Beta Driver Installation Failure

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
voltaire10

HTPC Specs: Show details

Beta Driver Installation Failure

Post by voltaire10 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:14 am

I tried to update to the beta drivers, but the 8/28 installer fails at the tuning adapter service. I get an error saying I don't have proper permission to install the service, even if I right click installer and run as admin. Any thoughts? I haven't had any issues such as this, but recently I cloned my HD to an ssd...since then I installed the ceton companion and that's about it. Thanks!

Jason

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 am

Try this:
Uninstall all InfiniTV software from your PC
Restart your PC
Delete the Ceton folders, if they are still there
Try and install now.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

voltaire10

Post by voltaire10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 am

I didn't go back and reread your post before I did some tinkering. I did an uninstall and reboot, but did not delete folders. I modified the installation to exclude the TA service, as well as the network tuners. The install completes, and I was able to update both hardware and firmware through the diag utility. Reboot. Tried to rerun beta driver setup and allow the TA service to install, and it fails with a permission error...same as before. I have one user account on this PC, which is an admin account. I will go back and do an uninstall and delete folders as well when the pres debate is done, but if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears! I've made it worse with the uninstall because now I have no TA service.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:53 am

Hopefully Eric has some more suggestions. I noticed that when I checked security in Program Files on the Ceton that the Trusted Installer only had one check mark (I think it was read file contents) and you cuold change that. The Creator only had one check mark (I think for special permissions) and you couldn't change that. I haven't been able to install the beta drivers either BUT now you have the FW and HW installed you can uninstall the Beta drivers and go back to the last release and re-insstall that and you'll get your TAs back and the FW and HW should work with driver as well. BTW did you try and do a diagnostic scan with the Beta driver's new diagnostic utility? I couldn't save the file at the end of the scan (probably another permissions thing).

voltaire10

Post by voltaire10 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 am

That's exactly what I did to get all my sdv channels back. I didn't try the diagnostic scan before I did this. I did try the update feature from the new diagnostic tool a second time, checking the beta button. I noticed that a later beta popped up to download, but I didn't install.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:14 pm

If you haven't already, please open a ticket with Ceton on this issue.

ahwman

Post by ahwman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:52 pm

erkotz wrote:Try this:
Uninstall all InfiniTV software from your PC
Restart your PC
Delete the Ceton folders, if they are still there
Try and install now.
I had the same installation error and tried your suggestion, unfortunately same result. I opened a ticket and included log files weeks ago, haven't heard anything back...

voltaire10

Post by voltaire10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Ahwman...post the outcome of your ticket if it gets resolved. I have too much going on right now to invest any more time in this issue. Everything is working having rolled back to the older driver package after updating the hardware/firmware. I'll live for now.

Jason

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:20 pm

voltaire10 wrote:Ahwman...post the outcome of your ticket if it gets resolved. I have too much going on right now to invest any more time in this issue. Everything is working having rolled back to the older driver package after updating the hardware/firmware. I'll live for now.

Jason
"live with" what? What limitations does the older driver package have that the newer driver package--the one you can't make work--is supposed to fix?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

adam1991 wrote: "live with" what? What limitations does the older driver package have that the newer driver package--the one you can't make work--is supposed to fix?
While I can't attest to anything specifically, there are a number of stability fixes for Tuning Adapters in the new Service, some more detail (and much smaller and faster) diagnostic scans and if you get the new beta FW and HW tuning is really much much faster.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:12 pm

thanks. Fortunately, none of that applies to me so I can wait.

The older I get, the more I'm happy with staying in the middle--and hence top--of the curve instead of chasing after the latest and greatest.

voltaire10

Post by voltaire10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Based on other's experience with the speeding of changing channels with respect to SDV content, I was eager to try the latest driver package. While channel switching is not intolerably slow (~3 seconds), I was wanting to see if I would see an improvement. For right now, that can't happen...So, yeah...what JohnW248 said.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Try using Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx) to look for any Access Denied messages during the install. If you're not familiar with how to do it, I would recommend opening a support ticket with us.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 pm

erkotz wrote:Try using Process Monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx) to look for any Access Denied messages during the install. If you're not familiar with how to do it, I would recommend opening a support ticket with us.
Everyone that has reported failure (including me) has it happen at the same point. The installer gets to installing the TA Service and it fails with a permissions problem and asks to retry or cancel. Retry fails again, cancel rolls back the installation (kinda of). I found that you really need to run the general release installer again in the repair more to get everything back to before the "event".

I opened a ticket with support and they said it was a "known issue" but they have no solution as yet. They said it installs on a clean new install of Win7, but for those of us with lots of DRM 0x01 recordings, that isn't a solution.