Any other Satisfied Ceton infiniTV Users?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by werds » Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm

I was extremely satisfied so I purchased a second one. It worked great for a few months and since this past fall I have had one headache after another. Between the random manual stops on recordings and the second infinitv refusing to tune in subscription channels that the first card does without a hiccup... then again we are a heavy use household and not being able to have downtime on the TV because of this makes troubleshooting hard. Even with these issues I say it is heads and shoulders above most of my other alternatives.

tomtoth

Post by tomtoth » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:50 am

werds wrote:I was extremely satisfied so I purchased a second one. It worked great for a few months and since this past fall I have had one headache after another. Between the random manual stops on recordings and the second infinitv refusing to tune in subscription channels that the first card does without a hiccup... then again we are a heavy use household and not being able to have downtime on the TV because of this makes troubleshooting hard. Even with these issues I say it is heads and shoulders above most of my other alternatives.

Same with me. First tuner great, added second tuner and started having all weird issues. 2nd tuner died in the first month (Ceton fixed it).. dropped recordings, tuners not available and all other sorts of fun.... BUT so far, after running cards right off ONT coax signal and playing with the Ceton PCI-E card slot placement.. (and for cooling purposes,added heatsinks and horizontal fan over the ceton cards) it has been stable for a number of weeks now.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:43 am

Yes, I am satisfyed. I broke the first one with a bad flash caused by my failing hardware. Mobo, ram, video card, and hard drive no good. It took awhile to figure out. Eventually I tried to downgrade the firmware, then upgrade the firmware, that failed too. Ceton support sent me a new card. It got here within 48 hours. Havn't had a problem since.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:53 pm

werds wrote:I was extremely satisfied so I purchased a second one. It worked great for a few months and since this past fall I have had one headache after another. Between the random manual stops on recordings and the second infinitv refusing to tune in subscription channels that the first card does without a hiccup... then again we are a heavy use household and not being able to have downtime on the TV because of this makes troubleshooting hard. Even with these issues I say it is heads and shoulders above most of my other alternatives.
Are you on our latest firmware? If so, have you opened a support ticket? Please PM me the support ticket number - I would like to look at it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

keithge

Post by keithge » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Just a little over a week of use and no issues at all. I was impressed with the way the Ceton team sent out a pre-arrival email thanking me for my purchase and informing me of all of my support options should trouble arise. That's good business. I would recommend their product to anyone in the market for a tuner.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:31 am

erkotz wrote:
Are you on our latest firmware? If so, have you opened a support ticket? Please PM me the support ticket number - I would like to look at it.

Hi Eric! Sorry I didn't respond right away but yes you have assisted on a previous open ticket I had regarding some of the issues. I manually closed it due to a pending move which I have just completed. After finally getting a Comcast installer that had their head on straight we were able to sort through the majority of my issues. Almost all of them had to do with the lack of familiarity that apparently most anyone at Comcast has with Cable Card installs in general as the tech was not only wowed by the system but constantly mentioned that in 10 years installing in the region this was his first Cable Card install. Whoever he talked to on the phone to fix the issues with the second cable card said the same thing and he stated he deals with the greater Maryland, Virginia area and he states he rarely gets calls about Cable Cards and when he does the installers are lost for the most part.

The biggest issue was identifying and understanding that once you go past one single ceton tuner the signal from the line needs to be boosted more than it does for the average set top box. Another issue is that provisioning needs to be done correctly on the account. We learned that on my specific account most reps were just looking at the first one and ignoring the second one. Once we got the reps to actually setup all subscriptions to BOTH cable cards I am now back up and running with all 8 tuners!!!

As far as the random freezing and manual stoppages. I have both cable cards on the most recent firmware now that I am at my new location. With all the other issues apparently out of the way (hopefully for good!) I can now reset the recording history and get a better baseline for the frequency of these stoppages if any and will open up a new ticket at a later date if necessary (although from reading your posts you believe the latest FW solves that issue). Oh on that note - is there an easy way to update the firmware for BOTH infinitv's in one system? I manually have to disable one or the other in order to get them BOTH properly updated it seems, was hoping I was missing something simple.

phenixdragon

Post by phenixdragon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:16 am

Love my Ceton but I think I may be dumping it to move to DirecTV so I am looking into the Colossus. Just been noticing what I pay per month for Comcast and would cut my bill by 30-50% to go with DirecTV, or even DISH.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:22 am

Just installed my iTv4 Monday night (Memorial Weekend sale) and I'm pleased so far (wife too). No sdv (tuning adapter) for Cox Cable in Roanoke, va so didn't have that to deal with.

Took me 9hrs to get it working (10pm - 7am, 3rd shift) b/c apparently my VisionTek 1Gb Radeon HD 5670's Hdmi doesn't support HDCP and wouldn't pass the digital cable advisor, so I had to remove it completely. Luckily my Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H mb's onboard Radeon HD 4290 does.
Then my tv setup wouldn't configure the ceton (saw the 4 tuners) & kept configuring my Hauppauge 2250 dual QAM card. I ended up disabling it in device manager. Found out later that I didn't have the M-Card seated all the way in the iTv4, but I'm not sure if I can use the Hauppauge QAM & Ceton iTv4 at the same time or not so its still disabled (I would like to use the FM tuner).
Activating/pairing the CableCard via Cox's 1-800 number went smooth.

