Ceton ETH 6 Temperature

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jbf154

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton ETH 6 Temperature

Post by jbf154 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:08 pm

Is there a way to easily check the actual temperature of the ETH 6? The diagnostics tool just shows a green check mark, but not the actual temperature. Sometimes I run into an issue where some channels don't work saying "subscription required" but I am definitely subscribed to. Was wondering if it is because it is running too warm.

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:44 pm

Nevermind, I found it.

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm

So I randomly get service unavilable, but only on certain channels. It seems to be a different channel every day. Here is a screenshot of the temp, SNR, etc. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried clearing the channel map & that didn't work either. Is it running too hot?
Attachments
subscription.png

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 pm

I have fans on both my ETH's so they're quite cool. I get the same thing, most noticeably on recorded TV since we don't watch much live TV. It lasts around 30 seconds and I can skip ahead 30 seconds. I have no idea what causes this but it is annoying. I power cycle the ETH's daily since if I don't, I'll get the 'No Signal' message when a recording starts which clears up on the ETH power cycle.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm

mldenison wrote:I have no idea what causes this but it is annoying.
Crappy hardware/software.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:08 pm

So I've been putting up with this for about 2 months. It seemed like daily I would have to power-cylce the ETH6 AND do a cold reboot of my WMC HTPC. Then I figured out that I could record the show I was trying to watch live & eventually one of the 6 tuners would usually work. This was annoying though. So a few days ago, I got out my voltmeter and checked the Ceton power supply. The labeling on the power supply said it should be 12v @ 1.25 A (if I remember correctly). The voltage showed ~14.2V. I thought that was strange. I had a spare wall wart for an old cable modem that had the same specs & jack size except was rated at 750mA. I plugged it in and check it as well and it also registered at about 14.2V. So I tried on a prayer just plugging it in my ETH6 and guess what? No more problems (so far--fingers crossed). I know it is only rated at 750mA so I might buy another that is rated correctly, but so far, so good. Hopefully this helps someone out if they every have a similar problem. I know I'll still do periodic reboots of the ETH6 every few weeks, but I am fine with that.

jbf154

Post by jbf154 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:50 pm

So the different power adapter didn't seem to solve the issue. I called Comcast and re-paired the CableCARD just to make sure it wasn't an issue there. Not surprisingly, the issue was still unresolved. On a prayer I tried downgrading the firmware to this version (http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 55#p113655) and that actually seems to have resolved the issue. Hopefully it doesn't pop up again in the future.