Glee Marked as copy protected

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
spanner

HTPC Specs: Show details

Glee Marked as copy protected

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 am

Not sure I am posting in the right place. This is the first time I have had this issue, My wife watched glee on a linksys extender without issue. When i went to watch it later on my main HTPC the screen would go blank every 8 seconds or so for a split second. when i started to trouble shoot i noticed on the info screen for the recording it was marked "copy protected", first time i have seen this. Could this be a Comcast setting and a DRM issue. Just checked and it plays perfect on all my extenders also checked a recorded "parks and recreation" that is not marked "copy protected" and it played fine on my HTPC. I have Comcast Portland OR and my hardware is in my specs. Anyone else run across this?

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:26 am

An easy way to check if it did get the flag is to click the properties of the .wtv file in explorer or press 411 info on your remote whilst play is in progress
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:40 am

You have answered your own question. Comcast set the flag, and what you're seeing is a DRM issue. Copy protected shows play fine on extenders--which are simply running special instances of remote access to the PC on which the shows are stored--but not on other PCs themselves. What did you think "copy protected" means?

I just checked, and the two recent Glee shows are not marked copy protected here.

Sometimes I see a show that shouldn't be marked, come across as marked. I think it's a glitch somewhere in the cableco system. It happens only once in a blue moon.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:31 am

Spanner said he couldn't watch on his HTPC. I read this as the one in which he recorded which is hooked up to the extenders. This should work fine, especially if it works on the extenders. I have never seen network shows as protected with TWC, but everything else is. It all works on my extenders and HTPC though. Perhaps this is a handshake issue with video card?
Greg

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 pm

STC wrote:An easy way to check if it did get the flag is to click the properties of the .wtv file in explorer or press 411 info on your remote whilst play is in progress
I did this but not sure what I am looking for. will it say its been flagged everything looked normal

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:44 pm

adam1991 wrote:You have answered your own question. Comcast set the flag, and what you're seeing is a DRM issue. Copy protected shows play fine on extenders--which are simply running special instances of remote access to the PC on which the shows are stored--but not on other PCs themselves. What did you think "copy protected" means?

I just checked, and the two recent Glee shows are not marked copy protected here.

Sometimes I see a show that shouldn't be marked, come across as marked. I think it's a glitch somewhere in the cableco system. It happens only once in a blue moon.
I understand what copy protection means, what i don't understand is why it showed up now on a show where it has never been before. This is my main HTPC the one that the show was recorded on

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:59 pm

gpatlanta wrote:Spanner said he couldn't watch on his HTPC. I read this as the one in which he recorded which is hooked up to the extenders. This should work fine, especially if it works on the extenders. I have never seen network shows as protected with TWC, but everything else is. It all works on my extenders and HTPC though. Perhaps this is a handshake issue with video card?
I am going to check this out further. my video card is a ati 5450 and i just did a recent driver upgrade to catalyst 12.8 and had some HDMI audio issues that i fixed. In the previous catalyst software i remember seeing somewhere that everything was HDCP compliant. I cant seem to find it listed in the new catalyst but will keep looking. If it is the video card I need to stop updating things that are not broken.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:16 pm

If it's only occurring on one show, I doubt it's the video card.
Does the show flag as protected? It could just be an anomaly.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:31 pm

spanner wrote:I understand what copy protection means, what i don't understand is why it showed up now on a show where it has never been before.
Fact: the world is an imperfect place.

Fact: you've seen this exactly once. It is not yet an epidemic. See above.

Fact: this "for some reason they flagged this one show with copy protection" thing has happened to everyone now and again.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I will wait and see if this shows up next week or on other recorded shows before i get to carried away fixing things. Its great to have a place to come to and find out if your problem is a common one or just a anomaly. Thanks everyone for the help

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:08 am

It's perfectly natural to be concerned about if it hasn't happened before.
You did the right thing posting about it.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:26 pm

If you see this again, please collect a Ceton diagnostic capture immediately after the show airs (before the PC goes to sleep or reboots).
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

adam1991 wrote:
spanner wrote:I understand what copy protection means, what i don't understand is why it showed up now on a show where it has never been before.
Fact: the world is an imperfect place.

