TV Service Unavailable?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tjoynt

HTPC Specs: Show details

TV Service Unavailable?

Post by tjoynt » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I bought a (used) InfiniTV card a few weeks ago and moved yesterday and got CableCARD setup from Comcast.
Got everything installed, everything is paired, validated, etc.
I can tune channels from the Diagnostic, and it shows it works.
Signal strength is like -1.8db.
Go through the whole WMC setup, activate cablecard etc, and go to watch tv.
Go to the guide (on a channel that the diagnostic said worked), and i get TV Service Unavailable, signal may not be working.

I've read through after thread and the only thing I can find is that it might be codecs?
I have LAV Filters installed for Media Portal, but that's really it.

Any ideas? Should I just re-install windows and start from scratch?

Gonna submit a ticket, but figured I'd post here first

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 am

Can you connect the coax going to the InfiniTV directly to a different TV just to make sure there is a decent enough signal? If it works, do all channels work well with no audio/video glitches? I know you won't be able to get most channels without using the cablecard, but I'm thinking of whatever analog cable channels are left, and maybe some digital and/or broadcast ones that are clearQAM, if you are using a TV with a digital tuner as the test device.

Usually after a restart of my HTPC, I can't get WMC or extenders to recognize the tuners and start playing live TV until I open up the Ceton Diagnostic program and wait for it to find the InfiniTV PCI card (which takes a couple of minutes). Once the card is recognized in the diagnostic program, usually my tuners "come to life" again.

Did it ever work since the card was installed?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Did you run the Digital Cable Advisor? Did it give you a license key?

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 pm

It's plugged into a 3way splitter, with 1 going to my modem, 1 into an HVR-2250, and 1 into the Ceton.
Switched the Ceton and the 2250 coax, and 2250 still works and Ceton still doesn't.

I ran the Digital Cable Advisor, it looks like it checks my Win7 key, and came back ok.
I don't see ANY errors on anything Ceton wise, and the only "error" i see on WMC is that there is no signal.

Is there anywhere other than WMC to check for video feed?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Did the DCA actually display the key on your screen? If you didn't see the key, then you may have a problem with an "OCUR BIOS" like I had.

When you run the Ceton diag program, does it show a green check mark next to everything?

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:04 pm

Yeah, it displayed my key.

And yes, everything is a green checkmark.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 pm

tjoynt wrote:Yeah, it displayed my key.

And yes, everything is a green checkmark.
There are several things that can keep a cableCARD tuner from working. Codec (uninstall anything you've added until it works and then re-install until it doesn't work and you'll have you culprit---sorta like Macintosh Extensions in the dark ages).

Firewalls and NAS software can prevent operation as well. Uninstall any AVS other than MS Security Essentials. Don't turn it off, uninstall it and get the cleaner from McAfee, Norton, etc and clean the system. Make sure that the Windows firewall is TURNED ON otherwise the required ports won't be authorized and opened for the tuner.

Check a restransmission Broadcast channel first and see if that works. With multiple tuners you might want to start without your 2250 running in Media Center so when you run set-up only choose the Ceton device--you can add that later as well and see if everything still works.

My guess would be either NAS software or codecs. The DRM for the cableCARD doesn't like other mpeg decoders in the system.

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 am

Reinstalled windows. Installed Ceton card only, no hauppauge.
Went through the whole windows media center setup, same thing.

Turned firewall off and back on, reset network settings and it asked me to add the ceton, I did.
Still nothing.

Looking in the ceton log and seeing lots of weird errors.

A lot of "null pkt in filter: trying to fix"
Submitting a ticket now.

Does it mean anything that I bought this from someone else that has used it before me?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:00 am

Update to our latest beta firmware if you aren't already on it. Depending on your Comcast area, it may workaround an issue on certain Comcast systems which could cause this symptom.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Did that, still the same thing.

EDIT: realized i have an insane amount of windows updates to install. gonna try that

EverydayDiesel

Post by EverydayDiesel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Just curious, which one is a stronger signal.

-1.8 or -20

I would assume the -1.8 is the stronger of the two signals but i could be wrong

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:31 pm

EverydayDiesel wrote:Just curious, which one is a stronger signal.

-1.8 or -20

I would assume the -1.8 is the stronger of the two signals but i could be wrong
Yes, -1.8 is stronger. Think of a number line with negative numbers left of zero, and positive numbers right of zero. The farther to the right you go, the stronger the signal gets. However, in terms of TV/Radio reception, zero is perfect.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Every 3dB you're basically doubling the wattage (signal power). So 3dB is 1 watt, 6 is 2 watts, 9 is 4 watts, etc.
It gets a little confusing being both a logarithmic scale AND going into the negatives, but basically its the same thing. 0dB would be 1/2 watt, -3 is 1/4 watt, etc, etc.
While that seems relatively small, most equipment is geared towards 0 being the optional number. More than that and you'll probably start overdriving the equipment. Think what happens to the speakers when you turn the volume to high for them. more isn't always better.

Viventis

Post by Viventis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Do you have a Tuning Adapter? SDV channels will display that message unless your TA is locked with your cable provider.

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Wed May 01, 2013 12:16 am

I don't have a tuning adapter. I was under the impression I didn't need one with Comcast. Never had to before with a TiVo (whereas I had to with Charter and a TiVo), and I definitely asked the install guy and he said no

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed May 01, 2013 6:00 am

Comcast does not use SDV (and as such, TAs are neither offered or required).
If you have any firewall/internet security software installed on your PC, remove it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 pm

I have no firewall, no nothing.
I have a ticket in, and they're been pretty helpful but found nothing yet.
Seems like it's a software issue from what they've said.

It is literally a clean install of Windows 7 with nothing on it but every single windows update. No other software at all.

Did ANOTHER clean install of Win7, this time without having the Hauppauge HVR-2250 in at all at any point.
Did all the Windows updates, installed the Ceton beta firmware, Diagnostics are fine, went through TV Setup and nothing.

Got a Win8 key, so gonna try that tonight. Really disappointed that support wasn't any more help after they decided it was infact software and not hardware

tjoynt

Post by tjoynt » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 am

Apparently the Windows 8 I got doesn't have WMC or something.

Does ANYONE have any ideas what my problem might be??
This is really really frustrating. I've never had this much of a problem with a tuner card

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu May 02, 2013 1:54 am

tjoynt wrote:Apparently the Windows 8 I got doesn't have WMC or something.

This is really really frustrating. I've never had this much of a problem with a tuner card
Your very first post said you went through setup in WMC and used the Guide.

Do you or don't you have WMC?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 am

tjoynt wrote:Apparently the Windows 8 I got doesn't have WMC or something.

Are you running Windows 7 or Windows 8? If you're on Windows 8, you have to upgrade to Pro and then add Media Center. If you're on Windows 7 what version/sku/edition are you running. Not every edition of Windows 7 has media center.