Hypervisor Question

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
brett_mce

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hypervisor Question

Post by brett_mce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:06 pm

Ok... I can say that server 2012 doesn't pass PCIExpress ports to any virutal machine.

So I can install the card to the host machine (server 2012)..but the centon diags fail, because there isn't a media center in server 2012.
So i read I can create a VM in hypervisor (win7 pro x64) and assign the the tuners to the win7 virtual machine...
I have no desire to access the VM directly...... just connect to it with MCE extenders...

Question 1.... can I push more than one tuner to the VM?
Question 2..... If I use a MCE Extender ( 360.. echo...) and connect to Win7 VM... will live TV stream to those extenders?
Question 3......What about copyright? Will it effect the extenders?

Any thoughts on this?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 pm

brett_mce wrote:Question 1.... can I push more than one tuner to the VM?
If you can push one, you can push them all - as far as Windows is concerned, they're only network devices anyway.
Question 2..... If I use a MCE Extender ( 360.. echo...) and connect to Win7 VM... will live TV stream to those extenders?
Extenders work exactly the same when connected to a VM as when connected to real hardware - the Extender doesn't care.
Question 3......What about copyright? Will it effect the extenders?
Extenders work exactly the same when connected to a VM as when connected to real hardware - the Extender doesn't care. Live TV works just fine on and Extender.

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/cet ... er-2008-r2

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:04 pm

Good News indeed... thanks...

what about the Centon Diagnostics erroring out because of "no ehome found"...? Safe to ignore this?
and finally, should I put in another physical nic for the MCE VM?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:59 pm

brett_mce wrote:Good News indeed... thanks...

what about the Centon Diagnostics erroring out because of "no ehome found"...? Safe to ignore this?
and finally, should I put in another physical nic for the MCE VM?
You can ignore this. FYI, this isn't something we would consider officially supported, that said, we will generally make a best-effort to help.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks..
No I wouldn't dream of holding ceton responsible for this scenario ....... so no worries there.

What I've discovered under 2012 server (x64 enterprise)... and installed the drivers, the centon diag utility would act "funky"..
General page would say PCIE driver not installed, and it can't detect firmware or software ver. and at the top it "can't detect card".
BUT in the infinity tab( and cable card..) after about 5 min search it would find the card.. (but the general tab remains blank...).
I'm thinking it's a driver version....
So it makes me wonder if 2012 and win 8 share the same core code .. will there be a updated version of the centon PCIE card driver coming out for windows 8?

(FYI.. i just finished up trying with vmwre 5.1 esxi and i cannot push the PCIE card to any virtual guest.... so i gave up on that idea...)

using driver w7_sp1_2012_28_0019_beta...

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm

I reinstalled my 2008r2 x64 server to make sure that I match all the examples out there.
I was able to install the card, drivers, diagnostics... but unlike the 2012 server.. at least the information about the card would appear and stay.
When I click the cable card tab, and at the bottom of the list .... channel xx is ok for entitlement..... . This would say Ok, then NO, then Ok, then No....
When I setup through network tuner, to a actual PC...(not vm).. I can connect to the turner but MCE says "No signal detected.
I tried this with a Virtual Machine and it gave the same error.

I gave up for the day.. and put the cetonPCIe card back into my regualar PC and everything works....

Do you think this is just a matter of asking the cable company to re sync the card while in the other machine?

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:53 pm

no one?
.. any thoughts?

dbailey75

Post by dbailey75 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:44 pm

brett_mce wrote:I reinstalled my 2008r2 x64 server to make sure that I match all the examples out there.
I was able to install the card, drivers, diagnostics... but unlike the 2012 server.. at least the information about the card would appear and stay.
When I click the cable card tab, and at the bottom of the list .... channel xx is ok for entitlement..... . This would say Ok, then NO, then Ok, then No....
When I setup through network tuner, to a actual PC...(not vm).. I can connect to the turner but MCE says "No signal detected.
I tried this with a Virtual Machine and it gave the same error.

I gave up for the day.. and put the cetonPCIe card back into my regualar PC and everything works....

Do you think this is just a matter of asking the cable company to re sync the card while in the other machine?
When you put the card in the server running Server 2008, did you rest the card and network settings, and create the manual bridge on the server? You may/will also need to go through the network sharing on the client PC's aswell.

You don't' need to reauthorize/pair the card unless you switch Cable cards and tuners, change from one machine to the next is ok.

brett_mce

Post by brett_mce » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:58 pm

thanks.. I got it running. I posted a basic how to guide with MS HyperV setup