Having full Digital & premium channels in HD, 4ch DVR on my win7 pc that I control, Xbox360 extender support, and full content streaming/remote control to my android phone/any browser (not iPhone) with Remote Potato = PRICELESS!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote:Just installed my iTv4 Monday night (Memorial Weekend sale) and I'm pleased so far (wife too). No sdv (tuning adapter) for Cox Cable in Roanoke, va so didn't have that to deal with.

Took me 9hrs to get it working (10pm - 7am, 3rd shift) b/c apparently my VisionTek 1Gb Radeon HD 5670's Hdmi doesn't support HDCP and wouldn't pass the digital cable advisor, so I had to remove it completely. Luckily my Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H mb's onboard Radeon HD 4290 does.
Then my tv setup wouldn't configure the ceton (saw the 4 tuners) & kept configuring my Hauppauge 2250 dual QAM card. I ended up disabling it in device manager. Found out later that I didn't have the M-Card seated all the way in the iTv4, but I'm not sure if I can use the Hauppauge QAM & Ceton iTv4 at the same time or not so its still disabled (I would like to use the FM tuner).
Activating/pairing the CableCard via Cox's 1-800 number went smooth.

Having full Digital & premium channels in HD, 4ch DVR on my win7 pc that I control, Xbox360 extender support, and full content streaming/remote control to my android phone/any browser (not iPhone) with Remote Potato = PRICELESS!
Yes, you can use both. I have my 2250 connected to an outdoor antenna for ATSC (OTA) reception. I also have another QAM tuner connected to the cable for ClearQAM reception. That tuner is actually another Hauppauge that has been re-branded with "ASUS".

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:56 am

barnabas1969 wrote: Yes, you can use both. I have my 2250 connected to an outdoor antenna for ATSC (OTA) reception. I also have another QAM tuner connected to the cable for ClearQAM reception. That tuner is actually another Hauppauge that has been re-branded with "ASUS".
Thanks Barnabas. After retracing my steps I was thinking I should be able to use the 2250. Now to see if I can get a response from Visiontek on wether or not my 1Gb Radeon HD 5670 supports HDCP over HDMI.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:46 pm

According to this page, the HD 5670 supports HDCP, but it only says that it supports it on the DVI output. It makes no mention of HDCP related to the HDMI output.

By the way, just in case you didn't know, HDCP is not supported via the Display Port output. So, if you're using some sort of adapter to make the Display Port on your video card connect to an HDMI cable, I think you're SOL. Ceton's Eric Kotz is trying to convince Cable Labs (or is that the HDMI consortium?) to include Display Port in the HDCP specification... but that will take years to happen, and may never be included in Media Center.

If it doesn't work by connecting an HDMI cable to the HDMI output of your HD5670 (without using a Display Port adapter), then my next advice would be to try a DVI-to-HDMI cable. They can be purchased pretty cheap... try http://www.monoprice.com. Many people have reported that their DVI output sends both video and audio. While this is against everything we've all been told about DVI... it makes perfect sense. The DVI-D output has the same bit rate and protocol as the HDMI output, so it makes sense that audio would be sent in the bit stream.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:59 pm

love mine. It has been flawless since I first got it going. Wayyyy better than my old HDPVR-> DVBlink-> 7MC.

Aberslam74

Post by Aberslam74 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 am

I've been up since June 8. No issues. Very happy.

epete

Post by epete » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:33 am

While I have seen some random issue, and posted about them; I am a very satisfied customer of two Ceton InfinitV4's and future customer of Q and Echo. I would not hesitate to recommend this tuner to anyone. Thank You Ceton for taking the risk to develop HW and SW solutions for Media Center!

radagast

Post by radagast » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

I can't complain about my InfiniTv. It has been pretty much flawless except for the occasional "no signal" error. I'm pretty sure though that even the rare recording that threw a "no signal" error still recorded, so essentially a cosmetic issue. Mine was one of the early batches that I pre-ordered months in advance from Zones. I did notice a recent change in protection flagging of recorded movies (made a separate post about it in this forum), but I'm not sure that has anything to do with the Ceton.

Can't wait for the Echo to be released!!!

Ravent

Post by Ravent » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 pm

You can add me to this list.

After serious tuning resolver issues and replacing them multiple times I finally got everything going super smooth. (not to mention the CP auth issues I needed a RMA for)

I use to get excessive "No TV Signal" messages due to the TR. Excessive meaning almost guaranteed if I had more than one show recorded.

I don't know what finally did it for me, but I think it was rejiggering all my cables/splitters/amp and moving the TR to another USB controller.

Now I haven't been getting error messages of any type and I'm doing some serious DVR'ing with the Olympics.

It's now seriously flawless. I don't have 29/59 nor do I ever notice the line macroblocking. My signal related pixellations have practically disappeared with my amp getting my SNR above 32 on most channels.

Basically, :grin:

Aberslam74

Post by Aberslam74 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:59 am

Up for 2 months since install. Totally happy.

RichardU

Post by RichardU » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:08 pm

My USB InfiniTV works great. The only problems are Windows related. Seems like every time my wife tries to use it, there is a Windows update, or Java update or something else in the way. I still have a cable box for her to watch live tv.

scunthorpe

Post by scunthorpe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm

For the best possible WAF I recommend disabling all automatic updates (even update checks).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:59 pm

scunthorpe wrote:For the best possible WAF I recommend disabling all automatic updates (even update checks).
+1