InfiniTV with Time Warner Cable in San Diego

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pohoda

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV with Time Warner Cable in San Diego

Post by pohoda » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 pm

This is my first post to the new forum. This is definitely more friendly than the M$ site.

I am setting up a 7MC system for a friend that has TW. I have COX and my experience is only with them using the InfiniTV card. Has anyone setup the InfiniTV card with TW in the San Diego area? If so what I am looking for is some insight into how to go about getting a cable card, installing it e.g. self install or required truck roll, does TW use SDV? Basically any information about the experience you have had with installing on TW would be appreciated. In the meantime I am trying to find any historical information on the M$ site, but thus far I have come up short. Thanks.

Paul

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:27 pm

I do not have personal experience with TWC or San Diego, but to make a few generalizations:
1) Many of the larger TWC markets have switched to SDV. That means you will need two tuning adapters to get all four tuners working right away. However, the TAs are going to be freed of that constraint in the next few months. They require a firmware update by the cable company.
2) Most cable companies really like to send out an installer to get everything started, even though they have no idea what Media Center is, and you end up doing all the work. Comcast seems to be the most lenient these days, but it really varies market-to-market. You could certainly try picking up a cablecard on your own- maybe go straight to your local TWC office. Due to a new government regulation, you will be able to pick one up without an installer some time in August, but not yet.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

pohoda

Post by pohoda » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply makryger. Based on what you are saying this install should be very similiar to my COX install. I currently have 2 CISCO TAs running on my setup at home. With COX it also required a truck roll, but the guys that came out had already setup other 7MC systems before so it was not that bad. I have also heard the same things that you mention about self installs coming in August and also a 4 tuner capable TA (my COX contact is telling me that it will require new hardware and FW update will not work on their system). I will give TWC a call and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Paul