All tuners in use, failing hardware?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jaimeknapp

HTPC Specs: Show details

All tuners in use, failing hardware?

Post by jaimeknapp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:56 pm

While watching a single channel, with no other tuners in use, I begun to occasionally get the "All tuner in use" error. Cancelling out of that and tuning to any other channel tune it properly and I can then tune back to the previous channel. There is nothing I can see in the logs to further pinpoint whether the CableCard, TA, or InfiniTV-4 may possibly be failing. This dedicated PC runs only Media Center with no addons and has had no hardware or driver changes since it was built. I do know that when the last firmware was issued by Ceton, that my card would not install it. That was over 3-years ago and since it was functioning well enough, I did not pursue it further.

I suspect the tuner itself, but ask if there is any way that I may confirm this before I launch into replacing the tuner card?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

The only way to confirm it is to open a ticket with Ceton support and send them the diagnostic logs. Since you were unable to upgrade the firmware, that means the flash memory is toast.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks. I actually did all that 3-years ago, but at the time was not in a position to purchase the "discounted" refurbished 6-tuner card they offered on trade-in. I know the flash memory is a problem, but it has otherwise worked well all this time.

Another point I forgot to mention is that, also occasionally, I get the subscription required error while already viewing a channel, with the same fix to either wait and it often restores, or to stop and re-tune channels, where it then resumes.

So, the presumption is that neither the CC or TA themselves would, or could be provoking my current issues and the Ceton *must* be at fault?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:24 pm

There is no way to definitively know if there is a hardware issue without an analysis of diagnostic logs. However, there are numerous issues with Ceton hardware documented on this forum. My suggestion would be to throw it out the window and get an HDHR Prime.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:02 am

I would suggest that you open the Ceton Diagnostics and observe each tab waiting for the failure. The diagnostic will show you what fails when you see No Tuner in WMC.

Recently I had a bad CableCard that was causing pixelation occasionally. The diag showed the failure in real time.

jaimeknapp

Post by jaimeknapp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Unfortunately, it most always occurs when the wife is watching and it nearly always restores by just waiting it out.
It has been a very long time since I have generated log files from the diagnostic page and perhaps I should do that just to clean out its entries.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I would suggest that you open the Ceton Diagnostics and observe each tab waiting for the failure. The diagnostic will show you what fails when you see No Tuner in WMC.

Recently I had a bad CableCard that was causing pixelation occasionally. The diag showed the failure in real time.
You don't have to generate a log file report, however it wouldn't hurt anything to read a few of them.

Ask your wife what channel(s) she is having trouble with, open WMC and InfiniTV Diagnostics like the picture.....change the channel to the problem channel.....The InfiniTV Diag will reveal any problems....mine refreshes itself everytime I change the channel in WMC

Maybe the Ceton isn't the best tuner for you....InfiniTV does require a bit of effort once in awhile...
Attachments
CetonTVDiagnostic003.JPG