Yay! We're back! Ceton/Hauppauge question . . .

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Yay! We're back! Ceton/Hauppauge question . . .

Post by JTScribe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:22 pm

I just ordered a Ceton tuner to add to my system, which currently has a pair of HVR-2250s. I have them connected to my cable connection to get ClearQAM.

I have a nice external antenna that is currently dropped (I'm remodeling my house). I was considering not putting it back up, but was unsure if I could accomplish what I'd like.

Using TunerSalad, can I have four Digital Cable channels via the Ceton and four Clear QAM channels via the Hauppauge cards? I know DigiCable is considered ClearQAM by WMC so I was unsure if I would be able to mix sources in that manner as the two types would be receiving different channel lineups.

If I can't no big deal, as I can mount the antenna and pull in channels from a different major market if I like. Makes it nice during football season. (I live pretty much dead center of the triangle formed by Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinatti.

Thanks for getting this site up and running . . . that MS retake on TGB is heinous.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:49 pm

The tuners will be listed as "Digital Cable (ClearQAM)" and "Digital Cable (CableCARD)". You can have 4 of each of those by default. TunerSalad is only required if you want more than 4 of any particular tuner type.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Very cool, thanks. I wasn't sure if CableCard was under the NTSC or QAM "pocket."

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:50 pm

It's not under either one. It is its own category. In the US there are 4 tuner types:

NTSC
ATSC
ClearQAM
CableCARD

You can have up to 4 tuners of each type, for a total of 16 tuners. TunerSalad Footlong will increase this to 12 of each type, for a total of 48 tuners.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Where do I sign up?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:21 am

You don't have to sign up. Just visit http://mychannellogos.com/TunerSalad.aspx, pay your $5, and download TunerSalad! :)

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:26 pm

Boy the Comcast dude was clueless. I wanted to do a self-install of the CableCard but they don't have self-install kits until August. Yet they can get an M-card to me via driver in two days. Dumb. Thankfully he was late so their baloney $20 install charge was waived. All he did was call and activate it and replace my splitter with one that's supposedly better for CCs.

Anyway, got my channels organized the way I want them, dropped the $5 for MCL 2, and it's a beautiful thing . . . :D

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:51 am

is a two way amp required if you want to amplify your signl with a cablecard or will a standard one way amp work?

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:56 pm

nadspink wrote:is a two way amp required if you want to amplify your signl with a cablecard or will a standard one way amp work?
He didn't hook it up to an amp per se, supposedly just a splittler designed for Cablecards. I would think an amp might not be best to use unless you have a lot of line splits.