Post by tzr916 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:44 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/27/andr ... google-tv/
It has support for PlayReady DRM, which could eventually make it a viable Windows Media Center or HTPC alternative for the enthusiasts that want that. It can tune directly into live TV broadcasts with the support of third-party hardware. SiliconDust makes TV tuners for viewers to watch TV over antenna or cable on a computer (or PS3), and that's what provided the live feed you saw at the keynote. It has a plugin for Android TV that will let it work with the company's current hardware, and unspecified future products. Lessons learned from Google TV and improved Android L support mean companies like Plex are already in position with impressive media apps, and hopefully that list will grow before Android TV debuts this fall.
WMC is working for me, but there are so many reasons to have this alternative. I really hope this round of Android Tv succeeds. I would hope it includes CABLE CARD, Live Tv, DVR, extenders/mobile. Would Ceton have to do anything (like drivers/firmware/sit down with google/etc) for this to work? Or should I start considering changing teams?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:00 pm

I have a feeling the dlna portion of the Homerun is what will make this work. Just my thoughts.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:59 pm

No, DLNA would use DTCP-IP, not PlayReady.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

PlayReady is used to protect recorded files, not for transport (DTCP-IP and WMDRM and Real Helix are for transport). It's why the SD Android App and dlna TVs can playback protected channels, but not record.

Someone correct me if I'm not right though

I wonder what will come out of this...

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:39 pm

Windows Media Center does not use WMDRM. PlayReady includes backwards compatibility for WMDRM.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:46 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Windows Media Center does not use WMDRM. PlayReady includes backwards compatibility for WMDRM.
How does WMC not use WMDRM? How is the stream protected while being transported from the tuner to the computer? What is WMDRM pairing for on the tuners?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:51 pm

WMDRM may be used for the transmission between the tuner and the PC, but PlayReady decrypts that stream because it is backward-compatible with WMDRM. The stream is first decrypted by the CableCARD device. Then, the OCUR device re-encrypts the stream (presumably with WMDRM). Third, PlayReady decrypts the stream. Fourth, PlayReady encrypts the stream before storing it on the hard drive.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Point being that since the Android TV is supposed to have PlayReady support, then it won't use DTCP-IP to communicate with the HD HomeRun Prime tuner. And therefore, no DLNA. (Thank God)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:53 pm

We’re constantly monitoring emerging technologies and would certainly welcome more innovation around software solutions that support CableCARD-certified tuners. We haven’t announced any specifics regarding Android TV. The best way to be in the loop when we make announcements like that is to sign up for one of our contact points:

- Ceton Newsletter: https://www.facebook.com/CetonCorp/app_100265896690345
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CetonCorp
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/cetoncorp
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

jeff_rigby

Post by jeff_rigby » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Playready 3 contains Playready ND which is required for 1080P and greater streaming between platforms in the home. WMDRM10 and Playready ND are designed to work together to support DTCP-IP DRM, WMDRM10 can only support 1080i and lower resolution media while Playready ND supports 1080P to 4K media. The primary differences are the TEE requirement and Playready 3 requires support for HDCP 2.2 which is needed by Miracast, Playready 3, Playready ND and HDMI 2.0a.

DLNA 4.0 certified platforms paired with WMDRM10 and Playready 3 can support Vidipath with up to 4K media.