Fact: you've seen this exactly once. It is not yet an epidemic. See above.

Fact: this "for some reason they flagged this one show with copy protection" thing has happened to everyone now and again.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Fact: he did the right thing by posting his concerns/questions
Rich

spanner

Post by spanner » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:33 pm

spanner wrote:Not sure I am posting in the right place. This is the first time I have had this issue, My wife watched glee on a linksys extender without issue. When i went to watch it later on my main HTPC the screen would go blank every 8 seconds or so for a split second. when i started to trouble shoot i noticed on the info screen for the recording it was marked "copy protected", first time i have seen this. Could this be a Comcast setting and a DRM issue. Just checked and it plays perfect on all my extenders also checked a recorded "parks and recreation" that is not marked "copy protected" and it played fine on my HTPC. I have Comcast Portland OR and my hardware is in my specs. Anyone else run across this?
Well I'm Back :-) Just checked the recordings for bones, new girl, the mindy project, All fox channel 712 prime time. all listed as copy protected on the info screen which is new for me this season. the prime time for other channel recordings all work fine and are not listed as copy protected. All the Fox program recordings have the same issue as i listed in original post. "411 info" doesn't show any flags.

I will try and catch a live fox prime time and get a Ceton diagnostic and report back. I assume that this cant be done from a recording?

ntropy

Post by ntropy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Just wanted to chime in that I'm also having this problem only with Fox shows. Looks like Comcast has marked them all copy protected. I can understand them marking HBO or Showtime programming as copy protected but I find it hard to believe that X Factor and such need copy protection since it's broadcast TV. I'm using a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime and the issue appears to have happened on my end about 2 weeks ago.

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:01 pm

ntropy wrote:Just wanted to chime in that I'm also having this problem only with Fox shows. Looks like Comcast has marked them all copy protected. I can understand them marking HBO or Showtime programming as copy protected but I find it hard to believe that X Factor and such need copy protection since it's broadcast TV. I'm using a SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime and the issue appears to have happened on my end about 2 weeks ago.
thanks for chiming in its good to know i am not alone, think i might see what a call to comcast might bring, always fun. what comcast market are you in?
Last edited by spanner on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapaSmurph

Post by PapaSmurph » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 pm

I am also having the same issue. My cable company is Wave Broadband so I think it is an issue with Fox and not with the cable companies. I am running Windows 7 x64 with a Ceton 4 tuner card and I believe an ATI Radeon 5450 with the most recent driver update. No similar issues on any other channels or shows.

spanner

Post by spanner » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:18 pm

PapaSmurph wrote:I am also having the same issue. My cable company is Wave Broadband so I think it is an issue with Fox and not with the cable companies. I am running Windows 7 x64 with a Ceton 4 tuner card and I believe an ATI Radeon 5450 with the most recent driver update. No similar issues on any other channels or shows.
I also have a 5450 and this did show up after my update to Catalist 12.8. doesn't explain why they are marked copy protected, but could have something to do with how copy protection is handled.

ntropy

Post by ntropy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:21 pm

So I talked to Comcast about this issue today, they gave me some # to call for Fox which goes straight to voice mail and then says it's full. Nice eh? Anyway I emailed my local Fox station (Chicago market btw) and he said the issue should be resolved as of today. So let's cross our fingers and see what happens tonight.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:02 am

Again, if anyone is seeing this on a Ceton InfinTV, please collect a Ceton Diagnostic capture immediately after the recording takes place (must be before a sleep or reboot) and open a support ticket with Ceton. After doing so, please PM me the ticket #. I'd like to stir up some trouble over this, but I need some people that are experiencing this willing to push it with me.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation