Ceton InfiniTV4 + Tuning Adapter Issues

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Ceiu

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton InfiniTV4 + Tuning Adapter Issues

Post by Ceiu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 pm

I want to start by apologizing if this is in the wrong place or this forum isn't really for support/help, but from the other threads I looked at, this seemed to be the best-ish place.

Anyway, I was wondering if any other InfiniTV owners have had any experience with an odd issue with the tuning adapter constantly being disabled. In my particular case, I installed the PCIe version of the tuner into a fairly beefy machine with a fresh copy of Win7 Pro. Got the software installed, cable card and tuning adapter validated (after a fair amount of hell dealing with Charter). But getting the tuning adapter to stay functional is impossible. When I first install the software and go through all the TV signal setup, I can get it to function for that period (assuming I'm not then fighting with other signal issues, like needing to have Charter reset the thing from their end). But as soon as I restart the computer or it goes to sleep, the tuning adapter stops working. The only way I've found to get the InfiniTV card and the tuning adapter to play nice again is by uninstalling the software, restarting and reinstalling. And even then, it only lasts for that session.

I've been working with Ceton, trying to figure out where the problem is. Since the tuning adapter and my card are still validated and still functional once I can make the two communicate, I'm fairly certain the problem lies on my end. Unfortunately, Ceton's replies have been getting more and more delayed and I'm getting increasingly frustrated with having to find bootleg streams to catch any tv I actually want to watch (bootleg hockey streams are painful to watch, btw). I really don't want to go back to a set top box, but I don't want a $300.00 inefficient heater either. That said, if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, throw them at me. I'm willing to try anything short of the ol' format and reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah. The cable card is one of those "standard" Motorola M-Cards, and the tuning adapter is a Motorola MTR700 with the 1.37 firmware.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I used to have all sorts of problems linking my tuning adapters, but haven't had any issues with the latest software/firmware. I recommend making sure the adapter shows up in devices and printers and if so giving the ceton card a chance to link it. I have charter with Motorola equip for your ref.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:02 pm

Do you have the TA plugged into a USB 3.0 port? Many USB 3.0 controllers have trouble with TAs - if so, please move it to a USB 2.0 port. Also, please PM me your ticket number.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

STC

Post by STC » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:51 pm

Ceiu wrote:I want to start by apologizing if this is in the wrong place or this forum isn't really for support/help
Au contraire, this is a great place to ask for help :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 pm

sccrgoalie1 wrote:I used to have all sorts of problems linking my tuning adapters, but haven't had any issues with the latest software/firmware. I recommend making sure the adapter shows up in devices and printers and if so giving the ceton card a chance to link it. I have charter with Motorola equip for your ref.
I know it shows up properly in the device manager, though I've been forgetting to check devices and printers (Edit: It shows up in Devices & Printers, but is still disabled in the Ceton web page diag thing). I'm using the using latest software/firmware and even tried the beta firmware for the InfiniTV card, but nothing I've done is making a difference. I even went as far as uninstalling everything, then manually sifting through the registry and system32/drivers folders to ensure there are no remnants before reinstalling.
erkotz wrote:Do you have the TA plugged into a USB 3.0 port? Many USB 3.0 controllers have trouble with TAs - if so, please move it to a USB 2.0 port. Also, please PM me your ticket number.
Nope, no USB3.0 in this machine. The HTPC I've built is using an MSI K9A2 Platinum (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9A2-Plat ... =Win7%2032). I've moved the TA around to a number of ports to try to avoid any built-in USB hubs, but none of the four ports on the Mobo itself have made any noticeable difference.
stonethecrows wrote:
Ceiu wrote:...
Au contraire, this is a great place to ask for help :)
That's good. I didn't want to be that guy. :D

sherr

Post by sherr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:01 am

This is hard to believe. Fresh OS, new card, etc.
There are some issues with ip addresses. Does not seem this is discussed. When MS sends down updates and reboots, I sometimes have trouble with my slave receiver. I have to go through the re-configuration again. However, I am not fast with this.
If ip's are not an issue, I almost wonder if you don't want to try a new Mother Board. This has helped me in a few cases with other devices.

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I don't know about the motherboard, but there's something definitely up with some bit of hardware. I just noticed the firmware for the InfiniTV card is reporting 1.0.9.5, despite several attempts to upgrade to the beta firmware. Seems to work, but as soon as I restart it's back to 1.0.9.5. Seems to me like the card itself is shot. I've given the Ceton guys 5 or 6 diag reports to sift through and I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'm assuming they'll come to the same conclusion.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

I'm just taking a wild stab in the dark here... but if, as Erkotz says, some USB 3.0 controllers don't play nice with TA's, then I would guess (this is a SWAG... Scientific Wild-Ass Guess) that some USB 2.0 controllers might not play nice either. I have a VFD that doesn't play nice with the USB controllers on my motherboard... but it works just fine with a cheapie USB controller that I had laying around, and I plugged it into a PCI slot in the same computer.

Do you have any USB controller cards that you can plug into an open PCI or PCIe slot on your motherboard to try?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Duplicate post removed.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I don't have an extra USB controller on hand, sadly.

I'm thinking that I'll likely be exchanging the card for a new one by the end of the week, unless the Ceton guys happen to come up with a fix for the one I have.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:45 pm

I could be wrong... I can't say I know everything about the internal workings of the card, but it seems to me that the card wouldn't have anything to do with your Tuning Adapter problems. That would seem to be controlled by firmware/software.

It might be worth investing $12 to buy the USB card at the following link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124047

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:09 pm

That's my thought too. However, what really got me wondering about the health of the card itself is its inability to take a firmware upgrade, or changes of any kind, for that matter. It seems that any change I make -- firmware or otherwise -- are lost as soon as I restart the machine. I definitely am no expert on the device or even hardware in general, but my guess would be that something is shot on the card itself that isn't letting it hold onto any changes. My guess based on what little hardware knowledge I have would be the NVRam.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Ceiu wrote:However, what really got me wondering about the health of the card itself is its inability to take a firmware upgrade, or changes of any kind, for that matter. It seems that any change I make -- firmware or otherwise -- are lost as soon as I restart the machine. I definitely am no expert on the device or even hardware in general, but my guess would be that something is shot on the card itself that isn't letting it hold onto any changes.
I agree, request an RMA.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Scallica wrote:
Ceiu wrote:However, what really got me wondering about the health of the card itself is its inability to take a firmware upgrade, or changes of any kind, for that matter. It seems that any change I make -- firmware or otherwise -- are lost as soon as I restart the machine. I definitely am no expert on the device or even hardware in general, but my guess would be that something is shot on the card itself that isn't letting it hold onto any changes.
I agree, request an RMA.
My first Ceton card got fried when I first installed it because the metal bracket was bent and it didn't seat properly in the PCIe slot. Ceton cross-shipped a new one for me, overnight, with pre-paid return shipping. You can't ask for better service than that.

maximus4

Post by maximus4 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Any update on this one? I've had tuning adapter issues for months with no luck... did you manage an RMA?

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:07 am

I got the RMA approved no problem through Newegg. So it was pretty painless, though a tad slow.

I just got the new card today. The new card happily accepted the updated firmware, but the tuning adapter is still only functional immediately after installing the Ceton software and before restarting. As soon as I restart, the tuning adapter is disabled until I do another uninstall/reinstall.

So, I'm stuck. It's been so long since I've seen an HD feed, I think I'm getting used to SD quality TV again. :(

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:32 am

Time to buy one of those cheap USB controllers I mentioned earlier in this thread. That, or a new motherboard. I really, really, really don't think it has anything to do with the InfiniTV card.

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:36 am

My only hangup with that plan is what do I do with the USB controller if it doesn't help? I can't keep throwing money at this thing to make it work. I've already thrown away a month of HD cable service for, literally, nothing (not to mention the cost of the parts themselves).

For people who are having success: What controller card are you using (if any)? If you're not using one, what motherboard/chipset are you using? I want to at least make sure that if I do have to buy another card, it's going to be one that's known to work.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:41 am

Ceiu wrote:My only hangup with that plan is what do I do with the USB controller if it doesn't help? I can't keep throwing money at this thing to make it work. I've already thrown away a month of HD cable service for, literally, nothing (not to mention the cost of the parts themselves).

For people who are having success: What controller card are you using (if any)? If you're not using one, what motherboard/chipset are you using? I want to at least make sure that if I do have to buy another card, it's going to be one that's known to work.
Easy answer: Look at my system config (see my signature line). I have my TA connected to one of the internal USB 2.0 headers. Works fine.

As for the money, the controller I linked to was less than $20, if I remember correctly. NewEgg also has an excellent return policy.

Ceiu

Post by Ceiu » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:53 am

Well, the problem has finally been identified. Hopefully the folks at Ceton fix it in the software soon enough.

Seems there's a very specific order things (services) need to startup in, otherwise things break. In my case, the InfiniTVTAHSP service (Ceton InfiniTV Tuning Adapter something something service) needed to be restarted each time I rebooted the machine. I fixed it by changing the startup type from "automatic" to "automatic (delayed)." There's a 30-60 second delay before the service will start now, but when it does, everything functions as it should.

Unfortunately, this was discovered a few hours after Newegg sent me the invoice and shipping information for the new USB controller. :(