Copy Never Flag

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
wmcuser1233

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy Never Flag

Post by wmcuser1233 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 pm

Has anyone ever had a copy never flag for a channel? I have one for nba tv and nba tv hd. I am unable to record anything on those channels. Does anyone think that this is a mistake or that the nba has requested this? If I want to get this resolved would it be any help to call the cable company, or would someone at ceton be able to help? Thanks

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 pm

are you kidding? Draconian DRM a *mistake*? On MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS programming????

I'll bet the mortgage, that's no mistake.

You may watch it, under their controlled circumstances, period. Record and watch again? Never.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 pm

adam1991 wrote:are you kidding? Draconian DRM a *mistake*? On MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS programming????

I'll bet the mortgage, that's no mistake.

You may watch it, under their controlled circumstances, period. Record and watch again? Never.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Yeah, we wouldn't want anyone second-guessing the referees, right?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:42 pm

AND putting the video evidence up on Youtube for all to see.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Who is your cable provider? Also is this an extra sports package (similar to NFL sunday ticket)?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 pm

It is on time warner cable. As far as I know it's on our digital plan. I'm not subscribed to any sports packages. They did this back in April. Every channel we had no copy protection, then they added copy once to all channels expect for nba tv. I will check to make sure what package that I have when I get home.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Please collect a Ceton Diagnostic Capture while tuned to this channel, then open a support ticket with us, and note in it that I directed you to do so.

wmcuser1233

Post by wmcuser1233 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Alright I will do that. I checked and they are part of my standard digital service as well as a sports pass. The mlb network is listed under the same packages and I can record that with no problem.

EDIT: I just put in the support ticket.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:50 am

This happened to me when I used to order the ESPN Gameplan package. The weird thing was it was when I first got my InfiniTV and I had just returned my TWC DVR. It was halfway through the college football season and I had been recording games on the cable DVR all season. The InfiniTV failed though with a copy never flag. I followed up with Ceton at the time and they confirmed the copy never. I even posted on here similar to this thread. Ceton said the cableco DVR should not be able to record either, but I know it did. I could have tried to get another DVR to prove it, but never bothered. Also, the ironic thing was I stopped ordering the package from TWC which cost them money because it lost its value for me.
Greg

aweber

Post by aweber » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Yeah, I have heard Copy Never on PPV or "subscriptions" like all those "get every game" packages (I think Gameplan is one of those). Other than that, I have thankfully not seen it.

-AJ

werds

Post by werds » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:34 pm

I saw it yesterday for the first time. Apparently my cable card has lost authorization and this Copy Never flag was thrown up on a preset recording. They had to re-enter the CableCard and all was fine afterwards (Comcast)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:38 am

gpatlanta wrote:This happened to me when I used to order the ESPN Gameplan package. The weird thing was it was when I first got my InfiniTV and I had just returned my TWC DVR. It was halfway through the college football season and I had been recording games on the cable DVR all season. The InfiniTV failed though with a copy never flag. I followed up with Ceton at the time and they confirmed the copy never. I even posted on here similar to this thread. Ceton said the cableco DVR should not be able to record either, but I know it did. I could have tried to get another DVR to prove it, but never bothered. Also, the ironic thing was I stopped ordering the package from TWC which cost them money because it lost its value for me.
While I have no doubt your experience was correct, all DVRs, including operator-owned, should honor this flag. If anyone else is in this case, I would encourage you to open a support ticket - we would love to push this issue.
aweber wrote:Yeah, I have heard Copy Never on PPV or "subscriptions" like all those "get every game" packages (I think Gameplan is one of those). Other than that, I have thankfully not seen it.
Per the FCC, the cable companies are only allowed to use copy never on things like PPV - some operators maintain that ESPN GamePlan is considered PPV, which I do not personally agree with, however only the FCC would be able to change their mind.