InfiniTV and firewalls

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
whowasat

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV and firewalls

Post by whowasat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:13 pm

I've enjoyed my InfiniTV for a long time but had to turn off Windows firewall and use Microsoft Security Essentials to get it to work. Bad choice as I got a nasty virus.
Rebuilt the PC with a fresh Win7 and Norton 360. But no matter how many tweaks I make to the Norton 360 firewall rules/settings, Media Center cannot find the tuners when the Norton firewall is turned on. Someone must have solved this dilemma by now, I hope.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Uninstall Norton .. Reboot the PC.
Install the Microsoft Security Essentials Latest Release http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials
Make sure you Install the latest Driver/Software package from Ceton's site here : http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/
After the Driver package is installed Run the Ceton Diagnostic Utility and make sure you have the latest Firmware for your Ceton Card (PCIe) or USB unit.
Everything should then work. When you install the Security Essentials it will ask you to enable the Windows Firewall Let it enable it.. There should be no conflict between the Ceton card and Windows Firewall afaik.
I have Windows Firewall = On, MSE and the Ceton Software and Drivers installed w/o any issue. I have both the PCIe and USB units.
Hopefully your previous Norton install hasn't messed up any registry settings preventing you form getting the Ceton working.
newfiend~

whowasat

Post by whowasat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:19 am

Thanks, but you're saying I cannot use Norton 360 with the Ceton tuner. I ran it previously with Microsoft Security Essentials and ended up with a terrible Zero Access virus. I hate to take the risk.

bobr31

Post by bobr31 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:18 pm

I use Norton 360 and was an early adopter (8/2010) of the ceton tuner. They are compatible. I had an initial problem that I solved by tweaking the Norton network settings.

You can check whether the device is been detected in the Network Security Map. Open Norton 360 > Click Tasks > Click Check Network Security Map. All of your network devices should show up along with ther trust levels.

Under Network Details click the drop down and select Local Area Connection 2, this should be your Ceton Tuner (It is on my system). Check the Trust level. Change it to Full Trust if it is not and then reboot. It may take a couple of reboots to take effect.

This is what worked for me. Hope it helps you out.

Later,

Bob

whowasat

Post by whowasat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Thank you Bob. I appreciate your quick response.

I had set the Local Area Network Connection 2 to Full Trust. I also set the InfiniTV tuner itself (192.168.200.1) to Full Trust. I went further and added firewall rules to every executable that I think is associated with Ceton [e.g. TAHSP.exe, etc] or Windows Media Center [e.g. ehshell.exe, etc.] and set them all to "Allow". Still, the only way I can get WMC to find the tuners is to turn off the firewall, set up the tuners, then turn the firewall back on. Everything works fine until I have to reboot for some other reason and then I'm back to WMC not finding the tuners. So I turn off the firewall again, set up the tuners again, turn it back on and I'm working again. While I'm getting good with setting up the tuners, I think I have proved that it is the Norton 360 firewall that is interfering with WMC communicating to the tuners.

Thanks so much for your help.
Dale

cram501

Post by cram501 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Does your Ceton always have the same IP address (is it a static or statically assigned dhcp address)?

Did you add the standard firewall rules that Ceton requires? (Detailed http://www.cetoncorp.com/documents/Infi ... 20v1.2.pdf

RTP UDP 5001-5016 IN
SSDP UDP 1900 IN/OUT
RTSP TCP 554 OUT
UPnP TCP 2869 IN/OUT
WMDRM UDP 5757-5772 OUT

I've used Norton internet security without a problem with the Ceton.

whowasat

Post by whowasat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 pm

My Ceton InfiniTV tuner is always 192.168.200.1
Its built-in network adapter is always 192.168.200.2
So I guess this is the world's shortest network. But apparently it's still a real network and the Norton firewall affects it. I've set Norton 360 to Full Trust for these devices on what it thinks is my Local Area Network 2

As to opening the list of ports shown in the Ceton instructions, I cannot do that directly in Norton 360. Instead one must add program rules whereby setting all the appropriate programs to "Allow" opens up those ports. What I cannot get Ceton to provide is the complete list of programs that need to be set to Allow. I've added every one I can discover, including all executables in Windows\ehome

cram501

Post by cram501 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 pm

Unless they've changed it recently, you should be able to apply specific ports/rules to Norton 360.

Depending on which version you have, it should be somewhere under Settings/Firewall or Settings/Network. (For Norton Internet Security it's under Settings/Network/smart firewall/advanced settings/General rules).

bobr31

Post by bobr31 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 pm

Sounds very frustrating. I have used Norton 360 with my ceton from the start and full trust settings was all that I needed.

A down and dirty solution may be a freeware program called startup delayer - http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/startdelay. I had a conflict between norton ghost and carbonite. I used this freeware to delay the start of carbonite until after ghost loaded and it avoided the conflict by letting ghost start first.

You indicated above you could get the ceton to work but on reboot norton blocked it Maybe you could delay norton 360 for 5 minutes to allow the tuner to load without inteference. Just a thought.

Bob