Questions regarding Ceton infiniTV functionality

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
POPEPN

HTPC Specs: Show details

Questions regarding Ceton infiniTV functionality

Post by POPEPN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:28 am

Hi folks… First off, thanks in advance to anyone that may be able to provide feedback to my questions below!

I've been looking into my first HTPC build for many months now, just trying to figure out what all the pluses and minuses would be if my wife and I move away from our TimeWarner cable 2 dvr setup. I’ve also been trying to save up money for the build.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any feedback from anyone who already has a Ceton setup…

... of note, my current plan would be to use Windows Media Center and we already have two Xbox 360s we can use as extenders...

1) Regarding recorded shows, especially for sports. With our current TWC dvrs I will often times set a show to record and then start it about 15-45 minutes in so I can skip through commercials and half time. Would this be possible with the Ceton? In other words, start watching a show from the beginning while the recording is still in progress.

2) Regarding live tv; If I’m watching a show live, is the show automatically recording (buffering) up to an hour, or more, of what I’m watching live so I can rewind the live show?

3) Regarding live tv again; It sounds like with four tuners I could be watching a live tv show in the living room and my wife could be watching a live tv show in the bedroom… and we could actually be performing two other functions like recording two shows – all at the same time. Is that correct?

4) One last scenario, if all four tuners are taken up recording shows, could we still watch shows that we had previously recorded?

Once again, thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:42 am

one HTPC, two XBoxes--just what I set up 18 months ago. Strictly a DVR setup in my house; I don't store movies on it (I do it the old-fashioned way, with optical media).

1) yes, absolutely

2) yes

3) yes, absolutely

4) yes, absolutely

Question: why would you ever watch live TV? Just let the box record it if you want to watch it. Then at the very least you can skip through commercials (or, even better, set up comskip so you never even see the commercials, you see only the show--maximize *your* time in front of the TV).

POPEPN

Post by POPEPN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:49 am

Thanks so much for the quick response adam! And you're absolutely right about live tv... haha.

I really only watch live tv when it comes to sports. And usually I follow the scenario I mentioned above, record the show and start watching the recording part of the way through. So I'm really glad to hear the Ceton and WMC can do this. :)

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:51 am

Welcome to the green button :) I just replied to you over on slick deals as well :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

POPEPN

Post by POPEPN » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 am

Many thanks Motz! I went ahead and purchased the Ceton from newegg tonight! I'm looking forward to getting all of this set up. :D

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:26 am

You are going to love it and Media Center. Welcome aboard! Aside from a few quirks we have all grown to ignore with Media Center it s an excellent piece of software.
Greg